Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt you'll regret it.

Comment

Weep hole question: Is there anything wrong with simply using a long drill bit and boring through the slab to create my weep holes?
      What comes easy won't last long, and what lasts long won't be easy.

Comment

You can. I drill from the bottom up the drill blow out will be on top and not seen. Also, cut some wire mesh and silicon over the holes to prevent bugs from building homes.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post

I recommend you give careful consideration to the height of your cooking surface. Specifically to how much you will need to bend over to tend to your fire and pizzas.
          It's most definitely a personal choice but do your back a favor. Make a mock up of your oven floor and your outer arch, then simulate reaching into the 'oven' to build a fire and use a broom handle to place and tend to 'pizzas'.

I'm 6 feet and my oven floor is 48.5 inches from the ground.
          Yeah....I'm even more of an armpit guy. To me, it's the best working elevation for an oven. Anywhere from the elbow to the armpit is a good suggestion for the main user.
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Lots of rain this week. So, I couldn't start on my cinder block base for the hearth.

I built my I T.
            I modified the wet saw to allow bricks to fit under the motor housing.
            I started building my brick cutting jig.

But, I still haven't figured out how to resize my photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris inPA View Post
              Lots of rain this week. So, I couldn't start on my cinder block base for the hearth.

I built my I T.
              I modified the wet saw to allow bricks to fit under the motor housing.
              I started building my brick cutting jig.

But, I still haven't figured out how to resize my photos.
              HA! You'll get there. From my phone I use and app called "photo and picture resizer". Pick the photo and shrink it by 50%. Works easy enough for me.

Comment

Trying to resize and attach. Technically challenged I am.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is my jig for cutting bricks with the wet saw.
                  Attached Files

Comment

26 inches deep under the footprint of where my block will sit. 2.5 yards of concrete, 2 layers of rebar for reinforcing it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My slab wet and after I stripped the forms.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rebar is epoxy set into the slab. Waiting for a dry day to set the blocks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The horizontal bars in the picture are just tied in to allow me to keep the vertical bars level. Of course they're coming off to allow the blocks to slide over them.

Comment

It's a 7" wet saw. So, it won't cut through a brick in 1 stroke. I'll need to flip the brick to cut the remainder. I have it raised high enough to allow it to pass over my jig without cutting into it.

Comment

The normal procedure is to have short starter bars hooked over, then lay the blocks, then hooking the longer bar onto the starter bars just before filling the cores. This avoids having to thread the blocks over each bar.

It doesn’t make much difference, doing it your way eliminates bending the hooks. But it would be a pain building blocks 3m high that way.
                              Last edited by david s; 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David S, I don;t have a bender. And I'm only going 3 courses high.

Comment

Working...
                                X