Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windage
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

She's fair with handguns...but she is very good with a shotgun on clays!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

The oven is looking great,, Love the shot of your wife,,, How deadly is she with those things ??? sure hope you can run fast ...

Keep up the exceptional work..
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

I took the cue from the youtube video of the commercial oven built by David Moore found here...so I didn't "invent" it, just modified it to suit my oven.

YouTube - Building of a wood-burning pizza oven.

Burn it out? Heavens no..it took too much to design, cut, fit and assemble. I will simply pull it down, clean off the staples and keep it (and the arch support and worksheets) handy for the next one I build near the beach in St.Croix...(wishful, I know)

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

That's the most complex form system I've ever seen. Wow. Do you plan on burning it out after the build?

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Finally able to get back to work on the oven...finished up the perlcrete girdle, trimmed the centers (support frames) and began setting them..pics to follow.
    Roger

I cracked my inner arch and decided to totally redo with different mortar anyway.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

that is why I married a little gal...they can't kick your ass too bad...unless they are armed.

Here is my little wife...lol

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

94lbs? She's strong, but she's not that strong.

She did unload a pile of concrete blocks from the car though. That was a thrill to watch. Whenever she started to complain I would point out that they were 6" blocks, unlike the 8" blocks I had built the stand out of. Heh heh.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

How come you didn't just ask your wife to get the portland out of the trunk for you? .... yeah, same reason I wouldn't ask my wife...

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Similar but far less serious anecdote: I left a bag of portland in the back of the car because I threw my back out and couldn't get it out of the car again. Then, my wife and I go back to HD to get bark for the yard and she starts chucking wet plastic bags of bark in the car faster than I can stop her. I see my paper bag of portland getting wet, freak out, and yank the bags of bark out as fast as possible. We covered the portland with blankets and then continued. <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

note to self...buy portland from a dealer who moves alot of it...DON'T buy from the lumber yard that keeps the pile uncovered in an open shed....I just threw out a batch that had been too wet and lost the weekend's worth of work on the oven...I didn't buy from my ususal source...trying to save a trip out of town...dohh !!

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

17 bags so far...at least 20 more to go, just for the firm cladding...plus 10 to 15 for the loose fill insulation..

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Once Again...

Very Impressive.. Do you have an Idea of how much perlite you will be needing/using ??

Mark

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

detail of how I "sewed" the masonite together at the lap joint and tied to re-bar.

I will tie the re-bar into lighter iron in the perlcrete cladding over the dome.
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Started pouring the perlcrete in the girdle forms at last...I ran the crete up past the top of the brick to give the first dome course more purchase and using less mortar...that stuff is expensive!

Pizza at home last night.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

eprante,
    Yeah, it's growing bigger than I had first imagined...but the size will come in handy.

And yes, that friend is one of my shooting buddies, a good instructor/competitor and carries full time, like myself. My wife and 2 out of three daughters carry (the third is going to take her class this summer). Most of my friends carry. Here in KY, all who love freedom and cherish liberty carry their firearm of choice. KY is one of the freer states in the Union.
    Roger

Leave a comment:

Working...
X