No announcement yet.

Mobile Oven Dome in MIchigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a simple curved trowel to set my pcrete which I used 8 to 1 doing the layers in 4" lifts.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Finished my curing fires today. After reading tons of posts on curing methods and timing I decided on the following.

Day 1 - two chaffing dish fuels for 6 hours - high temp 120 F
      Day 2 - four chaffing dish fuels for 6 hours - high temp 200 F
      Day 3 - turkey fryer burner on very low for 8 hours - high temp 300F
      Day 4 - turkey burner on med for 8 hours - high temp 500 F
      Day 5 - wood fire for 6 hours - high temp 700 F
      Day 6 - wood fire for 5 hours - high temp 1,000 F

This seems to have worked pretty good. I plan to do a cooking fire tomorrow....

Comment

Thanks Russell. I’ll give that a shot.

Comment

I have 2” of blanket insulation and 2” vermiculite at 10:1 ratio. Can I just start cooking fires to dry the vermiculite prior to applying the stucco?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            I made a simple curved trowel to set my pcrete which I used 8 to 1 doing the layers in 4" lifts.
            Hi Utahbeehiver,
            Thank you for the great info you contribute to this great forum.
            How long did you hold the curved trowel to set my pcrete?
            Also, I am planning to have a 8" pcrete ( approx. 20cm), Is that doable with the 8 to 1?
            My pcrete is going to be vermiculite mixed with large pumice stone, do you think 8:1 is workable?

Comment

Held trowel until pcrete would not fall away, less than 60 seconds if I recall but I did not do 8" thickness, more like 3" so I cannot say how long 8" will take but you will need to do it in vertical lifts so it does not collapse vertically as well. 8 to 1 is what I used but can't say how pumice will affect workability or insulation factor.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I finished my oven in August and have been burning cooking fires to dry out the render before I do my final coat which I think is going to be paint but could possibly be a colored, watered down product that David has talked about that can be brushed on.

Comment

One issue I am having is my chimney...I am using a 8x8 clay flue (I like the look). It is removable so I can store it when I travel. However, the flue is cracking. I believe this is because of the temp variance between the inside of the flue and the outside...especially on cool nights. Has anyone ever insulated the flue in a way that was attractive? Could I get way with using a flue blanket just until it warmed up and then leave it bare after heating the oven? Thanks for any thoughts.

Comment

Just refreshing the question in my prior post about using a clay flue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X