X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Well, a few follow-ups...

1. It's so nice to hear you care about the well-being of your pets and family. As a pet-owner and animal lover, that's refreshing to hear. :-)
    2. I really appreciate your candor regarding the build notes.. ie CaSi board vs. Pcrete base. This is something I've struggled with for several weeks now. Obviously, economics is a concern for most folks. I was also hoping to build an oven that would replicate an "old-world" build, but I'm learning through folks like yourself that trying to replicate these more ancient methods aren't always cheaper / easier / efficient. So I have some more food for thought. :-)
    3. I understand what you're staying about all the extra cuts. As my build is at my weekend property and I won't have a chance to work daily on it, I will probably take your advice and forgo some intricate cuts in order to keep pace on the project. I plan to use the home-brew so I'm hoping the extra mortar costs won't be too obnoxious.

All that being said.. I really do l like the look of your alternating course sizes and it's given me some new ideas to chew on before I start laying my bricks. Appreciate your feedback and keep the pics coming. It's looking awesome!

- Scott

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Ope-dog No, I don't let that cat outside. He's strictly indoors. There's too much car traffic where I live. Been there, done that, hate to tell the kids that it happened.

I did the Pcrete mix for the base. I figured it'd be a lot cheaper than using the CaSi board. It wasn't. If I would ever build another oven it's going to be with the board as the base.

The 1st several courses have a taper/bevel on 3 of the 4 long sides. My idea was the more exact I cut the bricks, the less gap I'd have between them and thus to use a lot less mortar. It worked that way. I'm this far into the build and have only used 1.25 bags of mortar where a lot of other builders have used 3+ bags for their build. The b.... here is how much time it took to make all of those extra cuts. For time management sake, it's better to just use more mortar. I'd be finished with the dome by now if I did. The last few courses I've laid don't have the bevel cut on the top. Just the sides that touch the adjacent brick in the same course.. The increase in the gap between the rear of the bricks is easy to see in the picture if you look for it.

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Hi Chris... thanks for the pics of your build. It's really coming together and looking great!!! Your insulation hearth looks robust... I believe you said you did a 5:1 Pcrete pour for that? I'm also a little curious about your courses.. it appears that you use some "skinny" cuts every 2 or 3 courses. Is this for aesthetics, a way to use up brick cuts, or some other reason? I'm just curious as I haven't seen this on other ovens, but I do think it looks pretty cool! (I'm sure the wives are saying.. "who cares.. who will be looking in the oven anyway?" And the husbands are replying... " the whole point of brick is TO LOOK inside the oven!! Haha)

Keep this pics coming.. I love your "supervisor" in the first pic of your saw. Has he/she been out to jump up and inspect your hard work? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I had a few scraps of laminate flooring from my daughters room. I laid them on the cooking floor to keep it clean. Notice: the seams run parallel to the opening so that I can get it out when I'm done.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    More pictures
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    More pictures as I haven't posted in a while.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    This is the last row that the inner arch intersects.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Great progress, well done.

I used a 2" piece of polystyrene for my arch form. As soon as I placed the last brick I took it out to clean up the joints... i don't advise doing this.

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I put an expansion joint/heat break in the hearth. It's filled with crushed up low density fire bricks and the ends are filled in with Kaowool tape "glued" in with rtv sealant.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I stripped the forms off of the insulating hearth this morning at 7 AM and worked all day.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I haven't uploaded anything in a while. Today I mixed mortar for bricks for the 1st time. I mortared the 1st course and started cutting the inner arch tapers.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris inPA View Post
    Chach Perfect. Thank you again. How deep was your inner arch form?
    Like 5" or so I think that part doesn't matter as you need it just to hold the brick a little when assembling and putting the arch together it will stick to the brick next and hold it the form is just that to keep the form your shooting for and provide some support. Russell is correct you want to shim that form off the ground so you're not beating the form out. My picture does not show this part as I did not do it until later. Here is my picture showing this.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Pic 1 incorrect, pic 2 correct. Be sure leave a release under your arch form, at least 1/2" so you can drop form out without disturbing the arch.
    Chalch's placement of the arch is correct. Your arch template width is fine, you don't want it too wide.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Chach Perfect. Thank you again. How deep was your inner arch form?

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Here us a picture of where the inside of the arch should be set. The inside of the arch should touch the ovens inside circumference. note my picture looks like the arch is away from the inner circumference but that is because I cut the floor about 1/8"-3/16" shorter for expansion.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X