36"w/ Steel Stand, 2-3 Week Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36"w/ Steel Stand, 2-3 Week Build

After I promised a friend that I'd cater his wedding at my place with a WBO I need to build it in only a couple weeks! Drawings attached, feedback please!! (Google Doc) Frame and Hearth PIC
    Technical Drawing and Cut List
    Solid Works Ass.

The Plan:
    -36" Forno Bravo Pompeii Kit
    -1.5"x 0.125wall Steel frame (Attached Solid Works Drawing of geometry)
    -59" x 64" x5.5" hearth poured at the same time as the pad
    -build oven on steel frame in garage
    -Low vault Tuscan igloo (Modified IT with lazy susan)
    -Slow dry the oven in the garage with woodstove lit, yes during the summer.
    -use backhoe to move hearth & oven into place once pad and oven are completely dry
    -Series of drying fires

I have some masonry experience,

Out of my mind to try this in 3 weeks? is likely that I'll be able to move the hearth/stand/oven without cracking everything?

Re: 36"w/ Steel Stand, 2-3 Week Build

It will take two weeks just to cure that thing. One week to let the mortar dry after the dome is finished, and one week for doing the curing fires. I'm afraid you'd better come up with a plan B.

Comment

The big day is Aug 11 so technically I've got about 6 weeks to be firing at full temp. Sounds like that might be doable??

Comment

I would have to say yes if you can dedicate full time days to it. If not, I would use plan B as Laku says.
        Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Working for ones self and from home does have its benefits . But I digress , anyone have experience building on a metal stand and moving dryed oven? Tips suggestions? I haven't applied the weight to the stand in SW but based on some stands I've seen this one should be over built. Feedback? Plus adding 0.188 wire loops welded to the top of the stand to hold the concrete on the stand in transit and for eternity

Comment

I guess technically doable. But for a first build, that's going to be a gamble.

Maybe use sand to get the dome shape easy and fast? And don't use vermicrete, that will never dry properly in that time I think.

Oh and get some kind of tent or you won't be able to build during rainy days.

Comment

Six weeks is definitely enough time if you can get the oven built in the next 3 weeks. It will take you most of that time to do it.

But if you are on a tight timeline, why the added complexity of building the oven in one place and then moving? Why not just build it where it is going to sit? I built an oven outside in just about the rainiest Seattle spring that I can recall. It can be done. I don't see any benefit to the plan to build inside and then move. Plenty of potential for disaster with no real benefit = bad plan, but that is just my $0.02.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thinking that pouring Hearth at the same time as the pad will save 1 drying time, not to mention mixing time, since the cement truck is delivering for the pad/hearth.

Building in the garage = temp controll and no worries about weather. The backhoe can easily lift stand, hearth and oven into place and I can weld a fixture for moving it safely no problem.... But I suppose this does add an unnecessary element of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by coasterbuoy View Post
                  After I promised a friend that I'd cater his wedding at my place with a WBO I need to build it in only a couple weeks! Drawings attached, feedback please!! (Google Doc) Frame and Hearth PIC
                  Technical Drawing and Cut List
                  Solid Works Ass.

The Plan:
                  -36" Forno Bravo Pompeii Kit
                  -1.5"x 0.125wall Steel frame (Attached Solid Works Drawing of geometry)
                  -59" x 64" x5.5" hearth poured at the same time as the pad
                  -build oven on steel frame in garage
                  -Low vault Tuscan igloo (Modified IT with lazy susan)
                  -Slow dry the oven in the garage with woodstove lit, yes during the summer.
                  -use backhoe to move hearth & oven into place once pad and oven are completely dry
                  -Series of drying fires

I have some masonry experience,

Out of my mind to try this in 3 weeks? is likely that I'll be able to move the hearth/stand/oven without cracking everything?
                  You are VERY aggressive. You promised a friend that you would CATER HIS WEDDING, six weeks away, in a WFO that only exists only in your mind. If you fail his wife will NEVER forgive you. If you succeed you will become a LEGEND.

I like your style.

Comment

It''ll be a legend either way. A legendary failure or the better kind!
                    Finished building stand at 6:30am, concrete truck showed up at 8:30. Pad 16x20' looks perfect!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B26...zJZVlZULWROY0k

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B26...i1xS1RwTW1CNzQ

Comment

You should be able to build the dome itself in a day or two with a helper who can run the saw and mix mud.

Comment

Really? So I could be firing pizza in 2.5weeks ?
                        2nd truck due with hearth concrete in 1/2 hour....

Comment

If anyone is considering steel stand it cost about $220 for 4 full 24' lengths of 1.5x0.125" square tubing. The Metal Supermarket did most of the cutting free. Had to grind to get them all the same... should have insisted that they cut the equal lengths at the same time + checked that their blade was square and true... would have saved some time. Took me 8 hours to build. (see attaced drawing) pizza_assembly drawing_cutlist.pdf Used a spool of 0.35 wire as well + 8x 10' x1/2 rebar. and the normal wood form.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	712.4 KB
ID:	290169

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607[1].jpg
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	290170

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610[1].jpg
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	290171

Comment

For a Pompeii, this is how I would build it after the hearth insulation was down and ready:

Sand dome (sand, water and a small amount of bonding agent) covered with two or three layers of damp newspaper and smoothed off tight.

First 2 courses from whole brick laid with no batter, ie normal running bond. Second through 8-9" circle to finish, cut half's. Close with 4 quarter-pie closers.

Comment

I built my oven with a sand cap for the top half and just bolster cut each brick by hand

A mate built his oven with an exercise ball

Nothing like hanging on the edge of your nerves when you pull it out about an hour after last section and you hope mortar is just about right.

Climbing in to clean it out is really putting the trust in your skills......

Ahhhhh now I have brick saw....
                              Last edited by Bacterium; 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM. Reason: ...red wine fingers
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X