Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please check if my insulating materials are correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please check if my insulating materials are correct?

Hi everyone,

I'm about to order all of the insulating material for my pizza oven. For the floor, I plan on doing 2" Foamglas and then 2" CalSil. For the dome insulation I will do 3" of ceramic fiber blanket. Can you please double check that I am ordering the correct material? There's so many options and I want to make sure the specs are correct.

Foamglas
    Compressive Strength : 60 psi
    Density : 7.18 pcf
    Flame Spread Index : 0
    Flexural Strength : 41 psi
    Insulation Thickness : 2 in
    Item Name : Foamglas Block
    Length : 24 in
    Material : Foamglass
    Smoke Developed Index : 0
    Sub Brand : ONE
    Temperature Rating : 121 to 800 deg F
    Thermal Conductivity : 0.14 to 0.54 Btu-in/hr-sq-ft-deg F
    Water Vapor Sorption : <0.2 %
    Width : 18 in

Thermo-12 CaSi Boards
    Compressive Strength : >100 psi
    Construction : Flat
    Density : >14 pcf
    Flexural Strength : >50 psi
    Item Name : Calcium Silicate Block
    Length : 36 in
    Material : Calcium Silicate
    Special Features : Non-Water Resistant
    Sub Brand : Thermo-12 Gold
    Temperature Rating : 1200 deg F
    Thermal Conductivity : 0.344 to 0.647 Btu-in/hr-sq-ft-deg F

Blanket
    Color : White
    Density : 8 pcf
    Insulation Thickness : 1 in
    Item Name : Ceramic Fiber Blanket
    Length : 25 ft
    Material : Ceramic Fiber
    Series/Model : Durablanket S
    Specific Heat : 0.27 Btu/lb-F
    Sub Brand : Fiberfrax
    Temperature Rating : 2300 deg F
    Tensile Strength : 7 psi
    Width : 24 in

For those that ordered through Distribution International, how was your experience? Seems like they only work with contractors/businesses and not your typical DIY guy.. but I could be wrong.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by joemyself; 03-30-2021, 09:28 AM. Reason: Edited: Added specs instead of links

I deleted the direct commercial links (not allowed) but that said, DI is a good source. I purchased CaSi and FoamGlas from DI and the blanket is the right product.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

+1 on Russell's advice. I too got my insulation from DI. Just make sure that you are ordering the solid Thermo-12 Gold board. The boards on the left in the pic are scored to fit large piping and round vessels. Someone mistakenly ordered the scored for their oven. You want the solid board. It also comes in water resistant and non-water resistant. I believe that the water resistant may have just a little less insulating factor. I have no experience with it. Regardless, you will want to keep you oven dry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CalSil.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	436732
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        I deleted the direct commercial links (not allowed) but that said, DI is a good source. I purchased CaSi and FoamGlas from DI and the blanket is the right product.
        Whoops. Sorry about that - I did not realize that was against community guidelines. I am aware that posting links to promote a product is not allowed, however, that was not my intention at all and was just linking for help.

Anyways, thanks for your help. It sounds like I have the right blanket material and CaSi board picked out. The only thing I still need help with is the foamglas. Since I cannot post links I will copy over the specs. Please let me know if this is correct?

FoamGlas:

Comment

I've just updated the original post with specs instead of links. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

May I ask why you arent just doing 4" Casi board instead of doing 2" casi board and 2" foam glass?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaners15 View Post
              May I ask why you arent just doing 4" Casi board instead of doing 2" casi board and 2" foam glass?
              It's because he has chosen the non-water resistant CaSi board, so the FoamGlas will provide a water resistant layer (+insulation) between his concrete hearth and the "water loving" version of CaSi board. The combination of CaSi+FoamGlas board materials will provide excellent heat retention and also help keep his oven floor insulation dry. If he chose to use the Thermo-12 Gold board with the water resistant option, he wouldn't gain anything by using the FoamGlas.
              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post

It's because he has chosen the non-water resistant CaSi board, so the FoamGlas will provide a water resistant layer (+insulation) between his concrete hearth and the "water loving" version of CaSi board. The combination of CaSi+FoamGlas board materials will provide excellent heat retention and also help keep his oven floor insulation dry. If he chose to use the Thermo-12 Gold board with the water resistant option, he wouldn't gain anything by using the FoamGlas.
                Exactly. Sable, do you have any insight on the Foamglas I am going to order? Does this look like the right stuff?

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Joe. The compression value for that FoamGlas block is a little low, we normally look for about 70 psi. That said, because the CaSi sheet will be laid on top, the weight will be distributed nicely & these FoamGlas blocks will work just fine. (I suspect you've already ordered & installed it...so relax & enjoy the build.)
                  Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                  Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                  Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                  Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    +1 on Russell's advice. I too got my insulation from DI. Just make sure that you are ordering the solid Thermo-12 Gold board. The boards on the left in the pic are scored to fit large piping and round vessels. Someone mistakenly ordered the scored for their oven. You want the solid board. It also comes in water resistant and non-water resistant. I believe that the water resistant may have just a little less insulating factor. I have no experience with it. Regardless, you will want to keep you oven dry.

Click image for larger version Name:	CalSil.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	436732
                    Whilst the water resistant board should be the best option (price consideration) the cal sil with the slots should be a better option than the solid variety (again price consideration) because the slots provide an exit path for moisture to escape, if the board is laid with the slots facing down.
                    Last edited by david s; 05-22-2021, 02:09 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I respectfully disagree.I don't think that the reduced R-value that the dead air spaces yield make it a better choice over solid CalSil.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That may be true, but the increased ability to eliminate moisture more efficiently should more than compensate for any reduced insulation value.

Comment

I'm very sorry David. I still can't come around to your way of thinking on this. Yes, wet oven insulation is about the same as no insulation. But, there have been many discussions on improving water elimination that you, I, and many others have been contributed to which have led to construction methods that improve this problem without using a less efficient insulation. We may have to agree to disagree, but I would like for anyone reading this in the future to at least do some research before determining that scored insulation is "better" than solid.

Comment

Yes, without conducting specific tests on both types, the two of us are just guessing, but as you say "wet oven insulation is about the same as no insulation" , so keeping or helping it to dry is more important than any slight loss of capacity.
                            Those with oven enclosures or a roof over their oven are less susceptible to this problem of underfloor moisture. Although in my case, living in the tropics means the oven will pick up moisture from a couple of weeks of really high humidity and no waterproofing or roof will keep that out.
                            I would however like to take the credit of being the inventor of the drain hole design.
                            Last edited by david s; 05-23-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I'm cool with David S kudos on the weep holes as well as a host of other innovations especially in the cast oven world. We have seen quite a uptick in cast ovens. If only we can get new builders not to follow the p/vrete main dome ovens so common on YouTube.

FYI, The new version of Thermal Gold 12 is now called Thermal Gold 1200 and is water "resistant" but still no water proof so the weep holes, tiles, FoamGlas are still major options for the ovens.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                              X