SE Minnesota insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE Minnesota insanity

That arch is fantastic. I am getting tempted to buy a better saw because I don't think I can come anywhere near what I want with a little wet tile saw and a grinder.
    WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Wow! That arch picture is an optical illusion - At first it looks like a dome make out of paper thin bricks. Weird!
      But once your eyes focus properly - wow! It's very nice.
      cool!
      c

Comment

I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!
        Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
          I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!
          Awesome. I can't wait to get to where you are at!

Comment

Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
              Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.

Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!

Comment

Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
                You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!

Comment

Looks great, Eric! Look forward to reports of pizza!
                  Jay

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
                    Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
                    You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!
                    Thanks Spaltgirl....yeah I checked with them 2.88 a brick...I live in Nordeast so It's convenient enough.

Did you use the same bricks for the floor?

I know they want a ridiculous amount for the 12x12 floor tiles...

Comment

Originally posted by realjaydub View Post
                      Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!
                      I bought mine from Rochester Brick (I think it's a Northstar company), and buying in bulk at contractor prices got me 280 full bricks at just a few cents over a dollar a piece.

Comment

Thanks again for the kind words. Hello, again, Splatgirl!

First curing fire next Friday!

Comment

Yikes. 2.88 IS a lot. I think I paid closer to $2 from them, and yea, that's what I used for the floor, too. Did not know about or think to inquire on the 12x12. How about soapstone for the floor? There are a couple of active threads about it if you poke around a bit.
                          Don't worry, It'll be worth it regardless. Best project ever.

Comment

First fire! Actually prior to this post, there have now been three curing fires. The vent and arch work beautifully. One large, full-thickness crack evolved from the soldiers to nearly the keystone of the cupola. Plan to repair this today and then proceed with curing process. I can taste them pizzas....

Comment

Crack repaired. Am letting the mortar in the crack air dry for a day, then back to gentle curing. My oven now has instant character, even before the first pizza!

Comment

The trim work is not finished, but it's a fully functional indoor pizza-making battle station.

Comment

Working...
                                X