Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting my barrel vault

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    No rebar in perlcrete, 4" is better than 2".
    Will adding perlcrete increase my mass? in a ratio of 5 to 1? or it will just work as insulation and strength? Remember I am planning on adding 5 ceramic fiber blankets to the vault. I need to make sure they will work great also keeping everything very insulated. I do have the problem of finding wood so I did not wanted to increase my mass if I didn't have to. Please let me know.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
      like some triangles casted like this? 3 of them?
      Yes that would work. A flying buttress only contacts at the top though. It's advantage is that there is less contact with the wall (less heat loss through conductivity and looks more elegant.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Yes that would work. A flying buttress only contacts at the top though. It's advantage is that there is less contact with the wall (less heat loss through conductivity and looks more elegant.
        The only way I can think of doing that is casting something out or refractory mortar. But, than I would cover it completely with ceramic blanket. I don't think a brick would be tall enough.
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Will adding perlcrete increase my mass? in a ratio of 5 to 1? or it will just work as insulation and strength? Remember I am planning on adding 5 ceramic fiber blankets to the vault. I need to make sure they will work great also keeping everything very insulated. I do have the problem of finding wood so I did not wanted to increase my mass if I didn't have to. Please let me know.
          I think 5 blankets is overkill. Any more than 2" thick provides little additional benefit for the extra cost IMO.
          5:1 perlcrete will add a little mass. You can't have both mass and insulation. The stronger you make the perlcrete the heavier and stronger it becomes, but the less insulating it will be.
          Last edited by david s; 06-23-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I think 5 blankets is overkill. Any more than 2" thick gives provides little additional benefit for the extra cost IMO.
            5:1 perlcrete will add a little mass. You can't have both mass and insulation. The stronger you make the perlcrete the heavier and stronger it becomes, but the less insulating it will be.
            I already have the blankets so I bought them already might well use them. I am really short on firewood, so the last thing I want to do is ad more mass, if not I would just ad 4 inches of refractory mortar that and that is it. But I am really short on wood on the long run. I dont want to ad any more mass than I have to. What do you think its the best solution for me?
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I already have the blankets so I bought them already might well use them. I am really short on firewood, so the last thing I want to do is ad more mass, if not I would just ad 4 inches of refractory mortar that and that is it. But I am really short on wood on the long run. I dont want to ad any more mass than I have to. What do you think its the best solution for me?
              Probably do the three triangular buttresses on each side around 3" thick for each one, as in your drawing, using 5:1 vermicrete, leave them two weeks to dry, then wrap the whole lot in your blankets.

Comment

The first course is the only one that needs to be interlocked, use halfs or triangles to build it up 3 more layers.

Comment

The first course is the only one that needs to be interlocked, use halfs or triangles to build it up 3 more layers.
                  Damm Tscarborough that is a great idea, but I am already in the 3rd course. What if I just used halfs now and morter them into the side? I guess that would not be strong enough right? I wish you would have told me this when I was dying for an idea. I dont want to start over. The picture below was sunday I am up to more courses.
                  Last edited by gugahulk; 06-23-2015, 03:16 PM.
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

No, because it is not a mass buttress, it is an adhesion buttress. Without locking the first one in, it will just roll over with the rest of the wall.

Comment

No, because it is not a mass buttress, it is an adhesion buttress. Without locking the first one in, it will just roll over with the rest of the wall.
                      how about something like this?
                      Best Regards...
                      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

The thrust on the side walls is far greater at the top than the bottom. That is why it needs the support there and why the flying buttress does not even contact the lower part of the walls. Steel bracing supporting the wall in this position is an alternative solution as was discussed earlier, but the problem is that steel is corrosive in a hot moist environment and once covered with insulation is difficult to access to replace or adjust.

Comment

That just means a poorly designed oven to me. What is the exterior going to be?

Comment

Good grief...flying buttresses? It's an oven not a cathedral.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

The thrust on the side walls is far greater at the top than the bottom. That is why it needs the support there and why the flying buttress does not even contact the lower part of the walls. Steel bracing supporting the wall in this position is an alternative solution as was discussed earlier, but the problem is that steel is corrosive in a hot moist environment and once covered with insulation is difficult to access to replace or adjust.
                              With your barrel arch, which has a large radius arc, the side thrust on the top of the walls is considerably greater than a semicircular one and why some bracing or buttressing is required.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                Good grief...flying buttresses? It's an oven not a cathedral.
                                True, but the same principles apply. Thermal expansion and joint failure weaken an ovens structural integrity. This is one of the domes big advantages. For kilns, where the temperatures and expansion are greater, structural failures are more pronounced, but the same applies with an oven, particularly a WFO.

Comment

Working...
                                X