X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi all from Aussie

Originally posted by robertjusher View Post
    I've seen your build Dave.
    I will be happy if mine turns out as well.
    Your build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html

So far this build has taught me-

-Pouring a slab is hard work
    -Block work is not easy as it looks
    -Filling blocks does your back in
    -Everything takes longer then you think
    -Every thing will cost more then you think
    -If you think you can get that last mix done before it rains, you can't
    -It will rain on your day you planned to build.
    -Rendering is a bitch !
    -The more you read and the more advice you get the more you notice everyone has different idea's and theory's ( often a good thing)

If hebel works for you Dave then hebel it is for me too. Kinda becouse I have already got it. Enough for my oven was just under $50. No mixing, mess etc. Might be going against some advice but it has worked for enough people to convence me.
    What did you use to fix your hebel in place.

Aussie Pete- What are you using for under floor insulation?
    Rob
    Rod
    Use a slurrie of fireclay and water and a 10 mm tile notched trowel ( as per the forno instructions for setting the heath bricks) The inportant thing to remember there not tiles... so you want them to butt together without the slurrie getting inbetween. Use your brick trowl to clear 10 mm away from the edges and when you lay the next block use the trowel handle to tap them level.

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave,
      I was just checking as the plans are not based on floor bricks going on hebel.
      I pick up my fire bricks tomorrow from CLaypave. They seem the cheapest and are the closest for me.
      Going the full fire brick build. I have already gone to my budget with what I have brought so far, no sense short cutting now.
      I will use fire clay homebrew to fill in the gaps the wedges leave in the bricks but will use the airset mortar to "glue" the blocks together. I am going for a as few cuts as possable build so no work of art to look at but solid and good cooker I hope.
      The rain let of just long enough today to lay out the hebel and work out sizes etc.
      More tomorrow , got to love rdo's
      Rob

Comment

Hey Rob, claypave is where i got my firebricks also, they seem ok for price.
        have you got everything else for your oven sorted. I found a mob over in Acacia Ridge that do thermal ceramics, board & blankets, seems pretty cheap also (someone on here led me to them).
        The rain eased nicely for me today, got a small amount of tiling done, will have to wait until next weekend to do anything further,(might have to drag missus out to help too )

unfortunately my build will be a long one, weekends for me is about it.
        I keep telling the missus ...."i'm not in a hurry for progress, i'm taking time for quality".....aka, i dont get enough time off )

Its all good..atleast this way, things will dry & cure nicely for me (slowly)
        i've been wanting an oven for so long....little bit longer wont hurt.
        Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

HI
          I have most of the materials sorted. Clay pave and Total efractory seem to have everything.
          I still am unsure of tiles/ colours, etc. I plan on building the dome, cure , insulate and first coat of render before I do any pretty work, I am a slop !
          I have spent the last hour trying to work out --- do i put the first row of dome bricks on the floor OR cut the floor round and build round it. From what I have read around is the norm, however just read about a crack in a very well made oven caused by something geting between the floor and walls. I am leaning towards on the floor, not around it. On the floor will also make the cutting so much easier,,,,
          Any thoughts ? Dave, Al, David s ????
          I am also going to buy arch bricks to make the entry/arch, I hope to make life easy for myself.
          Rob
          Last edited by robertjusher; 01-29-2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I probably cant help you much, as my oven wont be a full brick style.
            I was going to give the total refractory management a call tomorrow, hows their pricing for the board & the blanket...do you have prices ?
            I think i will build my dome, then will try and cure a little before i do the insulation on top, that seems to be the way to go, will help get rid of majority of the moisture anyway (i hope). Then i will insulate with as much blanket as i can get a hold of, then will lay down another refractory layer ( if i've got enough left over), cure that, then lay render down to finish off.
            My thinking is the more mass i have, the better it has to be.
            Aussie Pete

Comment

do i put the first row of dome bricks on the floor OR cut the floor round and build round it.
              I would always go for the oven on top of the hearth, there are arguments for both on top and inside, I really doubt there is any difference apart from not having to cut the hearth as neat.

You always look for the easiest option when you lay bricks for a living, why make more work for yourself for no reward.
              Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
                My thinking is the more mass i have, the better it has to be.
                To a point, there are trade offs with mass, time, fuel.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Al
                  My thoughs as well. Why make life hard !
                  I think cutting bricks is notgoing to be a strong point.
                  Total refractory does not have a price list online but Daren is very helpful and knows all prices off the top of his head and is easy enough to get on the phone.
                  Rob

Comment

DAMM RAIN
                    I get a day offf and it rains all day so far.
                    I did get toClaypave and have left $575.00 poorer but have most of what I need.
                    On with the build !

Comment

Gudday
                      I brought 100 firebricks at first ,the child saw the bill and was not impressed.....didn't show her the bill for the next 75

Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

i must have got of lightly, my firebrick bill was only about $150 or so, not doing the pompeii thing, so understandable i suppose.
                        Hey Rob, did you see claypaves pizza oven out the front...dont think they use it much.
                        Aussie Pete

Comment

The oven at clay pave gets lit on the odd SAturday morning. It's one of their kits. You will need a small forrest to get that thing hot !
                          My bill was for 100 standard size fire bricks, 15 arch bricks (cheating), 20x 230mm SQ blocks for the base, fire clay and a drum of air set cement. The airset is very solid and will requie some serious mixing.
                          Just need to price insulation blanket,or maybe vermicemnt?
                          Then render, then tiles, then finish cureing then Pizza....
                          Next hand op in less then 2 weeks so the build will stop for a month or so,,,

Comment

yeh i got the SQ 230 x 230 blocks for the floor 3" thick, how thick did u get.
                            i already have all the blanket & fireclay. Am thinking of buying more blanket though, let me know what prices you got, we may be able to buy extra, might save on costs?
                            I'm getting some calsil board also.
                            Aussie Pete

Comment

when a "Mandarinian" logs on, let me know
                              Aussie Pete

Comment

T The airset is very solid and will requie some serious mixing.
                                Sounds like its going off, Id take it back, it should be like thickish custard, without the skin.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X