Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally decided on 32in castable dome

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will this breather cap work?

    Guys taking the advice on here and some kind suggestions of links fromAlomran I’ve bought the following Motorcycle Tank Gas Cap.

    Having got it though I’m a bit unsure as to whether it’s fit for purpose. I’m not sure a pressure build up will force the mechanism open and it certainly doesn’t spring back to a closed position. I think it would need to be manually operated - ie open it when the oven is in use. Is that the intent?
    Plus will it really be effective in letting steam escape? I tried running water through it with it in ‘open’ position but didn’t get anything coming through.

    Really appreciate opinions - I’m about to render the dome.
    My cast oven build thread

    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

    Comment


    • DavidS UtahBeehiver would really welcome your thoughts on my last post. Just uncertain as to whether I’ve got a suitable valve there and understanding how to use it.
      My cast oven build thread

      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

      Comment


      • I'm going to try something like this

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqBk...xyAKgeIHRwwP1w

        Comment


        • Perhaps a bit of 15mm pipe and one of these might work? https://www.screwfix.com/p/flowflex-...questid=479472

          Comment


          • Hey the pizza looks great!

            I've finally cast my dome today.

            How long did you wait from casting the dome to start insulating it?

            Did you keep it wrapped in cling flim to slow down the drying etc?

            Love you're black/purple front!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by aaronpizza View Post
              Hey the pizza looks great!

              I've finally cast my dome today.

              How long did you wait from casting the dome to start insulating it?

              Did you keep it wrapped in cling flim to slow down the drying etc?

              Love you're black/purple front!
              Thanks!!

              i waited almost a month in the end between casting and blanket going on and did keep plastic sheeting on the dome pretty much all that time. I think that definitely helped to slow the curing down.

              Good work on getting the casting done!
              My cast oven build thread

              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

              Comment


              • Do I need to patch this up?

                Just had a second phenomenal night of pizzas. The oven got screaming hot and the pizzas cooked in probably about 90 seconds so there doesn’t seem to be an issue in that sense but I’m getting concerned about whether the oven will last the years considering how many wrinkles, crevices and the odd gap there are.
                DavidS I’d really appreciate your opinion.

                i know it’s possible to make a putty and get in there but if it’s not necessary I’d rather not.

                What do you think?
                My cast oven build thread

                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

                Comment


                • Have they gotten worse since you had your first burn?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Robarb View Post
                    Have they gotten worse since you had your first burn?
                    I don’t think so to be honest - I think I’m just looking at them more!
                    My cast oven build thread

                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

                    Comment


                    • Haha! Paranoia sets in

                      I'm going to start my first curing fire tomorrow so i am yet to reach the paranoid stage.

                      Have you 'weatherproofed' yours, or are you still just going for the pergola cover? I was originally going to tile mine but i've seen some nice stone graffitti paint that me and my daughter will use to decorate it. Just means i need to find a waterproof additive for the final render

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Robarb View Post
                        Haha! Paranoia sets in

                        I'm going to start my first curing fire tomorrow so i am yet to reach the paranoid stage.

                        Have you 'weatherproofed' yours, or are you still just going for the pergola cover? I was originally going to tile mine but i've seen some nice stone graffitti paint that me and my daughter will use to decorate it. Just means i need to find a waterproof additive for the final render
                        So far I’ve only got as far as the scratch render coat and the temporary shelter is my weatherproofing. Prioritising the pergola now and then planning to do a finish render coat and apply some sealant or weatherproofing paint as last coat. Hoping it’ll be well protected under the pergola anyhow.
                        My cast oven build thread

                        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

                        Comment


                        • Looking good!

                          I read when you did your Flue fitting, how did it go?

                          I'm worried a ~100cm flue will wobble around?

                          So you cut some lips on your flue, then put that under the blanket, sat directly on the gallery and then v.crete all around it?
                          Did you leave some space to allow the metal to expand (I assume one would the fill this with a flexible seal (silicone?)

                          How secure is your flue? does it feel solid?

                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by aaronpizza View Post
                            Looking good!

                            I read when you did your Flue fitting, how did it go?

                            I'm worried a ~100cm flue will wobble around?

                            So you cut some lips on your flue, then put that under the blanket, sat directly on the gallery and then v.crete all around it?
                            Did you leave some space to allow the metal to expand (I assume one would the fill this with a flexible seal (silicone?)

                            How secure is your flue? does it feel solid?

                            Thanks!
                            Hiaaronpizza sorry I didn’t reply sooner - hope this is still useful - although I suspect you might have moved on with the weather being good yesterday.
                            I was worried too about the flue wobble. Rightly or wrongly I vermicreted right up to the flue on the basis the vcrete has more give to it - with my render coat I left the expansion gap. To be honest I was surprised how solid it seemed once the vcrete was done. If I had been leaving it for a while and it was windy I think I would have worried more about the flue. As it turned out I made the temporary shelter which was engineered to also help the flue stay in place with ‘guardrails’.

                            Good luck with yours.
                            My cast oven build thread

                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mullster View Post

                              Hiaaronpizza sorry I didn’t reply sooner - hope this is still useful - although I suspect you might have moved on with the weather being good yesterday.
                              I was worried too about the flue wobble. Rightly or wrongly I vermicreted right up to the flue on the basis the vcrete has more give to it - with my render coat I left the expansion gap. To be honest I was surprised how solid it seemed once the vcrete was done. If I had been leaving it for a while and it was windy I think I would have worried more about the flue. As it turned out I made the temporary shelter which was engineered to also help the flue stay in place with ‘guardrails’.

                              Good luck with yours.
                              Thanks for this, sadly I ran out of cement as I needed it for some home diy.

                              Hoping todo this on Wednesday!

                              I THINK, I'm going to let the inner wall fall inside the casting and flare the outside as you have.
                              Hopefully it will be stable haha.

                              Comment


                              • Making the glazed pergola for the oven to live in

                                So the last 2 months have been all about creating the pergola and glazing it so that we can enjoy the oven more often in the British weather!

                                I built a 6x3 metre wooden pergola and the glazing is polycarbonate sheeting (clear) with a cutout for the flue. There is also a high temperature flashing around the flue and sealed to the glazing - so the whole thing seems to be watertight.

                                Absolutely love the fact I don’t need to stress about the oven getting damp now and that over time I can apply finishing touches both to the oven (still haven’t done final render) and the pergola (cladding on the inside plus some other developments!)

                                Few pics
                                My cast oven build thread

                                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X