Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moose13
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

Gongrats on a very cool build!
    The soapstone floor is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    Hey Roger,
    Sounds like a great plan, cant see any reason why it wouldnt work, and Its great you can change the bulb from the outside..

Mark
    In fact, my wife just had to change the bulb after 13 months of operation and did it in 5 minutes while I was gone...that simple!

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Ah, ok it makes sense now.. My father carried one in Korea..

Re the 50, again I'm looking forward to it.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

We will build the portable ourselves..50"will be easy after an 81"...LOL

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Chris,
    The 1911 reference was about the sidearm I carry (John Browning's semi-auto design of 1911)and someone on here posted a comment about it earlier.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Thanks Roger for the update! I wondered if the lower temps and thicker crusts were customer dictated and you verified that in fact they are.. At these temps you opened a few doors to other items and a broader audience, very cool, or hot as it may be.

I'll look forward to you portable build or purchase as the case may be.

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Chris, Sorry about the delays...I get email updates when a response to this thread is posted though.
    I chose not to attempt any hot water systems on this oven, the chance of something going wrong and shutting us down was just too great of a deterent. Besides, I have the opportunity to place a wood fired water stove outside to provide all the hot water I need to heat the floors.

Yes, we just passed 14 months of being open and the oven has earned alot of respect, both from we at the shop and our customers. We run it a bit under it's full temp capacity due to the thicker pizza our customers demand. Our philosophy is that "hillbillys need gourmet pizza too". Our main line of pie is typically thicker with toppings, so the lower temps allow an even bake. So yes, our temp is determined by the product line we offer. Our deck temp is around 500-600f and the dome is around 700 to 800f.
    We use a hybrid system of building pies on a flat pan and bake to 75% done on top, then yank out the pan to finish on the stone. This speeds up handling and gives size consistancy in the build, while still giving us the stone crisped finish on the crust.
    We just went to a new flour, GM's Harvest King...unbleached, unbromated hard red winter wheat giving great taste and a healthier appeal...also switched to Stanislaus "pizzaolo" sauce doctored to our taste spec's with great success.
    This winter we expect to get our portable oven finished and running for trials in the spring. The oven will be built on a steel pallet separate from the trailer in a modular concept. More details on that later.
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

PSS
    What are the results of the hot water system that wraps your oven.

Thanks Again..

Chris

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Windage,
    You're closing in on 15 months, and its been a couple of months since you last update, I have a couple of quick questions..

I somehow missed the 1911 reference and am unclear if you're talking equipment or? And it sounds like although the oven doesn't use a great deal of wood to keep at temps, you're running your deck temps at most around 700F. Is this right and if so is it to facilitate a broader spectrum of menu items?

Thanks

Chris

PS My bet is that you're not checking in all that often so a delay in a response is expected.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

sorry about the double post, didn't think the first one "took"..

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Can't beat the 1911...anyways, posted more pix on our facebook page;
    Al's & Arty's Pizza - Restaurant, Pizza Restaurant - Vanceburg, KY | Facebook

oven still doing well, business is growing. Attempting to do a naturally leavened dough using General Mill's "Harvest King" flour, as I can't seem to be able to buy King Arthur's "sir Gallahad" around here...

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Our Facebook page is up and running, showing some shots of the oven and inside...oven still performing well..

Al's & Arty's Pizza - Restaurant, Pizza Restaurant - Vanceburg, KY | Facebook

thanks everyone!
    ps, just started a natural levan to try with some GM "Harvest King" flour...we'll see if it has enough gluten to hang in there with the hand tossing...

Leave a comment:

• NYC
    replied

Love the 1911.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

I will keep the 60qt Hobart as a dedicated cheese shredder and small "specialty" batch machine. I plan to do a one-day-a-week whole wheat dough for the diabetics here in the area.
    To make those "puffy" breadsticks, simply flatten regular dough, cut in strips, let rise at room temp for around 3 hours, brush on your garlic butter, top with cheese, sprinkle your basil, bake off a little under done..presto!
    Our 81" is the first "site-built" WFoven in KY...the health dept at the state level had never had to approve one...ask them, it may be easier than you think to approve your build.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyVelderrain
    replied

Man! that cheesy bread looks good!!
    Thank you for the info, helps alot. I built an oven for a hobby and weekend pizza cooking but I think I'm going to buy one of the Forno Bravo's commercial model for the restaurant so that I won't have any issues with the health department here. They are pretty strict about stuff here where I live.
    Here is my build thread.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...uild-7866.html

Do you plan on selling your old mixer or trading it in? I think I will start out with a 60qt mixer at first and then see if I need to move up.
    thanks again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X