No announcement yet.

Casa100 Build - Chico CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As to the screws question, I backed up the screws with a couple of ratchet strips. The blocking mid way also helped keep the sides from bowing. Seemed to work ok for me but I am one of the least experienced ones here. Thought the photo might help you though. See post #13

A friend lent me a mixer but I would have gotten one, but I am lazy. And I think the mixer does a better job. My hearth was like 57" x 63" ish and I used 19 bags. I have seen videos of guys doing much larger jobs by hand but wow, lots of work. I think not having to mix allows more time to work with the concrete in the form.

Everything I have read about the hearth on here just mentions the rebar in the configuration you mention. Not sure why the mesh is skipped but I would guess that with that close a matrix of rebar, the mesh is redundant. In the base, the rebar is only laid around the edges so the mesh helps in the middle.

Re the taping of the seam, I did the support slightly different, a plywood bottom that was removed. I put a 2x6 under the seam to support its length, and I taped it.

I am starting my steel stud frame soon too and have not done much with them either. I consulted a carpenter friend and he gave me a few pointers and ideas.

I am confused...you are building the house before the oven?
    Last edited by Shawnr; 10-08-2021, 06:49 PM.
    My build

Comment

Thanks Shawnr - Not building the house yet just thinking ahead. Good idea with the straps. I think I'll try that!. Great idea putting the mixer up on blocks!

Comment

All I have time for today. Headed to San Francisco to watch the Giants Dodgers playoff game. Go Giants!

Comment

Getting a little done each day. It finally started raining in Nor Cal (which is good). Got some snow at Lake Tahoe and on the coast range. Winter is coming!. We'll be skiing in no time I'll be looking for a dry weekend to get the hearth poured.

Comment

Are you going to raise the rebar off the duracrete floor?
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yes, I'll put two pieces of scrap 1/2" hardie backer under each cross member. That should put it a little under the middle
              Last edited by hillscp; 10-19-2021, 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

hillscp I probably should not be giving suggestions on this website with the experience that is here but will throw 2 cents in anyways.... I know you asked about the strapping I used on my hearth form. Looking at the form you have, I really would not trust the screws/nails at the 45 degree joints so a strap with blocking in place to ensure it is effective at those joints would be a good idea. You could scab on extra 2x4 or 6's over the 45 degree joints too. I don't know much about forming but know that a form blowing out would ruin an otherwise fun day.

Good luck!
                My build

Comment

Thanks for looking out for me I have a couple of things to do before the pour. Straps and lifting the rebar up. It's supposed to rain until next Wednesday though so it might have to wait. I have it all covered in a tarp so the form won't warp. BTW there are 3 1/2 inch #10 screws in all the corners.

Comment

Been a while since I posted. The Hearth is poured, It appears that the oven has a winter solstice alignment in the northern hemisphere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	264782187_10224541902369085_3197957398397515550_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	510.6 KB ID:	443504
                    Last edited by hillscp; 12-05-2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The work has been a little slow due to a vacation and my day job and the weather. It has been really foggy here for the last several weeks. The kind of fog that drips off the trees like rain.
                      • Progress so far
                        • I got the hearth poured. I drilled holes for drainage. No tile though
                        • I set the FB Board and the floor. I tried to float the floor on sand but I could not get that to work to my satisfaction. The floor has small "ears" on both sides and they would not stay flat plus I was pretty sure I was going to end up with sandy pizza. I put the dome on with the floor embedded in sand and I was absolutely not happy with it so i took it all apart and started over again using the refractory mortar that comes with the kit. I was afraid I would not have enough to do the floor and seal the joints but it was perfect. I had to mix the mortar pretty wet because the board soaked up moisture. I finally got a spray bottle and wet the FB down. I also kept the ffoor wet for a couple of days while the mortar set.
                        • Set the dome
                        • Trimmed off the FB Board.
                        • Sealed the dome joints with refractory mortar
                        • Wrapped the dome in fire blanket today. They say they provide enough for three inches of insulation but there is enough for four
                        • Had to stop because it got dark and a big pacific storm is coming and will dump 6' (1.8m) of snow in the high elevations over the next three days. Hunkering down
                        • Covered it with a tarp.
                        • Came inside and poured myself a glass of bourbon. I'm too old to stack wood LOL
                      Bought a cord of almond wood today and stacked it. My daughter Abbey helped me. Lots of splitting in my future...
                      Last edited by hillscp; 12-11-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Almond doesn't grow where I live, so I'm not very familiar with it. I shy away from most anything that needs splitting. Usually, I am going in behind firewood cutters and taking the small limbs that they don't want to bother with for free. I can't help but wonder if that beautiful orchard has a debris pile of free limbs?
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf. It will be quite a chore splitting the wood. I have a wood stove too so I'll probably use most of it in there. That is a great idea going out in the orchard and picking up limbs. There was a huge smoking burn pile on my way in and I'm sure that's probably where the limbs ended up. Almond wood is prized around here as firewood, cooking wood and WFO wood. I have a friend who owns a restaurant with a WFO. He uses almond wood exclusively but he pays a premium to have it split up. California produces 55% of the worlds Almonds and most of them grow where I live (along with Walnuts). Here are a couple of beautiful orchard shots from last spring (I'm an amateur photographer)

Comment

I picked up a small hydraulic splitter from Harbor Freight, and although slow it sure saves the wear and tear on the body. It's especially useful on the smaller rounds as you can make nice uniform pieces vs swinging an axe and hoping you hit the right spot, and not any meat
                            On the rare occasion I can get some free fruit wood I save it for live fire cooking and use any soft wood I get for getting the oven up to temperature.
                            Last edited by JRPizza; 12-12-2021, 12:04 PM.
                            My build thread
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

hillscp , Beautiful pics of the almond blooms. That orchard is awesome in full bloom. For the past few years, dead fall limbs have been my primary oven source for fuel. It has already dried while still on the tree and burns fast without lots of smoke. If it has been a couple of weeks since the last rain, it is ready for the oven. If I gather it right after a storm, I will place it under one of my sheds for about a month before using. I always keep back a firing or two of dry wood for emergencies: power outages etc. Mixed in with what they call seasoned wood (which is not totally dry) it works great. The dead fall in the below pic is of dead fall pecan. Like oak, as long as there is a little snap when it breaks, it's good wood. I'm guessing that almond wood is similar. The smaller stuff, I bundle with natural fiber string. That makes it easier to move and handle later. With the natural fiber string, a whole bundle can be placed in the oven.

I think that you will be rewarded by getting with the land owner or the caretaker to find out when the older trees were being thinned and if it was ok to gather dead fall. Not many folks down here pass up my offers for cleanup

JRPizza ,I have a manual two cylinder hydraulic Harbor Freight splitter. I have used it from time to time. I can't do the axe thing anymore lol. I have some large pear wood that I removed from my neighbors yard on hand. The HF splitter will definitely get used for that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wind falls.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	443604
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have no idea how much wood it takes to get an oven up to pizza temp (or any temp). My friend keeps inviting me over to the restaurant to fire up the oven and make some dough. I'll have to take him up on it. His oven never cools off.

Comment

Working...
                                X