Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

Hey Wind,
    I was just on ebay,, Look under Outdoor wood boilers, they have all kinds of parts and things needed to build one.. they have a set of plans for a side arm boiler that sounds exactly what you are talking about,,,
    Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

hey wind,,
    THats way better then what I was thinking... I was gonna say maybe you could put a third zone in and either send it outside into the ground, or somehow back into the oven.. gonna have to think about this one,, Im sure it can be worked out...

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Funny, while reading the post I just put up, the answer dawned on me....instead of tubing to pick up the heat....set a tank on the side, low on the dome (not leaning on the dome itself)....open to air, so no pressure, welded up of heavy steel. I could put a toilet fill valve in it to keep it from running dry. Something with a footprint like a five gallon bucket. I have a rocket scientist friend that can do the math to figure out the size can needed to heat the floor..
    Comments?

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Mark, what a deviously efficient mind you have there!....in fact I have already installed PEX tubing in the concrete floor of the prep kitchen and bathrooms/ office. Those rooms were done in 2 pours, so there is 2 zones. I will use a second water heater with the "oven heat" running through a domestic arm as the resevoir, which can, by valves, either heat the floor in winter, or domestic hot water in summer.

I am thinking of about 2 wraps of 1 inch copper...my only issues, (which is very serious) is how to dispose of the surplus heat...the dilema is; once I have water in the coil, it must circulate constantly or it will flash off to steam...I could drain it between work loads, but again, steam is the issue when water is shot through it. It is one of those things, that if worked out, could be great, but if all the bugs weren't considered, could be troublesome. Last thing I need would be to have that water tube rupture somewhere under the cladding and have to tear the oven apart looking for a leak, or worse yet, repair damage to dome...
    any thoughts?

Yeah, time lapse would be fun...but like most projects, I am so busy just doing it, I barely have time to document as I go...

And thanks Mark and everyone else for the encouraging words, they really do mean a lot as this project seems to be dragging on forever, (and not eveyone appreciates the work involved). I am bummed that I am not able to go to the Masonry Heater's week long seminar in NC next week...just too much to do here.
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hey Wind,,,
    Your oven is *&$$%@ Awesome... once you get that monster heated up you will hold the heat for days.... Doing a great job,, keep the pics coming... How about mounting a camera from the ceiling on a tripod and giving us a shot every time you lay a brick.. (just a thought, I know a little nutsy) but would be cool to do a time lapse.. With the amount of wood you will be burning in that massive monster, Have you thought about running a hot water coil around the top to heat your "hot water" to a holding tank or air handler for heat ?? I dont think it would take too much heat away from it as it is so massive....
    Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

3 course laid up close to the arch..first course took 48 of the big 10 inch brick, 2nd took 44, third took 42 of #1 tapers cut to fit good. Now I am out of my "recycled" brick...time to buy new ones! 134 in the dome so far..(doesn't include the walls, floor, arch or closing in on the arch..I am guessing 250 to 300 more brick..

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hey Wind..
    II picked up a nice piece of soapstone from the local guy of the website you put up.. nice stuff and cheap,,
    thanks
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Thanks for the pointer for soapstone. I called the local outlet and was pointed to a fabricator that had a few cut offs that would work. I ended up paying $55 for a good sized 30 by 36 inch slab of 3cm material. I was hoping for 6cm but in reality 3 is going to do everthing I need and then some. I'll post progress in my thread. Thanks Again Windage!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Finally to the stage where I can lay up the dome brick...! Got a few down (up?) last night.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...PICT0338-3.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/PICT0340.jpg

the extra layers of masonite is an attempt at creating a slight bulge in the roof to form a tunnel for exhaust air to the arch/ flue. My theory is to direct both the incoming air and outgoing gases to create a slow swirl in the bake chamber, at least down at the arch height.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

I think the big slabs like these were $100 each..they sell these thick slabs (60mm) x 30mm and different lengths, I chose 1000mm long to eliminate as many joints as I could.

they also have brick sizes..

Soapstone ON SALE : Discounted Soapstone Slabs : Soapstone Sink Sale

is the link to the place I got mine...shipping isn't too bad and they may have a dist. in your neck of the country...

Roger

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Roger,
    What did you pay per piece for the soapstone, if you don't mind.. I'm wondering what a landing area floor might cost.

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

me too mate! Well, over the past week, I have had very little time to work on it, but did get the lathe in. I started out with rips of 1 1/2 stock and then went to 3/4 stock because it bends better. I used a narrow crown stapler..worked great! Also started out with the jig saw to cut, then switched to big tin snips.

Tonight I rebuilt the arch that I bumped into last month, this time using better high temp mortar.

this is the thug that broke the first arch working out his punishment...

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

looks great! can't wait to see it fired up!

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

It is a DIY...in a commercial kitchen, so local health dept has oversight. This is the first case of a site built WFO in KY according to the Health Dept at the capital...they were perplexed at the lack of "NSF" stickers, having a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that it is built on site, rather than coming off a truck...pre-made.

I did not have to provide plans, but do have a working relationship with officials.

Insurance has not gone from residential to commercial yet, but here in KY, burning wood is very acceptable in many applications.

My only advice is to gather as much supportive data and tell them what you are doing, don't ask to do it...give them the data to cover their ass and should go better..
    my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• brokerjack
    replied

This looks like a DIy build. How are you doing with inspections/permitting?

I assume you wont get a UL or NSF certification for this? Any problem dealing with the local authorities? Did you have to provide plans? Get Permits? Etc.

I am looking to do a diy oven in C FL. And just trying to get ducks in a row. Any info or experience is much appreciated.

Also what does the insurance company think of this. Are they gonna jack up rate over a conventional gas fired pizza oven?

Thanks. And best of luck. Looks great!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X