Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 28" Pompeii

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Thanks John. I just figured out how to use the search function for these threads and there was some good info to be found. It seems that grinding a V-cut into the crack and filling it with Fireplace Mortar has been done successfully...that, or just leave it alone. I also saw a quote attributed to James that went: "Embrace your cracks; Enjoy your pizza". Both solutions seem reasonable . Thanks again for your ever-prompt and encouraging replies...

gene
    Gene

When I read the account of your 'cracks', it was like Yogi Berra said, 'It's D?j? vu all over again'.

I understand your feelings completely. My cracks were/are significantly larger than yours. I could see light through the cracks.

I removed the additional mortar where my cracks were located on the outside of the dome and found a couple loose bricks. I patched the cracks with wet mortar.....It cracked again, and turned black with smoke.

After encouragement from experienced builders here, I concluded it was a natural expansion joint and I needed to move on and enjoy the oven. My bricks are tapered, so they won't fall out. However, I did use some mortar, applied with a caulking gun and cured with heat, to secure the loose bricks one last time -not to fill the the cracks as much as to bind the loose bricks -it worked, and I felt much better.

Then, I covered it with two layers of one inch ceramic insulation and then poured my enclosure full of vermiculite. No worries now, the oven performs as it should. :happy camper:

This is a long way to say you appear to be within normal limits with your cracks. Move on, and finish curing your oven.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lee. Your experience and feedback are encouraging; misery loves company ...or perhaps "been there; done that!" and you survived. My plan is to grind the cracks a bit and shoot in some mortar from the caulikng gun and forget it (best part). My bricks are also tapered so no fear of collapse. Still on schedule for September pizza.

gene

Comment

About the caulking. I used a one inch putty knife to fill the cracks and it seemed to get the caulking in there where it was needed. This is the post I made immediately after the project:

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
        The Dap ASTM E-136 rated High heat mortar in a tube -From HD or Lowe's- was easy to use and has plugged the cracks and stabilized the loose bricks with ease. I removed a lot of loose mortar, cleaned the areas between bricks with an ice pick and started a fire in the oven. After 30 minutes of fire in the oven, I caulked the cracks with the mortar and smoothed the outside with a putty knife. Max dome temp I measured was 950 F, then, I fed a smaller fire for three hours to cure the mortar.
        This morning, the cracks are filled, bricks stable....All seems OK.
        I would use this product again.
        A dozen fires to the 900 F level still had the bricks stable, then, I insulated it. HTH
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Thanks Lee. This product sounds more to my liking as it doesn't seem to require a 500F fire to properly cure it, as does the other product from Ace (it is unlikely the outside of my dome bricks would reach 500F without insulation covering them, and I don't want to cover the dome until the the cracks are addressed - catch 22). I'll pick some up today.
          Thanks again

gene

Comment

Yesterday I ground out the cracks in the dome and filled them with DAP high heat mortar, then cured it with a fire for several hours. This morning the mortar was very hard with no cracks. I wrapped the dome today with ceramic blanket and finished framing the enclosure. Hopefully tomorrow I can sheath the walls with Hardie board and fill in the empty space with pearlite (my local masonry supplier carried it. Thanks Lee and Chip)...

Comment

Looks very nice I like the front overhang.

Keep up the great work.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Your repair looks good to me
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

A little more progress to report. I sheathed the enclosure with hardie board and back-filled it with pearlite. The pearlite was a bit finer than I expected, but the price was right at about $12 per 4 cubic ft bag. It took 5 of them. The soffit is tongue-and-grove attached with pocket screws. I like the way they stand out from the wood. The metal roof is vented at the ridge to allow some air flow and will be complete as soon as I wrap the chimney with a storm collar. I need to keep setting the cultured stone and pour a countertop. The end is in sight .

Comment

Gene,

I am not sure if somebody else has asked you this so I am sorry if I am repeating something already asked but...I noticed that you have a tree not too far away from your oven. Are you worried about that or did I miss a thread somewhere that spoke to this? I have several trees in my backyard that I am concerned about building near but if it is the general consensus that it should be fine I will keep some of those areas in mind. Your (and anybody else's) input is greatly appreciated.

Nate
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Nate,

The tree was originally a concern when I began construction, but I have since borrowed a pruning saw from a neighbor and cut the limbs back to at least 10 feet from the chimney, so it shouldn't be a problem. Any smoke should be quite cool before it reaches the tree. I also added a spark arrestor to my chimney cap...

gene

Comment

Hey Gene,

Thanks for the reply. I figured you must have done something but I thought I would ask to make sure. I haven't even considered the spark arrestor so I will have to look into that one. Again, thanks for the reply and info.

Nate
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Nearly completed facade...I added the countertop yesterday. The outer brick arch and 2 coats of stucco remain.

Comment

Beautiful work!

This forum is a wealth of information, and VERY addicting!!! So happy I found it... I was going to build a barrel oven...

Curious about your concrete countertops... is that a black tint? Any special aggregate? What was your finishing/polishing process? What was your source of info/knowledge to do the countertops? I plan on doing that with my WFO... once it starts next spring... I have my base built & hope to get the hearth slab poured before it gets too cold here in Ohio.

Comment

Great Job! I am so jealous you are almost finished and I am struggling to get the roof done before snow fall! lol Beautiful arches on both the oven and storage area. Nice touch with using bricks to face off the storage area. Counter tops make a perfect compliment to your entire project!
                              Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
                              Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                              Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                              Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Thanks Aegis, but according to your thread, you've already had a pizza party, which technically puts you farther ahead in the process than I .... My upper arch and brown and finish coats will have to wait for spring, as freezing weather is in the forecast...missed it by that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X