Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday Bevan
    Looking great! I'm particular taken by the pics of the oven inside. Because of the thinness of the pavers hardly any great gapes. Not like you would expect with full thickness brick! I've seen a paver/bulster built oven and I know the gapes at the top would have larger ones but its not important. If you had to tap your last keystone's in with a mallet they should be tight enough.
    Sorry to hear that the blow up ball was a pain to use , I'm now of the opinion that it would only be of use in say the last 2? Rows. What do you recon?
    Good idea to use those bricks to force the sides up by the way.
    I noticed 2 bricks hanging around in a few pics is it those, or are you planing to use your antique bricks as a feature on the entrance?
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I think I switched to the exercise ball too soon and should have suffered with the IT another couple of courses. It's because I am impatient in case you haven't noticed lol. It would have been fine for the last couple of courses. Also the ball size makes a difference too. I went with a 75cm ball. Someone else I read about used a couple of different sizes to get the job done.

I think they pavers do make it look better than it might have looked using full sized bricks (because of my chosen building method with limited cuts).

My plan is to use the red bricks for the front arch. If they don't work for some reason, it would be no biggie to re-do it with pavers or better bricks down the line. I just like the look of them.

I also plan to use the red bricks for my shotgun chimney casing. Just to go up a few courses, this should look aesthetically pleasing by matching the front arch and also give the flues some support. I'm not entirely sure how to fill the triangle gaps that occur from having the 2 round flues next to each other. Perhaps firebrick offcuts and then fill the brick part of the chimney up with vermicrete above that?

Also do I just carry on with my poor mans mortar for the front arch and chimney?

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

I did get some large gaps at the top of the dome. I am pretty embarrassed to post a photo and I wasn't going to, but it's not fair to only tell half the story . Should work ok though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03190.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	857.8 KB
ID:	297577

Name:	DSC03193.jpg
Size:	673.7 KB
ID:	297578

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
          The top bricks are are .... Nice and workmanlike!!!!
          But ... I am sorry the selfy .. Not so nice
          Regards
          Dave
          Carry on with the poor mans mortar ... Why waste it and its watch you are used too
          Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-27-2013, 03:51 AM. Reason: PS
          Measure twice
          Cut once

My Build
          My Door

Comment

Laspaz

I just read your thread and amazed on how fast your build went. Good luck on the cure now.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Wow, you really are going low-budget....hiring a child to do the heavy labor....and giving her a plastic shovel no less!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
                Wow, you really are going low-budget....hiring a child to do the heavy labor....and giving her a plastic shovel no less!!!
                Haha that damn shovel, there are holes all over the yard now!

Honestly though, I really feel like my kids usefulness has come into fruition, they sure moved a lot of bricks and pavers!

And even this started as a budget build (and still may be in terms or quality) it has well and truly gone over budget. I have kept a list of everything spent and will post it once I am done.

Buy of the week was a garden hoe for the oven. Stainless steel head and aluminum handle. On clearance for $11.

Bevan

Comment

I managed to get the outer arch today. I was hoping to get the chimney done also but I am a bit challenged by the vent transition. I am pretty limited with my cuts by my grinder. I really need a lip incorporated into the base so the flues have something to rest on. Then I can build up the brick chimney around them. So I will try and hatch a plan tonight.

Here are some photos from today, again, pretty rough but hopefully functional. I do like the look of the old bricks but the irregularity of them was a bit of a PITA.

Name:	DSC03200.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	297600

Name:	DSC03204.jpg
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	297601

Name:	DSC03205.jpg
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	297602

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
                    I have looked at your pics a coupla times now. Nothing earth shattering comes to mind but you'll have to do some fancy cutting with an angle grinder.
                    As far as I can see might be best to use the entrance arch to rest the rear of you chimney on , its an arch buttressed by your dome, why not.
                    As for leaking heat forget that its not important the hot gases exiting the chimney will heat it and it will not suck the heat from your oven as it is already hot.
                    By the way I do like the look of your entrance with the antique brick and the shape is true to your original look that you wanted to achieve
                    Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Just a quick update to show what I mocked up this morning. Basically the half bricks didn't have the solid foundation for the flues that I wanted. I popped in the flues for a trial fit and a gust of wind knocked them down and part of the chimney. Granted the mortar hadn't been on long, and was possibly too dry also.

So I took all the chimney brick apart and will try using full bricks this time. I was worried that the look of the full brick chimney would be too large and out of proportion, but after seeing those twin flues, I think a bigger chimney would look fine.

I have abandoned the idea on the 45 degree cut on the top of the flues as it is to difficult for me to do. I don't want to mess them up trying to get too fancy. And besides, it just took me over 30 mins to drill 4 holes in the stainless to rivet the flues together.

Name:	DSC03207.jpg
Size:	830.7 KB
ID:	297616

Name:	DSC03210.jpg
Size:	762.2 KB
ID:	297617

Name:	DSC03211.jpg
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	297618

I was planning on taking the chimney brick another 2 courses, just wanted to make sure the flues fit first!

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Just an update to show chimney rebuild

Name:	DSC03215.jpg
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	297621

Bevan

Comment

Nice work. Are they the chimneys of other WFO's over the fence too?
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David, I think what you see may be either fence columns or maybe house chimneys. Many houses here have chip heaters for hot water as well as fireplaces. I have chip heater and all our hot water is heated with wood scraps. Good idea from the 1960's, if you are home all day with lots of time.

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                              Thanks David, I think what you see may be either fence columns or maybe house chimneys. Many houses here have chip heaters for hot water as well as fireplaces. I have chip heater and all our hot water is heated with wood scraps. Good idea from the 1960's, if you are home all day with lots of time.

Cheers,

Bevan
                              We had a house some years ago with a chip heater, great idea if you have lots of chips.....
                              Problem was that if you put in too many chips the water would boil over and be refilled instantly with cold water there by starting the whole process over, and over, and over again.....
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                                We had a house some years ago with a chip heater, great idea if you have lots of chips.....
                                Problem was that if you put in too many chips the water would boil over and be refilled instantly with cold water there by starting the whole process over, and over, and over again.....
                                Sure is a bit of a chore, but I have loads of time and not much money. I figure if I have to gather firewood to heat the house, then I may as well get some for the chip heater...and now the pizza oven!

Comment

Working...
                                X