SE Minnesota insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE Minnesota insanity

Hi folks, I'm back. Girlfriend issues. Quickest way to kill an oven project.
    New pictures coming soon. The machine is back up and running! Cheers!

Comment

Well, I'm back. Building the foramen arch, which is curved in three dimensions. Lots of brick cutting.

Comment

Progress of home exterior, showing nearly completed oven tower.

Comment

That is really nice. You will be loving that when it's ready for action.....especially in the dead of winter when you have that magnificent fresh baked pizza and breads, etc coming out of the oven.
          WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Hey Eric,
            Glad to see you back.... Looking forward to you finishing
            Cheeers
            Mark

Comment

Sorry I took so long to reply. I don't see any immediate drawbacks to the concept. As my build nears completion, I realize over and over again the virtue of simplicity. The fire will consume air, and draw it through the dome arch, and the air that replaces this consumed air will have to come from somewhere. My house is leaky and probably provides enough draft to work fine, but a vent is a good idea, I think, for an indoor build.

I though perhaps by code, building inspections would defer to woodburning fireplaces and would require a fresh air vent. Somone posted on here about ashes blowing around and my take would be that it should not be any worse than a fireplace since a WFO is deeper. I was planning on designing mine with the 4 inch vent duct in a channel under the WFO imbedded in the concrete slab under the vermiculite or fibre board. Then it would come out in the vent landing area just before the WFO door seal. The kind that fireplaces uses pivot up and point the fresh air to the fireplace so in my case it would point to the inside of the oven. When not in use, just close the vent down. Anyone think of drawbacks with this design?

Funny enough I did not see any details of a vent inclusion in the FB oven kits plans. They are certified for indoor use but no mention of how to integrate a vent into the plans.

Thx[/QUOTE]

Comment

A few more courses left and then a little vacaction in Napa Valley, and then the curing fires.

Comment

Very close to finishing, now. The bricks at this point need to be stayed by the positioning arm for about thrree minutes each, so they don't slide off into the abyss.

Comment

Nice progress on your project!
                    I really like the simplicity of your indispensible tool. Great idea with just the nuts and a washer.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Holy cow that's awesome! So where are you in MN? I might have to swing out and have a pizza next winter instead of walking out to my 'outdoor' oven.. ;(
                      Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                        Nice progress on your project!
                        I really like the simplicity of your indispensible tool. Great idea with just the nuts and a washer.
                        Thank you! The center of the oven floor has a (temporary) piece of wood, with a 3/4 inch hole, in which there is a short length of 3/4 steel rod from the junkyard. To this is welded a cheap hardware store hinge, with is in turn welded to the threaded rod. One side of the hinge has been marked, so that if that side is used throughout the positioning, the radius will be constant throughout the build. The hinges are slightly assymetric.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
                          Holy cow that's awesome! So where are you in MN? I might have to swing out and have a pizza next winter instead of walking out to my 'outdoor' oven.. ;(
                          Hi! Thanks! I'm in Rochester. First fire in about two weeks. First pizza in about three. Hope to have it down pat by -30 F time, so swing by anytime!

Comment

Late night FINISHING the pizza oven project, that began last September. A work lamp illuminates the dome, and it almost seems as if the oven is glowing, and giving off its own incandesence. In reality, if the thing got this hot (from the color about 1900-2000F) then I would be in a heap of trouble, as would be my house. But just think how fast you could crank out the neopolitan pizzas!

Comment

Aside from girlfriend issues, this is the other reason my build has taken so long--the opening arch. I don't know what possessed me, other than some senseless bravado, but in any case I like it. The arch curves in three dimensions, and forms itself a very slight "dome" shape, with a sharp apex, which will hopefully act as a smoke plenum and minimize the stuff heading out into my kitchen. Cutting the bricks on the wet saw to make these smultaneous curves took many a beer.

Comment

Eric,,
                                If thats the kind of work after a few beers,, My suggestion,, keep beer close by... Arch looks great,,, Love it,,, doing a great job,, forget about the girlfriend,, you can always get a new one,, Your oven however,,, WILL stay with you as long as you want... Nice Job

Cheers
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X