Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budget Build 36"

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going 7/8:1 ratio. This should be ok (in my mind) as the pumice is a solid animal with no squish or cork type compression that the vermiculite/perlite has.

Also, much less water was required as the pumice is a damp product. Depending on the (varied) moistness of the bag of pumice, I added just enough water to make a light concrete consistency with do slurry left in the bottom of the wheelbarrow. Some batches needed about 200ml, others needed about 1000ml. It will be interesting to see how the product dries now.

I ended up using 6x 20kg bags.

On a side note, I am sure mixing the concrete and insulation material would have been a more pleasant experience if my wheelbarrow tyre wasn't flat...

Questions:

I have left a 20cm (6") area at the front of the landing with no insulation as I would like to use concrete here. Is the heat low enough on the outer landing to use concrete? (I will have 4" of brick on top of the concrete also)

How much fire clay did you guys use for your build? I will be using the homebrew mix and my bricks will be cut with a bolster so my joints will be larger than most. The problem for me is 20lb of fire clay here in NZ is $55 + freight. Also, I need the powder form, not the wet form right?

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
      Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going 7/8:1 ratio. This should be ok (in my mind) as the pumice is a solid animal with no squish or cork type compression that the vermiculite/perlite has.

Also, much less water was required as the pumice is a damp product. Depending on the (varied) moistness of the bag of pumice, I added just enough water to make a light concrete consistency with do slurry left in the bottom of the wheelbarrow. Some batches needed about 200ml, others needed about 1000ml. It will be interesting to see how the product dries now.

I ended up using 6x 20kg bags.

On a side note, I am sure mixing the concrete and insulation material would have been a more pleasant experience if my wheelbarrow tyre wasn't flat...u

Questions:

I have left a 20cm (6") area at the front of the landing with no insulation as I would like to use concrete here. Is the heat low enough on the outer landing to use concrete? (I will have 4" of brick on top of the concrete also)
      J
      How much fire clay did you guys use for your build? I will be using the homebrew mix and my bricks will be cut with a bolster so my joints will be larger than most. The problem for me is 20lb of fire clay here in NZ is $55 + freight. Also, I need the powder form, not the wet form right?

Thanks,

Bevan
      Gudday Bevan
      I don't think the end of the landing not being insulated is a 'biggy' don't worry about it.
      The clay component in the homebrew is the bit that makes the mortar more workable and also makes the mix stick more readily. It really makes bricklaying for novices a lot easier. Now it doesn't have to be fireclay either the temps our ovens they don't real need it. You'll need powdered clay. You can use brickies clay in bags or if you can get it brickie sand which has a clay component included. Pottery supplies could be another source.
      Finally when you get down to it and you can't find a reasonable supply don't use any. Give the mortar a squit of dish washing liquid to make it more plastic and get on with it
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for that Dave. apparently bricklayer here just use mortar mix... I am having trouble locating bricklayers clay. I will keep calling around.

Do you guys think these clay pavers would be more suitable for building my oven? (rather than the bricks I have)

New Clay Pavers-Autumn Cream | Trade Me

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

PS. they are boral pavers from Australia. Are these they ones you guys use?

Comment

PS. they are boral pavers from Australia. Are these they ones you guys use?
            Gudday
            Boral are are good brick and paver makers. The question you have to ask, are they pressed clay pavers, no good getting stuck with cement pavers they are not suitable at all.
            If your using bagged mortar check on its lime content it will effect your final mix.
            And finally if your using any bagged premix you'll find that the sand in it is oven dried so they are not transporting water. The squit of dish washing liquid will help,but keep you mixer going that bit longer or let it sit for a while before checking and using it. It will soak up a little a bit more water than you think .
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

I have confirmed they are solid fired clay pavers from Australia.

I just need to decided if they have an advantage over my orange bricks or not.

Here is a photo of where the oven is at after the insulation and landing:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03158.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	913.4 KB
ID:	297417

Also picked up hydrated lime today. And just ordered a bag of fireclay from the bottom of the South Island. $25 + freight, should arrive in a couple of days.

So, any thoughts on whether the pavers trump my doughboys?

Cheers fellas

Bevan
              Last edited by Laspaz; 04-11-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave. apparently bricklayer here just use mortar mix... I am having trouble locating bricklayers clay. I will keep calling around.
                In Victoria brickys sand is orange it has lots of orange clay in it
                In Queensland it seems to be white it has lots of white clay in it.

Ask the guy at the yard

Comment

So, any thoughts on whether the pavers trump my doughboys?
                  The pavers are far superior.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Perfect Brickie, just what I wanted to hear.. Now to try and get some!

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                      In Victoria brickys sand is orange
                      Not anymore it aint......its generally white sand now.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ok, 300 clay pavers purchased. Hope to get a better oven from the added investment. Fingers crossed!

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          Not anymore it aint......its generally white sand now.
                          Ive been gone from the building industry for well over 10 years (in a day to day kind of way)

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                            In Victoria brickys sand is orange it has lots of orange clay in it
                            In Queensland it seems to be white it has lots of white clay in it.

Ask the guy at the yard
                            Gudday
                            Yea I thought so too. I saw some at the landscape supplies that was red, now brickie says the stuff in Vic is white! What's going on?
                            Recon the worlds changing in one way they seen to truck things longer distances now. Gravel sand used to be local but not anymore I suppose.
                            Regards Dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Alrighty,

I have 300 new pavers in my possession. They look good.

The dimensions are 45mm high (1 3/4") 225mm long (9") 110mm wide (4 1/2")

They weigh 2.2kg (5lb)

Name:	DSC03161.jpg
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	297420

Name:	DSC03160.jpg
Size:	614.4 KB
ID:	297421

Name:	DSC03159.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	297422

Also photo of totally useless smash test

I think they should be good. With my fire tiles on top I will have a floor thickness of 2 3/4" which is about right.

Just waiting on my fireclay delivery now and then she's all go!

Bevan
                              Last edited by Laspaz; 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Gudday
                                Did you break all of those on the cement path?
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X