This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FB Brand Insulation

Quick question on the insulation. Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to cover it with construction paper prior to laying down the outside stucco layer? I am asking because my so called Waterproof stucco wasn't exactly waterproof last year and in my rebuild am trying to keep the oven a bit more dry.

Comment

try looking at my build and us Alum foil and it will be WATERPROOF

Comment

Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to cover it with construction paper prior to laying down the outside stucco layer?
        Heat some up and smell it: that should answer your question. The larger question is whether you want an absolute vapor barrier between your oven insulation and your outer layer: it may prevent water getting in, but if your oven gets wet from another source (Igloo oven owners report that the place between the dome and the flat surface is a problem) it will also slow the re-drying of the insulation.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I feel placing it after the insulation is a good thing as a vapor barrier and I would fire the oven atleast a dozen time before sealing it up just to help dry it out then you can see how bad the cracks arer and if anything needs fixed before moving on to the insulation process

Comment

Okay, I am getting kind of overwhelmed with the Hearth insulation news. I was going to pour the vermiculite concrete mix over my pad this weekend. Should I wait and get the new FB board or do a combination. Cost seams like it adds quite a bit.

Comment

I'm building my second oven in Grapeview, wa. and will definetly be using your new products.
              Also would it be possible to purchase your 12"x12" floor tiles , my last oven had the 9x4.5 x 2.5 refractory bricks wich work fine but have more seams.
              Thanks in advance David

Comment

can anyone tell me if you can buy these products through the UK site???

ta

Comment

answer my own question. doooh. funny that look and you will find.

could not see it earlier. but thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                    I feel so "old school" having used perlite and vermiculite. I guess my saving grace was the 2" insulfrax that I used on the dome. Maybe I should build a new oven, and get with the times
                    Nothing wrong with (old-school) How do you think we got here? New tec.'s great but the old boys weren't that bad.

Comment

I am building my oven on a slope, so the oven base is on the ground clay. I thought to lay the first layer of rebar concrete on a plastic DPM. Could I then put a layer of blue styrofoam, the sort used to lay underfloor heating pipes in poured concrete domestic flooring. This would give protection against rising damp as well as extra heat barrier. Next the silicate FB board. Try for 3" in the hope that no more than 100deg will ever penetrate to the styrofoam. Finally the refectory bricks.
                      Does anyone know if this could work?
                      My next problem for another thread is that the soild will then be stacked up from the slope behind the oven, so to prevent water penetrating where it leans against the oven dome.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post

FB Board is also 97% Alumina Silica and rated to 1260?C (2300?F). The density is 18.75lb/sq. ft. We are able to purchase 12"x36"x2" boards, so you can buy only what you need, and won't waste material. The cost is $27.50 per board, which is less than SuperIsol -- and very close to the cost of vermiculite.

James
                        What happened to the price??? The store now says $70.00 per board!
                        That would mean I need to spend $210.00 for 3 boards??? Ouch Thats a third of my entire material list for Stand, Hearth and Dome.

Am I seeing this price correctly?

Thanks
                        Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

If you look closely you'll see the boards now are double the size James mentions in the post you quote. The price is has gone up but not much considering the way the price of everything has gone up the last few years as the dollar has plummeted.

Comment

Ahhhh yes, you are right! I did not see that. 12"x36" vs. 24"x36"

Makes me feel much better. Thanks again!
                            Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

I placed the fb board on my platform and trimmed to size with a jigsaw. worked great. Only problem is inconsistent thickness of FB board. See photo. I will level with fireclay and sand mix as recommended from previous post. Is this normal for the FB board?
                              Texman Kitchen
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I had the same problems with the FB board. There was quite a bit of variation with thickness. I did the same as you suggested, put a layer of dry fireclay underneath to even it out.
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X