Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first WFO design, any comments before I build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark, I doubt if anybody here can tell you what sufficient is, since we can't "feel" how rigid your stand is and some have cautioned about using wood in the first place. That's why I used the term "overbuild" - it's so hard to know what the "minimum necessary" is, so most either overbuild or follow tried and true designs. david s said his 21" oven weighs in around 250 kilos, so at a minimum I'd find a way to proof load the stand and see if there is any wiggle or horizontal motion. If there is you need to brace better. If it feels stout under load you just need to make sure the wood does not degrade over time. Also since you are building your oven in what might be a temporary location thinking about how to pick it up and move it might be prudent, both in the case of a potential relocation or any repairs/upgrades to the stand.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by Mark1986 View Post
      Thanks for the advice on safety! I postponed pouring the concrete and focused on the stand. I couldn't find cross bar easy/fast enough. So I decided to add heavy duty steel corner plating on all sides and I added additional bars 6.5 x 6.5 cm below (see photos). Is this sufficient?

cheers!
      Hi Mark
      You're asking a lot of those little steel brackets. The force near the hinge point, i.e. the single bolt location, is pretty big. No-one can say if they'll hold or not, but I would consider (timber) cross bracing essential if I was building it.
      Regards,
      Mark
      Click image for larger version  Name:	cross-bracing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	438530
      Attached Files
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post

Hi Mark
        You're asking a lot of those little steel brackets. The force near the hinge point, i.e. the single bolt location, is pretty big. No-one can say if they'll hold or not, but I would consider (timber) cross bracing essential if I was building it.
        Regards,
        Mark
        Click image for larger version Name:	cross-bracing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	438530
        I feel confident that the system won't buckle when I pour in the concrete. After this is done, I'l test if there is any movement in the frame. If so, I will add the cross bracing. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Good luck!
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Today I poured in the concrete, and I'm quite happy with the result, as this was my first time!

Pouring:
            - adding 25kg and 3 liters of water in a bucket and mix it
            - pour it in the box
            - trowel the layer
            - repeat

Removing air bubbles
            - pounding the whole box with a rubber hammer, including bottom

Reinforcing
            - Added thick rebar at 1/3 of the slab

Curing
            - After 6 hours I started curing the concrete by pouring over water every couple of hours and I cover it with a plastic tarpaulin

What stood out:
            - At the recommended 2.3 liters of water the concrete felt really dry, added 700ml more

Any comments on my progress?

Comment

Today I poured in the concrete, and I'm quite happy with the result, as this was my first time!

Pouring:
              - adding 25kg and 3 liters of water in a bucket and mix it
              - pour it in the box
              - trowel the layer
              - repeat

Removing air bubbles
              - pounding the whole box with a rubber hammer, including bottom

Reinforcing
              - Added thick rebar at 1/3 of the slab

Curing
              - After 6 hours I started curing the concrete by pouring over water every couple of hours and I cover it with a plastic tarpaulin

What stood out:
              - At the recommended 2.3 liters of water the concrete felt really dry, added 700ml more

Any comments on my progress?

Nice. Also, I like your shirt! LOL. (Yes, I'm a Saffa too.)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post

Nice. Also, I like your shirt! LOL. (Yes, I'm a Saffa too.)
                Haha nice! I'm a Dutch rugby player, definitely fan of the springbokken!

Comment

Haha nice! I'm a Dutch rugby player, definitely fan of the springbokken!
                  Aha! Cool. What team do you play for?
                  As an aside - Some years back I spent a week or so in Amsterdam and surrounds and managed to get by quite well with Afrikaans. Most people simply thought I was a poorly educated country bumpkin! LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X