Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C5dad
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

Dave,

What an incredible build. I can say for myself that I am bowing east towards KY! Next time I am somewhat out that way, I will be there for one of them pizza's to just say I snatched a morsel from a giant!

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

Dear Godzilla oven builder aka Windage

Do you have any current photos, I would love to see the finished product and hear how your oven is performing.

Leave a comment:

• tpd
    replied

Incredible, wish I lived close enough to stop in for dinner.

Leave a comment:

• calipizzanapoletana
    replied

Windage,
    Could you post some pictures of the oven in action and the light setup?
    What would you have done differently the next time?

Amazing build and dedication.
    Best of luck with the opening!!

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Terry and all,
    Wow, we had our first "open house" tonight for friends and family....20+ folk cramed in to eat 18 pizza made...average bake time; 2 minutes. Rave reviews. Hope to open this coming week.
    Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words that helped keep me going over this past year. Pics coming.
    If I have one thing to say to the person waiting to start till you learn "more, or enough"...get going now. Post your triumphs and failures, folks here will help you get through.
    Happy baking!

Leave a comment:

• cannyfradock
    replied

Windage

I have followed your build from the start of this thread to it's final glory.

Although I have built a wood-burning oven myself, I have learned a great deal from your " 81" first build". I love your approach and the technique's you have used in achieving your final result.

Your last picture looks really good, but to anybody that hasn't followed your thread, won't appreciate the work that's gone into achieving your goal.

Many thanks for sharing this special build with us

Terry

Leave a comment:

• lwalper
    replied

You're about 5 hours from my house, but I can almost see a day trip coming. Get it cooking and I just might drop in on you.

BTW - don't use alanthus for firing your oven. It stinks (smells like coal oil, and no, there's no creosote in my oven) and gives a bit of an "off" flavor to the product. Pretty nasty stuff!
    Last edited by lwalper; 08-01-2010, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drogers
    replied

Your business would be a great stop for the Food Network program " Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". It would give your community some nice exposure.

Leave a comment:

• woodfried
    replied

I want one!

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

tile on wall and oven hot

Leave a comment:

• lwalper
    replied

And I thought my oven was hungry?? Wow that pizza looks great! That's our plans for tomorrow, so have the fire lit now. If the dough was ready we could have pizza tonight - 745? on the hearth, 780? in the dome after 4 hours of fire with "junk" wood (a alanthus snag fell in the yard a few days ago so thought this would be a good way to do some yard cleanup). The hearth 5 inches deep is 535?. I'll let this fire burn down to saturate the dome and see what we have in there tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

So far the oven has exeeded my expectations...after a week of slow fire, then 2 weeks rest, I fired for another week, building more fire each day till I hit 1,050f, then let off for a couple hours till it "cooled" to 850 to 900f and got the pizza in under 2 minute thing.
    I stop feeding it bits of dry wood at around 8 pm and oven coasts from 800 down to 500 by next morning (with no door yet). To bring it back up takes a whole bushel basket of small, dry hardwoods feed over 3 hours. I don't have my various thermocouples hooked up, so I don't know how deep the heat is going just yet. I am using less than a pickup truck load of hardwood per week and around 2 trash cans full per day of small hardwood pieces from a local cabinet factory.
    Lots of cracks everywhere, but none threatening. Outside the dome temp seems to be ambient, it's hot here, but dome around 90-95f. Have a few hot spots around the "girdle" which was poured and therefore more dense/less air entrapment and is not as good an insulator as the top portion of the dome, which was troweled on "fluffier".
    43 bags of perlite, 10 bags of CA cement, 12 bags of regular portland cement, 1 bag lime, 3 bags fireclay, over 1,000 firebricks and uncounted hours of labor...just to get some good pizza! more pix coming.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

I stand corrected. I see the relevant photos now. Big enough *and* sufficient heat retention to roast a buffalo! Probably takes a quarter-cord to cold-start though.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Originally posted by BrickStoneOven View Post
    This thing is huge, isn't it going to take years for it to get to pizza temp?

yes at first - but it's going to be used every day - so it will still be hot from the day before - and just need a top up each day.

with that amount of mass - I'm guessing it would take about a week to cool down to room temp.

Leave a comment:

• BrickStoneOven
    replied

Originally posted by kebwi View Post

Am I wrong?
    No. That is why I was asking because he was using the full length of the brick to make the dome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X