replied
    Re: Finally started

Front lintel poured this morning

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Looking at the pic of the stand with the cement mixer in the foreground.
    You slab is about the same height as the surrounding ground. It also appears from the pic the oven is on the low side of the yard. If we have a good storm or a big rain day like last Australia's day the stand could fill with water.
    You might add a extra layer of builders plastic on the top slab under the insulation layer for piece of mind.
    I thought mine was high enough till it got flooded last Australia Day, and trust me a wet oven and stand takes forever to dry.
    Regards dave
    Spoon drain after last nights storm
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	302398
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Make sure you get onside with your neighbours. In Qld. (or at least where I live) if you build closer than 1.5m from your boundary fence and you get complaints, they can force you to remove it, which may mean demolition.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

End of progress for the day as has started raining. Getting close to be ready to core filled.
    Last edited by mnl; 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM. Reason: Rotate photo

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Still going with the barrel vault as had my mind set on it. Also picked up a loan of a cement mixer yesterday. It is my brother in laws brother in law's cement mixer.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Looking good Mark,
    Are you still going with a vault design or an igloo type dome?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    End of progress for the day. The top left brick us the height of the top of the slab. If you have seen the photo in the foreground, I have taken Dave's advice and fitted everything in place with my biggest hammer.

This new angle grinder is a weapon. I really do not enjoy using it!
    Gudday
    I have a lumpy hammer which would do the job real well. I have a few to pick from.
    At work , a watch band pin hammer, 2 jewelers hammers. A Italian boot hammer, 2 London hammers ( one marked John Barnsley which became John Barnsley and sons in 1880) a slide hammer and 2 tack hammers( one of my own design) a nylon mallet and leather face hammer.
    At home , 2 more London hammers. A 20 oz Estwing and 26 oz . A tack hammer. 2 different size engineers hammer. The lumpy hammer, rubber mallet, nylon mallet, and a sledge hammer.
    So I've got all tasks covered.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Slowly but surely

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

End of progress for the day. The top left brick us the height of the top of the slab. If you have seen the photo in the foreground, I have taken Dave's advice and fitted everything in place with my biggest hammer.

This new angle grinder is a weapon. I really do not enjoy using it!

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Finally some progress. First course laid on mortar to make sure level.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I also used arch bricks. Worked out the combination to form my dome. It's posted on my thread.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    I was initially leaning towards the flater arch, however now starting to think the steeper arch would be better. I can fiddle with the height of the sides to make sure I comform to the 63% golden rule.

I know a flater arch has more lateral force on the walls, however are there any other pros and cons of a flater or steeper arch for a barrel vault?
    The flatter the arch, the higher up the thrust line exits the abutment (wall). No matter what your final arch shape, you will need to reinforce the walls with something....reinforced cladding, buttresses, or two wythe sections.

60% - 64% for the oven opening is the ideal range.

If it was me building a vault, I would favor a flatter ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

I'm trying to work out the geometry of my arch and would be interested in your thoughts on the best approach. I'm planning on using tapered bricks which come in 63/75 x 115 x 230 or 69/75 x 115 x 230. This should naturally create an arch shape, however which one I use will determine how steep the arch will be. I was initially leaning towards the flater arch, however now starting to think the steeper arch would be better. I can fiddle with the height of the sides to make sure I comform to the 63% golden rule.

I know a flater arch has more lateral force on the walls, however are there any other pros and cons of a flater or steeper arch for a barrel vault?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
    If only you could be around to see that being opened in a 100 years or so. That put a really cool twist on your build.
    Gudday
    Whilst ripping out a wall in a house renovation I found a wallet, can of soft drink and a pr of pliers on a stud. The wallet had a paper driving licence paper bills including 1 and 2 dollar notes. It took us months to track him down to the next suburb and return his wallet. He was gob smacked it had been in the wall since 1973 and didn't see daylight till 1999. He did an electrical job at the house but didnt think he left his wallet there. We didn't except any money for its return but did drink a few beers with the old guy.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Soak a canvas drop cloth or old sheet, then cover it with plastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X