• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    Me too! If you have a latent 'artistic' side, you will enjoy the 'creation' process of designing your enclosure. After all, you won't see much of the oven when you are finished. It will become a real 'creation' as you, by some trial and some error, come to a final rendition.
    Lee,
    Unlike yourself I have No, as in none, artistic side to help me. Therefore I rely on my wife who is almost all artistic. I guess that is why we are a good match!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    ...snip....
    I know all to well the feeling of figure it out as you go!
    ...snip...
    Me too! If you have a latent 'artistic' side, you will enjoy the 'creation' process of designing your enclosure. After all, you won't see much of the oven when you are finished. It will become a real 'creation' as you, by some trial and some error, come to a final rendition.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    NINE WORDS WOMEN USE

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I am missing this page in the forno bravo pompeii instructions, thanks for posting it here.

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    I get the same, but I know she means "dick head"
    Yep Al, my wife confirms that statement!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

NINE WORDS WOMEN USE

(1) Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

(2) Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given
    five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

(3) Nothing: This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

(4) Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

(5) Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks
    you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to # 3 for the meaning of nothing.)

(6) That's Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a woman can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

(7) Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or faint. Just say you're welcome.. (This is true, unless she says 'Thanks a lot' - which is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say 'you're welcome' -- that will bring on a 'whatever'.)

(8) Whatever: Is a woman's way of saying F-- YOU!

(9) Don't worry about it, I've got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to
    do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking, 'What's wrong?' For the woman's response, refer to # 3.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post

My wife refers to me as a "character"
    I get the same, but I know she means "dick head"

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Killer patchwork, John. You now have a 'character line' to go with those gorgeous countertops!
    John
    Thanks, we'll see if it holds up this time. I will look for any more debris in between the hearth and dome bricks before I light it up again!

My wife refers to me as a "character" so I guess the oven is a match! lol

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
    The repair looks good - inside and out -although it's hard to see the outside!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have the outside design finalized. Generically it's going to be stucco on top and rock on the bottom with a granite ledge in front, but I'm still trying to figure it out the details.

Jeff
    If it wasn't for hurricane Irene I would have taken some pics after grinding and cleaning the outside, and then some pics as I patched. I just had to get all the potential flying objects out of the yard and hatches battened down.

I know all to well the feeling of figure it out as you go!
    As for the finish, I am continuing the block look all the way up to the roof. It is just the details of where to steel stud in relation to arch etc.
    Good luck with the stucco, I am staying away from that as my brain can only learn so much in one year, then it shuts down. The stucco class would put me over the limit!

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Killer patchwork, John. You now have a 'character line' to go with those gorgeous countertops!
    John

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

The repair looks good - inside and out -although it's hard to see the outside!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have the outside design finalized. Generically it's going to be stucco on top and rock on the bottom with a granite ledge in front, but I'm still trying to figure it out the details.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here are a couple of pics of the crack repair. I guess I'll have to wait a week or so to cure the repair and start oven curing all over again! I still have a ton of finish work to do which, from here on in I do not have a good plan. I have a plan, but it is more in general terms rather than drawn out on sketch up. I got a couple of huge pieces of marble for a counter top. It is 2 inches thick and came in two pieces, so I used two levels to extend across the pad. Hey for fifty bucks I couldn't pass it by!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by woodfried View Post
    Thats wierd the joint has moved on the rh side so much it looks like the 1st row brick has been removed and cut smaller or shrunk if you look at the perp joints relative to the soldiers before and after, while the lh joint remains the same Or was 1st pic taken whilst 1st course was laid out and not mortared . Anyway not the end of the world
    Cheers
    I added a pic with the next two courses mortared. The soldiers were mortared in the first pic.
    I did grind out on the outside and was able to remove mortar wedge between the two soliders. I then did as Brickie suggested, with the oven warm I put a slurry of heatstop in and then put in a wedge of firebrick which made the joint quite tight. I did the similar for the upper cracks although the mortar was not removed. I still had room for some small pieces of firebrick to insert. I then covered over the rest with the left over slurry. Today I went back inside the oven and filled in the gaps from the inside as the slurry did not make it all the way through from the outside. I used a premixed product that is tan in color and it seems to have a very sticky consistancy to it. It went on nicely and I wiped off the excess. I am a rather large person and to get in to reach the back with any sucess was a real feat by itself!
    I will start some curing fires again next week and will see what transpires.

Leave a comment:

• woodfried
    replied

Thats wierd the joint has moved on the rh side so much it looks like the 1st row brick has been removed and cut smaller or shrunk if you look at the perp joints relative to the soldiers before and after, while the lh joint remains the same Or was 1st pic taken whilst 1st course was laid out and not mortared . Anyway not the end of the world
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here are the side by side comparisons. I don't call this a crack, it is a fissure! I would think my gap was non-exsistent somewhere 90 perpendicular to the cracked area.
    You can see the first pic the soldiers are touching then the next pic there is an 1/8 to 3/16" gap - oh my!
    I am sure if you have a good gap between the hearth and the soldiers you will be fine. I did not and paid the price! Just beware of this pitfall.
    As for the floor expanding and the weight of the oven on the hearth not allowing it to expand, well something has got to either give or break! If the floor does not move then I would imagine spalling due to compression forces from the hearth bricks expanding would take place. If they did in fact expand under the dome bricks from the heat and expansion forces, what will move them back during the cooling cycle? Will they just hang out and you will have large gaps between hearth bricks? As I am well past this point I am asking for my own selfish knowledge and maybe someone else could benefit from it who hasn't set there hearth.
    Last pic is my wifes idea of taking a pic of a crack in the dome!
    Last edited by Aegis; 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

We are safe and sound here in southbury, using a borrowed generator for a couple of hours so this post will be the first and last till power is restored! I hope everyone else faired as well as we did, no trees in the living room and no indoor pool in the basement - Life is Good!
    Cheers All!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X