X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    Deejayoh,

What sealing agent did you use on your oven stand to keep moisture from migrating from the soil, to the oven? I fear that you are going to have a major problem with so much of your oven embedded in the soil, hope I am wrong.
    Shouldn't be a problem. I used Xypex 1000 concrete additive in the hearth. Same stuff they use in swimming pools and sewer systems. It expands into all the capillaries in the hearth so that the concrete doesn't wick any water. It's been there through a pretty rainy winter with no evidence of any water issues..
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Got the rest of the roof framed up today. Ran out of screws as I was building the chimney chase

Tomorrow is wiring. Need to figure out what lights to use in the overhang. Any suggestions?
      My build progress

Comment

Hi deejayoh,

Thats a relief. Would hate to see all of the work and effort go for nought. Hang in there until it bears fruits from your labor.

Comment

Have you considered two types of lighting: a small spot light on to the hearth and a decorative lamp for ambiance?
          dvm
          dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
          sigpic

Comment

I decided to go with two of these for task lighting. Low-voltage three inch recessed with a pull out light. One of the only 3 1/2 inch depth units I could find.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	elco_el2697b_120210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	290348
            http://www.build.com/elco-el2697-3-l...meter/p1659604

Not sure about adding ambient lighting. I don't know what else I would put in the eaves, and I hadn't been thinking about lights on the face of the oven. I think I may just put a string of lights around the patio or even around the oven.
            My build progress

Comment

Have you run across anyone lighting the interior of the oven (is this even necessary)?
              dvm

sigpic

Comment

I have seen discussions about interior lights, but no actual builds. I think there is at least one build on the site with a flexible light that can be configured to shine inside the oven. Can't remember whose.

more light in the dome would be handy, but I wouldn't personally go to any great lengths or expense to make it happen. I will probably end up using these as wall washing lights.
                My build progress

Comment

Maybe a pen light velcroed to the peel? This may have to wait until actual cooking begins to understand the need / benefit.
                  dvm

sigpic

Comment

FedEx man brought the last bits of kit for my chimney last night: I got an 18" extension for the flue, a chimney chase cap, and storm collar. I'm ready to close that in now. I ended up having to extend the flue so that the roofline looked the way I wanted. Withthe original 24" chimney section it drew just fine, but I couldn't get the clearance I needed from the roof without going with something like a 2:12 pitch (I wanted 4:12). So now I'll have 42" of 8" flue. That should draw even better.

I also picked up about 40 square feet of drystack-look black slate veneer that a friend had left over from building his home. It's in 6" x 24" sections that you apply like tile. Got that for free! I am going to use it on the oven stand, and also want to use it on the chimney chase but I am not 100% sure how to do the flashing. Given that it will be a hardibacker box, it's more like a dormer than it is like a brick chimney. Anyone have any experience?

I was hoping to get the hardibacker on this weekend, but only have saturday to work so I might not make it.
                    My build progress

Comment

Deejayoh,

Aegis did a slate roof on his build. You might want to look at his thread.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I was just about to ask you how the "draw" was on your venting (since it is relativly short) and then I see:
                        Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                        I got an 18" extension for the flue, a chimney chase cap, and storm collar.

I kinda think I like your proportions on your oven so I wondered if on your firings you saw any smoke out the front. But you are lengthening your chinmey pipe anyway so you'll certainly get even better smoke-draw.

You made a good choice in soffit lights. I think you'll like them.

RE: interior lighting, much of the time there is a flame that makes the interior very bright so it's easy to see things cooking. For the other times (they are few) it would be nice while your roasting something without any flame, but I just use a poker with 1" bent tip to pull-push-re arrange roasting pans and yes...I have to sometimes pull it out to the vent landing to look at it before pushing it back. You don't need it for pizza making since it's all so fast and you are turning/rotating your pizza once or twice over the 1-2 minutes it's cooking and it's easy to see.

I still like dvm's pen light idea. It would have to be pretty bright though.

Good job, can't wait to see you finish it all.
                        -Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino -
                          I have referenced your build quite a bit as I have progressed on this. I pored over it looking at the housing design. Especially those trusses!

As for the draw - with the 2' flue, I was getting a bit of smoke out the front at startup but not much. Mostly depends on the wind. Once the chimney heats up, I don't get anything. Even with the additional height I don't expect that to change much.

I *think* I decided last night that I am going to use a charcoal-colored brick for the decorative arch - so I'll have another few inches of entry landing on my final product, which should help with the smoke (and wind!). But it depends on what I can find at the masonry supplier!
                          My build progress

Comment

No build progress to report, but I come home yesterday to find that my girlfriend had arranged a surprise party for my birthday, with the oven as the star attraction!

There were about 25 people there, and she'd hired a pizzaiola from a local mobile pizza company to make pizza for the crowd. All in, about 16 pies were made/consumed. It was fun to just be able to sit back and watch somebody who knows what they are doing tend the oven. I learned quite a bit!
                            My build progress

Comment

Wha ... and she didn't invite all your buddies on FB. Kidding aside - you got a good one there Dennis hold on to her. Was the pizzaiola impressed by your wfo?
                              btw happy birthday
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                It was fun to just be able to sit back and watch somebody who knows what they are doing tend the oven. I learned quite a bit!
                                Sounds very cool - and Happy Birthday!
                                dvm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X