Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windage
    replied
    since 'photo bucket' became 'photo pirate' and hijacked our pics..these are from the last few months..

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    seems like a little over a thousand..with very few storebought modern bricks used, most all came from salvage in the next town over that had a firebrick factory

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    Out of curiosity, how many bricks did you use in the end?

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    that is a screw jack leveler from a builder's scaffold, so that I could simply lower it down when done for removal...worked great!

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    Originally posted by windage View Post
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

Finally able to get back to work on the oven...finished up the perlcrete girdle, trimmed the centers (support frames) and began setting them..pics to follow.
    Roger

I cracked my inner arch and decided to totally redo with different mortar anyway.

What did you use to make the metal stand that hold the circular wooden ring upon which thtimber arches sit? Is it from a swivling chair?

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    most of the concept and ratios came from the book; 'The Bread Builders' by Daniel Wing and Alan Scott..the technical help came from my good friend, now Congressman, Thomas Massie

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    found that in the very first paragraph of this thread..."6ft 9 inch inside and 24" tall dome, thick walls and perlite insulation."

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    I will have to dig those up...!

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    How high is the 81 inch oven's dome? Did you use a particular formula, or you just found it to be a convenient height?
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    Alomran, only cracks in the arch from being hit with firewood. Mortar recipes very early in the thread, wouldn't change it. No cracks in dome interior, baking 5 years now. Thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    Originally posted by windage View Post
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

While the oven was so cool during our run of the mobile pizza van, I took the opportunity to rebuild the cracked brick arch on the big oven. Careless firewood "chucking" took it's toll with cracked mortar joints and smoke leaks. I dug out the original arch support template, removed and cleaned the tapers and reset them...even adding some brick to the hearth that didn't get finished at the build..
    Hi, Well done for the great efforts. I am building an oven about your size.
    1- What can you teach us about the cracks?
    2- What sort of high temperature mortar did use?
    3- Do you think the mixture you have researched was not the appropriate one? did you use hydrated lime with fire clay?
    4- did you get cracks inside the dome or only in the arch?
    We look forward to learn more from you. thanks again

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    thanks, RandyJ, but I have experienced way more failures than success. I just try to sort through the pile of failures as fast as I can to find a success.

Here is a project I started couple years ago, perhaps my biggest undertaking yet...the rebuild and refloat of a 60ft Alden Schooner...gonna be my "retirement home" a link to my page regarding that project.

http://amschooner.org/node/361

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    You said it. Thoes of us that hang around here and chat with or advise others have much higher ranks than you even though you have much more skill and knowledge than the likes of me. I just do my best to help out. Sounds like you have been very successful in business. I am glad to hear that. I remember your build it was very impressive. It is nice to see a small guy like me make a good go of it.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    my first post since the forum hosting change..I like it..I just noticed that even after this 81 inch build, a 52 inch mobile build in the moving van, a 48 inch on a smaller trailer, several builds with friends and many tens of thousands of wood fired brick oven pies...I am still a lowly "apprentice"...funny, but goes to show it doesn't matter what you do, it's how much you talk about what you do in life that people count...ha ha

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied
    still going strong!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X