• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Actually, I used a terra cotta coloring at the lowest recommended amount (4 oz to 50 lbs cement mix. I doubt I could match color as a rub on without a lot of experimentation. Bruce
    Gudday
    So you have some left. And if you haven't thrown out any off cuts of firebrick experiment away and just see what happens. If the colour is different it will be a different tint (to white shade) or tone (to dark shades) but it should compliment the dome colour you already have.
    4 oz to 50 lbs sounds pretty strong stuff to me . Wear some rubber gloves for sure
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    I was thinking of stuff you used to colour your stucco, its a liquid is it not? It would probably come exactly the same shade but near enough. One thing that might effect the final result could be any residue of mortar or lime might make the brick take up the stain unevenly. You might have to give the brick an acid wash and pressure spray.
    Regards dave
    Actually, I used a terra cotta coloring at the lowest recommended amount (4 oz to 50 lbs cement mix. I doubt I could match color as a rub on without a lot of experimentation. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I was thinking of stuff you used to colour your stucco, its a liquid is it not? It would probably come exactly the same shade but near enough. One thing that might effect the final result could be any residue of mortar or lime might make the brick take up the stain unevenly. You might have to give the brick an acid wash and pressure spray.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    [ATTACH]38048[/ATTACH]
    Attachment is a firebrick brick which I have stained with some deck stain just to see if it would soak up a stain. Firebrick is "pretty ordinary" in colour but pretty porous and I was thinking perhaps the entrance could be coloured with some of that waterbased colour that you used in your stucco. This is just a seed of an idea at the moment.....is it colour fast? can it be sealed? I don't know its just an idea at this time.
    I have never heard of anything like this being tried before..... but perhaps an experiment on a couple of firebrick off cuts? your off on Hols (again) so some samples can be left to wheather to see what happens?
    Regards Dave
    Staining the firebrick is an interesting idea. Looks like the stain is taking in the pic you attached. If I pick up a stain to experiment with, any shade you would recommend? Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	296639
    Attachment is a firebrick brick which I have stained with some deck stain just to see if it would soak up a stain. Firebrick is "pretty ordinary" in colour but pretty porous and I was thinking perhaps the entrance could be coloured with some of that waterbased colour that you used in your stucco. This is just a seed of an idea at the moment.....is it colour fast? can it be sealed? I don't know its just an idea at this time.
    I have never heard of anything like this being tried before..... but perhaps an experiment on a couple of firebrick off cuts? your off on Hols (again) so some samples can be left to wheather to see what happens?
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce

Name:	Bruce.jpeg
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	296638
    Heres a bit of a line drawing of your oven to print out and draw on, colour in,
    and play with as you which.....
    regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

[ATTACH]38025[/ATTACH]

Gudday
    Now ......That's A Hot Oven.....congrats ,you have achieved the sweet spot.
    Regards dave
    Thanks Dave, floor temp was about 570 F this am. Looking forward to developing my WFO skills.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    They look good Bruce. It is good when a plan comes together, even better when a lot of minor plans come together.

I'm not sure how long the improvement goes on but I think mine is still improving after much use. Either the oven continues to improve or the operator gets better educated in using it.

Enjoy the results.
    Steve, good to hear the oven can continue to improve. I already knew my oven management skills have lots of room for improvement. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Bruce

I'm hungry...... can't wait now having seen that
    Thanks, I've been following your build and am looking forward to seeing you up and running.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Bruce

I'm hungry...... can't wait now having seen that

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	296622

Gudday
    Now ......That's A Hot Oven.....congrats ,you have achieved the sweet spot.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

They look good Bruce. It is good when a plan comes together, even better when a lot of minor plans come together.

I'm not sure how long the improvement goes on but I think mine is still improving after much use. Either the oven continues to improve or the operator gets better educated in using it.

Enjoy the results.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    When ppl ask how do you know when the oven is fully cured, I always reply, you just know.....

Gatta love that dont ya when they just inhale the goodies from the oven.....

Nice base and crust too..
    The oven was much hotter today. When I held the first pie up to the dome, the oil in the pesto caught fire.

Thanks for the comment on the crust, I was happy with both flavor and the structure of the crumb. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Oven seemed to heat and perform much better.
    When ppl ask how do you know when the oven is fully cured, I always reply, you just know.....

First few pies were devoured before I could get a pic. Made 6 pies and here are the pics.
    Gatta love that dont ya when they just inhale the goodies from the oven.....

Nice base and crust too..

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Oven seemed to heat and perform much better. First few pies were devoured before I could get a pic. Made 6 pies and here are the pics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X