X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

I used the tuscan grill my brother in law welded for me to cook some jerk chicken. The results were excellent. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday that's what I needed another perspective. You have kicked the creative juices into action!
    Now the first solution the strap. Simple,I like simple. But I'm a lazy shit at times would I use it ? That's all the time and get caught out by a storm
    But in an idea there's always a nut of another and it brings up the concept of taking the fasteners from the front to the side ... That's worth pursuing !
    Now the secound idea ( and the drawing I like drawings, intend to visualize things in a picture in my mind. Now that has some real ideas as well .
    Like you said "elegant " I thought of fixtures as something ugly like bolts or hinges ... Something that would look out of place when the storm door was removed. With a bracket like you have described you would think it a natural extension of the oven and hang your heat proof gloves of it.
    Anyway the plan for the moment is to wheather proof the oven. Lets see if MK 1 will do that . It's made out ply with a coat of deck seal to make it pretty but that will not last. So I will have to make my mind up on a more elegant solution before the end of summer. I know myself to well" if it works don't change it" . But I don't like ugly ... That ply is going to be pretty tacky soon...
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-05-2013, 03:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Hi Dave,
    I'll mention the most obvious solution though I suspect you have already rejected it on aesthetic grounds. You could simply run a strap around the oven and through the handle. I doubt that's the solution you are looking for. I'll try and come up with something more elegant. If you are willing to use anchor bolts, then you might consider putting a decorative bracket on each side that could hold a crossbar.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	298226Gudday again
    Need a secound post for a secound pic

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	298226
    [ATTACH]39974[/ATTACH
    Back of the door shown . The 3x4 hardwood looks a bit overkill but its heavy and the fire brick should stop it from being blown off. I'm reluctant to fit any permanent fixtures to the front of the oven if I can help it . Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated as I'm not sure if this will prove to be completely storm proof. I'm a bit iffy with loose things in my yard as I had a Flat BBQ lid nearly take out a neighbor a few years ago in a storm. So any ideas or thoughts are appreciated
    Regards dave
    Yeh I know pis upside down don't you just love apple sometimes
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    We're coming up summer and have already had our first storms. I've been pottering along and have built a storm door to stop the rain beating in on those hearth bricks
    This is MK 1 just a ply prototype but it seems to be working an we had 2 small storms test it out
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Now that bread looks pretty damn good and that's one thing you don't need to be encouraged to do and that is cook like you do.
    Buddy it's been my pleasure to have been able to help you in any way to achieving the oven that you wanted. I've really enjoyed being part of your oven building. Thanks
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Hi Dave,
    Sorry to have dropped out again. Had a great time in Orlando and have been firing the oven at least once a week which gives me about four days of cooking using residual heat. Baked up seven pizzas Saturday for the FSU vs Miami game. Baked off two loafs of bread today. Still have lots of room for improvement but am still happy with results. Still hard to believe I actually built the oven, goes to show anyone can do it with the help of this forum. Thanks again for all your help and encouragement.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Good to here you took some time off after the build, it was a bit full on so you deserved a good break.
    You're really are getting into the food thing. I'm wishing I had the time myself to do some off those things. You know of course I expect to see some of those recipes
    Anyway off to bed
    Great to here from you
    Regards davr

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Dave, sorry to have dropped out for awhile. Had a great trip to Santa Fe. Got home about a month ago and was pretty wore out. I think a combination of the trip and having pushed my limits for several months during the build. I have been firing the oven for pizza weekly and have enough retained heat for an additional four days of cooking.

I'm in Orlando, FL this week in part for the Food and Wine Festival. Here are some of the events we are signed up for. The highlight is the Party of the Senses.

Friday, October 11, 2013

? F&W France - Regional Lunches - Monsieur Paul ? 12:00 PM
    ? Wine & Beverage Seminars ? 4:00 PM
    ? F&W 3D Disneys Dessert Discovery - Sweet Seats ? 7:45 PM

Saturday, October 12, 2013

? F&W Marketplace VIP Access Chef Tour ? 9:00 AM
    ? Wine & Beverage Seminars ? 4:00 PM
    ? F&W Party for the Senses - Wine View Lounge ? 7:15 PM

Dave, thanks for your support and continued interest. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Champion
    I haven't heard from you in a while and I was wondering how things have been
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Chocolate and strawberries, sounds great.

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

Another good strawberry variation: strawberries and chocolate. Just the strawberries alone on the pizza while it bakes, then sprinkle all over with finely chopped chocolate (chocolate chips, usually) as soon as it comes out of the oven. Then dust with powdered sugar for the looks. For bonus points, try adding finely chopped chocolate to the dough for the crust. I added chocolate equal to ~15% of the flour weight, and that came out about right.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Just got my oven flashed up to full temps last night. I've kept the fires low till now to dry the oven out.
    [ATTACH]38123[/ATTACH]
    This a strawberry n cream pizza made with strawberries and Brie cheese with a bit of butter and brown sugar. It's not bad and got the child brides approval but still needs a bit of a tweek. I might soak the strawberries next time and get rid of the butter.
    I'm still taken with your fig and blue cheese pizza and would love the recipe .
    I'm just about to open the oven up now for a bit of roast pork. Oven temps down to 190 C (if I can believe the gauge it was stuck at 40 C before I used it) I plan to flash up a quick fire enough to get the cracking on the roast. I then cover the roast with foil, beer in the bottom of the dish and close up the oven. Temps should drop back down quickly I hope and give me a tender roast.
    Regards dave
    You might try a balsamic vinegar reduction drizzle with the strawberries. When I did the fig pizza, it was just some mozzarella and blue cheese with the sliced figs on top. I drizzled a little balsamic on top after it came out of the oven.

I redid the oven door so the door front does not make direct contact with the pan. I haven't been able to try it out and likely won't have a chance until I get back from my road trip. I did make some rellenos to get in the mood for the trip. I stuffed ancho peppers with refried beans and cheddar cheese with a chipotle tomato sauce.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Just got my oven flashed up to full temps last night. I've kept the fires low till now to dry the oven out.
    Click image for larger version

Views:	1
Size:	922.5 KB
ID:	296694
    This a strawberry n cream pizza made with strawberries and Brie cheese with a bit of butter and brown sugar. It's not bad and got the child brides approval but still needs a bit of a tweek. I might soak the strawberries next time and get rid of the butter.
    I'm still taken with your fig and blue cheese pizza and would love the recipe .
    I'm just about to open the oven up now for a bit of roast pork. Oven temps down to 190 C (if I can believe the gauge it was stuck at 40 C before I used it) I plan to flash up a quick fire enough to get the cracking on the roast. I then cover the roast with foil, beer in the bottom of the dish and close up the oven. Temps should drop back down quickly I hope and give me a tender roast.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    [ATTACH]38047[/ATTACH]
    Heres a bit of a line drawing of your oven to print out and draw on, colour in,
    and play with as you which.....
    regards Dave

Youll have to email some crayons Dave, not much good with out crayons.....

Of course the easiest way to see different colours is to use photo editing software, like Paint.net which is totally free, there are others out there too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X