No announcement yet.

My IT design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stumbled across your post regarding arch height in relation to dome height. I've been trying to find information about arch height and width. Is there a page or pages or a formula that discusses height and width. I assume that measurements are based on interior dome height. Is this correct? Since I am building a 39" oven then I am currently figuring a 19.5" interior dome height and I come up with a 12.28 arch height. I also assume this refers to the inner arch. Finally, is there any tutorial information where others have posted details about joining the dome to the arch?
    Thanks!

Comment

Dr. Lee, have you started a build thread yet or are you still working out details? I was going to post some detailed replies to your questions but didn't want to hijack Dyerema's thread
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Comment

JR. I too could use some assistance joining the chimney landing area to the oven. I think I have seen people warn against joining it directly but I am not sure what the optimal method would be

Comment

Is is appropriate to dial in my IT and have my roof height at 21, or have the roof closer to 23?

I think that changing the IT length will create “steps” in the brick instead of having them smooth.

Thoughts please.

Comment

Sure but you need to do it transitionally over several courses. The difference between the radius at the base and the radius of the top of the dome is exactly the distance of the pivot point off the floor elevation. This is why an adjustable IT is so helpful in making adjustments. You will also need the adjustments when you do you tapered inner arch in order to align ID of dome with arch.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell. I hear your preference for bringing the ceiling height into the correct size

i have sized my opening accordingly

Comment

Comment

Do I need to taper the arch bricks for the support of the arch?

Comment

Builder's choice, although the outer joint width gets quite wide and sometimes this is an issue with factory mix, IE heatstop 50 which has a recommended max joint width of 1/2".
                      Russell

Comment

Comment

Cut the first arch brick to be flush with next dome course?

Comment

Russell I am using Vesuvius super 3000 premix and Vesuvius dry mould it x

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapered arch.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	417070 You really should start at the top of the arch (commonly called "top dead center" TDC then work your way down left and right of TDC. TDC will be the longest final cut brick in the arch. The brick you have cut is only part one of the final shape (which was the ID of the dome, the brick still needs a cut the matches the slope angle from the pivot point to the ID of the dome then extending to the OD of the dome. Go back to post 9 and study the pic I attached.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-07-2019, 02:22 PM.
                              Russell

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X