• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chubbybones
    replied
    Re: Finally started

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    Hi John

Do you think I need to buttress the walls?

If so, was planning on just doing vermimix over some ceramic fibre blanket. I also have some calcium silicate boards left over that I might use for the side and back walls for insulation and just put the blanket over the curved top. I was wondering about making the mixture a with a bit higher cement ratio to give it a bit more strength although understand it will make it not as insulating. Also still deciding what to do with the side walls of the cover for the top and whether to do besser brick walls or just metal stud walls that then get rendered.

Cheers Mark
    Well at some point you're going to need some support and insulation on the sides i guess,better sooner than later,especially if you are going to start lighting fires internally.
    Thats pretty much what i did Mark. I used a 5:1 vermi -mix sandwiched by the oven and some concrete blocks.You may want to opt for either more insulation or thermal mass,depending on your needs though.
    If you recall my thread at the start i was going down the route of Alan Scotts original design which basically is a lot more thermal mass than is necessary for the casual user.I opted to change the design for something more versatile to allow for quicker firings and a decent amount of heat retention.So in the end i dont really have much thermal mass at all,just 75 mm all round and approxiamately 125 mm of insulation all around.
    Of course i cant yet say how effective that combination is until i start using it regularly but its seems to be a popular formula around here.
    You'll work out what suits you best.

Cheers,John.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Hi John

Do you think I need to buttress the walls?

If so, was planning on just doing vermimix over some ceramic fibre blanket. I also have some calcium silicate boards left over that I might use for the side and back walls for insulation and just put the blanket over the curved top. I was wondering about making the mixture a with a bit higher cement ratio to give it a bit more strength although understand it will make it not as insulating. Also still deciding what to do with the side walls of the cover for the top and whether to do besser brick walls or just metal stud walls that then get rendered.

Cheers Mark

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Wow you move along quickly
    Nice work mark.Im guessing you're going to move onto the sides for some buttressing now.Are you going with a concrete mix or vermi mix there?
    Keep it up
    Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

First fire tonight. Just did some newspaper to start the process. As you can see from the photo, I still have some of my arch support inside the oven that it will have to burn out.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Yea the big grinders are far from elegant.I almost clipped my leg on a couple of occassions trying to make compound cuts in awkward positions so you definately need to have your wits about you when using one.

Having said that ,i can almost taste the pizza now so all that effort was worth while.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Agree on the fun of cutting bricks with a grinder. I got a 230mm grinder as the small one I had was not big enough to get through the bricks.

The agreement I had with my wife is that if a tool has a use after the oven, it does not count towards the cost of the oven. After cutting my last brick, I was very tempted to throw it out I was so sick of the sight of it and worried about hurting myself with it. I have since found out they are banned on some mine sites because they are too dangerous.

I agree a brick saw is the way to go if I ever do it again.
    Last edited by mnl; 12-16-2013, 02:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Did you cut all your tapered bricks at the arch with a grinder like me?
    Heaps of fun eh? If i ever do another oven ill be getting a brick saw for sure.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Thanks John. It is mostly refractory cement which is how I got the close joints. The thickness is supposed to be no more than 2mm with what I was using. The walls and the vault are done with this, but I needed something a bit more forgiving with the front bricks coming down at the front, therefore used home brew. I had some left over, therefore just put a thin layer over the top of the vault rather than throwing out. Guess I should leave it a couple of days or a week if I can. Maybe next weekend.

Regards

Mark

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Coming along very nicely Mark,well done.
    I really like the small joints you managed to achieve,that will definately work in your favour down the line.
    As for curing,it looks like you're using the homebrew mix?If so i think you want to give it a week before starting any sort of curing.However ,if you are using refractory cement,it can be as quick as 24 hrs.
    Keep up the good work.

Regards,john

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Another photo of today's progress.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

A big day today. It all seems to have come together well towards the end.

When should I start curing?

Guess I should go get some insulating blanket to put over the top.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

This mornings effort was get the top of the barrel laid. It has come up not to bad considering it the amount of Christmas cheer consumed last night.

Off to get the kids from the grandparents, the a couple of more bricks followed by the flue.

Woo hoo! I even got the photo the right way round.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

A fine mist will drop the airborne dust and the stuff on the ground can be hosed away into the soil.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Make sure you wear a mask or the brick dust might kill you. The dust from fired clay is dangerous to the lungs.
    Understand. I have been wearing one of these.

Protector Respirator Kit I/N 5822368 | Bunnings Warehouse

What worries me, even after cleaning up there is still some dust around and the kids breathing it in.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    Today's progress. Hopefully it is starting to look like a pizza oven. The plan for tomorrow is to build some forms and start the arch (if my wife does not kill me first because of the brick dust I have created).

Apologies, appear to have got the photo the wrong way round again.
    Make sure you wear a mask or the brick dust might kill you. The dust from fired clay is dangerous to the lungs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X