X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Question in placement of the inner arch:

I believe that the outermost edge of the inner arch should touch the edge of the line which indicates the circumference. Is that correct? Or is it the innermost edge that should touch?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    You may want to experiment with the refractory mortar before you use it on the whole oven. It is an air set but a heat cure. Ovens typically may not get hot enough for a heat cure. You should run these products by the blog before you purchase.
    I agree with Russell...it gets very exciting to start and when you see a deal I understand the feeling of wanting to jump on it, but you have to make sure the product your buying is going to be right for the application it was intended for. This forum is a great resource for these types of questions don't hold back. My experience with refractory mortars is this I used heat stop 50 on my outdoor fireplace and it worked good but expensive. I used the homebrew for the actual oven and I liked that much better and was very easy to work with. I would use it again if I built another.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You may want to experiment with the refractory mortar before you use it on the whole oven. It is an air set but a heat cure. Ovens typically may not get hot enough for a heat cure. You should run these products by the blog before you purchase.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You are probably talking about the length of the bricks for a tapered inner arch. Attached is a detail of how each brick is cut from a full length brick. As I mentioned the top dead center brick is the longest length brick. I suggest you do a search for tapered inner arch, JR did a good job, there was an Aussie builder recently as well but forgot name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapered arch.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	429000

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    What the wall looks like pointed.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I found some refractory cement in Marketplace. I got 6 of the 1/2 gallon tubs for $20.00.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    UtahBeehiver What I meant was in the pictures of your build, there's one picture in particular that looks like a 6" brick aside of the taper cut brick aside of your template. It's definitely not a 1/2 brick, but it doesn't look like a full 9" either.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    With a tapered inner arch you need to start with a full length brick (9") not 1/2 bricks as a basis. However, they are cut based on the IT for the inside and outside of the dome. The longest brick is the top dead center of the arch since the dome moves away the farthest from the inner arch. On tapered inner arches each brick is slightly different so you cannot cut them all the same. This is one of the most difficult concept for builders to mentally visualize but you get a "ah hah" moment as the arch takes shape. It is best to pre-lay the full arch out rather than cut as you go.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    UtahBeehiver , looking at the pictures of your build, it looks like the bricks comprising your inner arch aren't the full 9" in depth. They look to be 6" in length. Am I correct in that assumption?

Chach My original build thread.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Waiting for my perlite to arrive. So, I started covering the blocks with a stone vernier. mongota Thank you again for that idea. I'll pour columns on the ends afterwards. Perhaps I should have poured the columns 1st.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Angle grinder, diamond blade, sweat, and words I don't say in Church.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    I stripped off the forms from the hearth today.

I made a custom Keystone for the outer arch.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Hearth poured today.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Outside arch is 28"
    Inner arch is 24".

Both are cut a quarter inch short with the intention of shimming to the proper height.

Leave a comment:

• Chris inPA
    replied
    Again.
    Let's try this picture.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X