Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Budget Build 36"

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
    Sure is a bit of a chore, but I have loads of time and not much money. I figure if I have to gather firewood to heat the house, then I may as well get some for the chip heater...and now the pizza oven!
    Now the decisions start.....shower or eat......
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

When you put it that way. The decision is obvious...pizza comes first!

Comment

I am trying to sort out insulation for the dome. I do have 15 sq ft of ceramic blanket to put on the top of the dome, and then I will have to buy vermiculite for the rest. I have found a local supplier who sells 100ltr bags for $54 each. Keeping in mind this is supposed to be a budget build, do you think I can get by with 3 bags?

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

I am trying to sort out insulation for the dome. I do have 15 sq ft of ceramic blanket to put on the top of the dome, and then I will have to buy vermiculite for the rest. I have found a local supplier who sells 100ltr bags for $54 each. Keeping in mind this is supposed to be a budget build, do you think I can get by with 3 bags?

Cheers,

Bevan
          Make some form of containment in the corners with thin sheet metal so you do not waste material in the corners, also check on your local price of perlite it may be cheaper. aluminum Window screen can also be used to contain vermiculite or perlite and you can even use it to limit the amount use over the dome as it can be easily stapled or wired together to achieve a relatively uniform dome coverage. Used window screen from an outfit that fixes screens might save you some cash.

Using these techniques you should have plenty at 300 Ltr.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            Make some form of containment in the corners with thin sheet metal so you do not waste material in the corners, also check on your local price of perlite it may be cheaper. aluminum Window screen can also be used to contain vermiculite or perlite and you can even use it to limit the amount use over the dome as it can be easily stapled or wired together to achieve a relatively uniform dome coverage. Used window screen from an outfit that fixes screens might save you some cash.

Using these techniques you should have plenty at 300 Ltr.
            Hi Chip,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to an enclosed oven? I am going to go with an igloo style oven.

The window screen is a great idea! Unfortunately in New Zealand, insect screening of windows is very unusual (much to my American Wife's disgust!) and therefore really expensive.

I did find perlite cheaper ($28) but they want $25 PER BAG to send it to me!

Thanks again,

Bevan

Comment

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to an enclosed oven? I am going to go with an igloo style oven.

The window screen is a great idea! Unfortunately in New Zealand, insect screening of windows is very unusual (much to my American Wife's disgust!) and therefore really expensive.

I did find perlite cheaper ($28) but they want $25 PER BAG to send it to me!

Thanks again,

Bevan
              Oh well, I thought they were good ideas....thought you were building a house.
              Chip

Comment

Hey guys,

I tackled the insulation today. Possibly the most frustrating part of the build.

I choose course vermiculite for the best insulation (best vermiculite) and it was a major chore to try and vet it to stick vertically on the dome. I emded up adding a small amount of fire clay to the mix to try and help it stick.

I doubled up my ceramic blanket on top of the dome as it seems like the most likely place to focus the insulation on.

I also have much more vermiculite on top of the dome. Perhaps 5" + 2" blanket.

The sides are about 3" vermiculite. A bit on the light side, but such is life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03223.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	813.6 KB
ID:	297660

Name:	DSC03224.jpg
Size:	958.5 KB
ID:	297661

Name:	DSC03225.jpg
Size:	1,002.9 KB
ID:	297662

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
                  May have been a difficult job but you have done well and that's as neat a job as you could ask for!
                  I'm feeling a bit cheated here I was looking forward to seeing you make that pumice stick never seen anyone use it that way.
                  Seems the strange chimneys with caps are now explained. If you look at the last photo you posted you can clearly see some cement fence posts with caps on a property behind the photo .
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave, The pumice would have been a nightmare as it is very heavy compared to vermiculite. I do think it was fantastic as the base insulation though as it has no give/bounce like the perlite or vermiculite.

I have decided to do another bag of vermiculite as well, I don't want to lose the round shape of the dome and have a lumpy mess, so I might try and make a straight sided form for the lower 12" and that might work.

I think I may start curing tomorrow afternoon... hmm, will see how bored I get!

Bevan

Comment

You'd be better off to wait until the vermicrete dries before either lighting fires or adding another layer.
                      You can get a surprisingly good surface and form if you tap the vermicrete lightly with the flat of your trowel after placement.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I made a curved trowel to assist in keeping the round shape when I installed my perlcrete but a flat trowel works just as well.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Gudday Bevan
                          Now the time for building/sourcing oven tools, painting the stand, checking out flour and finish the chimney caps. doing anything not to destroy you oven!
                          All that water that you used in construction is still in there. Yes the cement has partly cured but that water is still there. I litre of water produces 1600 litres steam and that's a lot of destructive force when its trapped in the very pores of that oven.
                          Just saying
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Good advice team!

I held back and did not light the oven today. I took Dave's advice and made the flue cap.

Name:	DSC03226.jpg
Size:	768.9 KB
ID:	297691

Name:	DSC03227.jpg
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	297692

I cut some bricks to slot down in the chimney around the flue. Then I filled the flue with vermicrete and capped with poor man's mortar. I am thinking I could stucco on top of that and use some high temp sealant around the flues?

Also, does anyone have an idea for my floor tiles... I want to stick the front row down so they don't fall off. What would be the best for this? I guess the temp at the front will still be too hot for a dab of construction adhesive?

Name:	DSC03228.jpg
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	297693

I will try and work on the tools tomorrow.

How long before I can start the curing process?

Thanks team!

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
                              How long?..... I don't know.
                              You base slab is only 3 weeks old . It's certainly not dry as you put a layer of pumise cement over that the next week and its not dried as you have added a hearth and an oven and a insulation layer.
                              Like I said before ALL of the water you have used in the construction is still there! The cement may have hardened and partly cured but it does mean that the moisture is still there . Cure is a chemical reaction not drying out.
                              Put a spot light in there and warm it through. Slowly.let the wind and sun help.
                              We are coming into summer and the warmer wheather let it do the job. Slowly.
                              I wouldn't think about fire for a coupla weeks .... And then only twigs.
                              Simply and truthfully if you try to fire that baby, your work and money will just go down the gurgler..
                              Regards Dave
                              PS and that means NO more insulation Yet!!!!
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Well I went ahead a got a fire going...and then DISASTER!!

Kidding! I am waiting patiently. I have turned my attention to far less exciting tasks such as the lawns and garden. It is spring here and I have lots of seedlings ready to plant. So I am killing time building trellis for tomatoes and cucumbers etc.

The problem is that the oven won't stop looking at me, it is right outside the french doors. I feel like a neglectful parent

Not to harp on with stupid questions, but what did you guys think I could use to stick down my front row of floor tiles?

It's Friday today, so if you are firing up your ovens for pizza tonight, have a slice for me!

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Working...
                                X