Forno Bravo Expo 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forno Bravo Expo 2010

We are thinking of hosting our first Forno Bravo Expo in late February 2010 in Northern California.

I thought I would throw the idea out there and see what everyone thinks.

We would host seminars on oven installation, pizza, bread, oven management, grilling and wood oven theory. We would build ovens, eat a lot of pizza and have some fun. :-) The event would be on a Saturday and Sunday, with a good party Saturday afternoon or early evening. We would invite FB oven owners, dealers, Pompeii builders, Masonry Heater Association members, the local press -- everyone who is an FOFB (Friend of FB).

It might be a little bit of a rush getting ready for late winter, but I think the timing is good. The weather here is good in late Winter and everyone can prepare for the upcoming spring without being away from work during the busy spring/summer season.

Well, what do you think? Is it a good idea? Can you come? Do you have any recommendations for us?

Let us know and we can take this to the next step!
    James
    Definitely. Sign me up.
    30.65%
    Possibly. I won't know for a while.
    35.48%
    I want to come, but can't do that weekend.
    4.84%
    No. I can't make it.
    29.03%
    Last edited by james; 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Forno Bravo Expo 2010

Hi James!

A nice idea!

I could be talked into flying to San Francisco for a long weekend and some oven-related activities! (but I might have to spend a couple of hours at the wineries!!!)

I love the idea! I would say "Go for it!"
    Jay

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. Whereabouts in Northern California?
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Got me interested too. Might have to bring some Kangaroo steaks.

Comment

I was thinking Monterey. Great winter weather.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm interested. If it hinges on how many people would attend, you might want to choose some tentative dates & sketch out a rough outline of "activities". Then see how many people RSVP for those dates.

Comment

Agreed. I have started research web services that do event registration, sign-up, etc. I will try to set up a rough outline, dates and a place to RSVP/register.

I will have more to report shortly.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I like the idea of holding it in Monterey
                Ed

Comment

I know this won't change your mind in any way, but I could probably come if you held it in early summer...

It sounds like a really great idea anyway!
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Maybe two more,specially in Monterey--my brother lives there so I get the proverbial two birds!

Comment

James,

Great idea!

For those of us who probably can't make it, maybe you take some video of seminars, Q&A sessions, or even the whole weekend in general, and dump it to DVD or ebook it and sell it through the FB store, for a low, low, introductory price of course.

It can be billed as The First Annual...... those first annual things can become a real collectors item after a few years

John

Comment

James - I love the idea and plan on being there. I also really like JAGs idea about maybe trying to do some filming for those that can't make it.

Comment

I really like the filming idea. We will have to get a volunteer to do that, and then FB can post it our YouTube channel.

Nice idea.

Telehort, do you want to present a session on mobile ovens?
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Since James has decided to have this Expo in his back yard (figuratively speaking), I figured I would help by promoting the Monterey Penisula as a great place to come to. For those that are relatively local (Northern and Central California), you know. But for those who may have to justify the trip, either in their own minds, or to their sigificant others, here are some reasons to come (other than for the pizza and the company!) - in no particular order:

Shopping and Restaurants - Carmel-By-The-Sea for the upscale art gallaries. Cannery Row and Old Fisherman's Wharf for the more touristy attractions.

Wine Tasting Tour - We may not be Sonoma Valley, but Monterey can hold its own (so I am told - I am not a wine drinker).

Golfing - Come out a couple of weeks early, and see Bill Murray on the links at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Otherwise, bring your clubs and money!

Monterey Bay Aquarium - The whale tank in Star Trek IV The Voyage Home was located here thru movie magic (the aquarium is real, the whale tank is not).

Drive down Hwy 1 south of Carmel towards Big Sur - bring your camera, but keep your eyes on the road! Where the mountains meet the sea...

Take a race driving class at Laguna Seca raceway (not cheap, by the way!).

If you are nuts, bring your surfboard and wetsuit and surf (they are out there any time of the year, no matter how cold).

If you are REALLY nuts, bring your drysuit and scuba gear and dive the kelp fields - and no, the water never really warms up (needless to say, I am a warm-water diver).

Whale watching tour, or a harbor tour to see the sea lions, sea otters, etc.

If you bring your dog, Carmel beach is an off-leash area where your pooch can frolick in the surf and sniff other dogs.

As far as the weather is concerned, this area rarely gets real hot (as compared to Arizona, where I used to live), and rarely gets real cold (as compared to Connecticut, where I used to live). But Feb.-March timeframe will require a jacket. And it does occasionally rain in the winter, so be prepared.

Come Early. Stay Late. Have Fun.
                            Ed

Comment

First time I've ever wanted to go to California....
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X