Well i quess im building an oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well i quess im building an oven!

You have two choices, pour a slab on a well-drained bed of crushed stone, in which case your excavation should be fine, or to dig down below the frost line, and pour footings on undisturbed soil, and build your structure up from there.

The first choice should be fine if it's a free-standing oven, without a tall masonry chimney.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well five hours later i dug the hole to 10" and filled it with pea gravel (about 3-4" tommorrow i will get some crushed gravel and compact it. Some pics for all. Any recommendations or issues you see let me know.

Comment

Now that's some fine helpers! I'm sure you'll pay them in pizza later!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Well i just finished with the gravel (1yard) and packed it. Then i cut up an old tarp laid that down, then wire mesh (some old chainlink fence i had) and rebar. I think im ready for concrete. Ill probably wait till the end of the month to avoid any freezing issues. Again if anyone sees any issues let me know.

Comment

OUCH.... 50 CINDER BLOCKS COST ME $3.29 EACH

Wallet not happy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FIREANDFLAMES View Post
              Wallet not happy!!!!

Wallet be happy later !!! You just have to do some modern math.

Buying pizza = $25 for the family
              Making pizza = $3 for the family

You save $22 everytime you fire your oven.

Now the important math

Buying pizza made in a factory and cooked by minimum wage careless students ---- Tastes bad and is very expensive

Making your own pizza with love, and cooking it excellently in your WFO.....Cheap and priceless.

Bruce
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Build it Bruce! There's no time like the present, except for yesterday, or in the case of planting trees, 20 years ago.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                  There's no time like the present, except for yesterday, or in the case of planting trees, 20 years ago.
                  I like that! You should put that as your quote line.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

[QUOTE=brokencookie;29788]Wallet be happy later !!! You just have to do some modern math.

Now the important math

Buying pizza made in a factory and cooked by minimum wage careless students ---- Tastes bad and is very expensive

Making your own pizza with love, and cooking it excellently in your WFO.....Cheap and priceless.

Yeah i like that ........mabye wallet is feeling better now

Comment

The weather network looks great for the end of the month so i will pour my foundation on the 30th or the first! Up until this point it did not feel like it was gonna happen but now im just EXTREMELY EXCITED!!!!

Comment

Geeze Frances. You like my ramblings? You're obviously as confused as I.
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

[QUOTE=FIREANDFLAMES;29861]
                          Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
                          Wallet be happy later !!! You just have to do some modern math.

Now the important math

Yeah i like that ........mabye wallet is feeling better now
                          Have you read my Pizza Economics page? Build an oven; send you kids to college for two years on the savings. :-)

Pizza Oven Economics | Why You Should Install a Pizza Oven

James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

In the last two days we have got 10cm of snow five days ago we were out in our shorts and t-shirts soaking up a little sun and prepping our rv.
                            Its -15 and you would never know its spring! oh well Like the saying goes, "if you dont like the weather in alberta wait an hour"!

Comment

Its back to being sunny and the snow is almost gone i will be pouring my foundation on thursday. From the pics in my other posts i was wondering if i should dig post holes in the four corners of the foundation pour about 8" footing let that dry and then pour my slab letting the holes fill up and having kinda like a table with legs. What do you guys think?

Comment

This is not a good idea. Having four cast posts at each corner of the slab just gives the ice lenses something to grab on to. Better stick to the proven: Wide heavy footings on bare earth below the frost line, or a slab on well-drained crushed rock fill. Either plan will work fine.

This is not a deck where it's not that big a deal if one corner gets pushed up a few inches. Ovens are heavy and rigid.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X