Corner Build in South East PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris inPA View Post
    David S, I don;t have a bender. And I'm only going 3 courses high.
    A length of 3/4" steel pipe around a metre long works ok.
    Last edited by david s; 08-07-2020, 04:06 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

FYI # 4 rebar can easily be bent with a piece of scrap 3/4" or 1" steel pipe.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You can use a plumbers torch and heat the spot you want to bend until it's black and it starts giving off red sparks, then bend it with the pipe. It will bend exactly where you heated it.
        Last edited by Grahamstein; 08-08-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Ok. Thanks
          What comes easy won't last long, and what lasts long won't be easy.

Comment

A conduit bender works good as well if you have one otherwise a scrap piece of pipe as stated will work great. It's pretty easy to bend. I wouldn't mess with a torch as there is no real need to do so.

Ricky
            My Build Pictures
            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Forms finished for the hearth pour. Rebar to be installed tomorrow.
              Attached Files

Comment

Chris inPA - looking good, sir! You have a strong robust build going on there (I had to go pretty deep with the dig too - exhausting stuff - but wound up with a near bomb shelter!).
                Poured my hearth on Saturday past - 24 bags later - eesh - remember - good to plan the weep holes BEFORE the pour with some PVC or rubber tubing (I had to drill after the fact - thank goodness Utahbeehiver stepped in to remind me before it cured!).

You have a strong frame there for the hearth support - looking at your frame and under board - it sits higher than flush with the block - is this what you designed?
                I know the FB plans suggest setting the height of the frame low enough to accommodate a flush lay of plywood/hard board on top.

Did you purposefully make the hard board slightly higher?
                Just curious
                Barry
                You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Yes, it's on purpose. If I was using plywood I'd have had to set it lower and inside the edge of the block so that it could be removed afterward. Because I used cement board, it doesn't have to be removed. It'll stay in place as the bottom side of the hearth.

I'm not doing bags of concrete. Unfortunately, I've got a bad back and had knee surgery this year also. I'm having a truck deliver mud. If you noticed, none of my blocks are filled. Usually every other cell is cement and rebar, and the remainder of the blocks are filled with whatever. Because the min delivery is 1 yard, I'm filling every block.

Comment

Rebar is installed. Ready to pour.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I set 2 courses of 1/2 blocks inside the wood storage area. They're there fir a little more strength and best if all... I will be putting hooks into them eventually for convenient storage of my peel and brushes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A lot of the builds have a beer or 2 in the pictures. I've no problem with a beer or 2. However, gentlemen I'm building a Pompeii oven, not a Weber grill.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris inPA View Post
                          A lot of the builds have a beer or 2 in the pictures. I've no problem with a beer or 2. However, gentlemen I'm building a Pompeii oven, not a Weber grill.
                          Or plugging in a George Foreman grill. LOL
                          My Build Pictures
                          https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I'll drink a little wine with a meal. But, after a hot day of laying brick, give me a budweiser . Also, if you have one, don't put that weber by the curb just yet. It may still come in handy as you expand your cooking repertoire .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              FYI # 4 rebar can easily be bent with a piece of scrap 3/4" or 1" steel pipe.
                              True. Two pieces of pipe work even better. Gives you a much tighter bend.
                              My Build:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I used an old wash line pipe that's no longer being used. I simply slid it in to about where I thought it s/b, and pulled down. It bent much easier than I anticipated.

Comment

Working...
                                X