Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My IT design

Comment

Has anyone poured cement outside the first course to keep them in place better?
      is this a bad idea?

Comment

Comment

Actually, a vcrete or pcrete ring (5 to 1 ratio} around the "full" height soldiers would be advisable as buttressing. There will be quite a bit of horizontal load where the dome meets the vertical soldier. There is nothing wrong with full soldiers it just that builders need to be aware of the buttressing that may be needed. Half height would of been better but you are past that point. It is discussed on the forum quite often. Is this a pompeii or a low dome?
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Pompei. Will do a 20x12” opening. 23” high is expected.

Comment

I have access to vermiculite and I have 3 bags of Portland cement waiting.
              I built the support stand a bit larger than needed. I think I will use the side blocks to form in the vermiculite/concrete.

Comment

Should I trim the insulating board to be flush with the soldiers?

Comment

63% of the oven height is the recommended opening height. Based on 12" high arch opening and 23" dome height ( I would place the IT in the vertical position to confirm, with the pivot point off the floor) the dome height might be higher) the ratio is 12/23=52%

You do not need to trim CaSi board if you are "enclosing" the oven, just leave them proud. If you are not enclosing the oven then you will need to trim CaSi board. It is too late now but we recommend weep holes under the CaSi board, wet insulation is one of the most common problems with poor oven performance.

Are you doing a tapered inner arch, it appears that the bricks you have cut show this. It is the best way to match the dome and inner arch. If you are not familiar, then do a search on the forum. But here is a pic showing how the IT works for a tapered inner arch and you have to use full length bricks to accomplish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hemiarch.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	417003
                  Russell

Comment

Thanks Russell. I do appreciate your comments.
                    My IT tool says 23” is the height. So perhaps I should plan on a 14” high opening.

Regards
                    David

Comment

And yes, I think I will do a tapered arch

Comment

Russell. I don’t see how to search the forum for specific content.

David

Comment

I found the search option!

Comment

Will This 6 inch chimney be sufficient?
                            (42” Oven)

Thanks for responses.
                            David

Comment

No. See attached Click image for larger version  Name:	chimney.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	417019
                              Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X