Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

Jim,

So this is the new HF saw model..........one thing I notice, if you still have the water pump in the water tray, take it out and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with fresh water. All that cutting will ruin the pump in short order. Save you some anguish.......good luck with the build.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell makes a good point with the 5-gal bucket. A second bucket placed below your tray will make a nice reservoir for water to replace your input bucket, especially the next morning after all of the brick dust has settled to the bottom.

On the HF saw, try to keep the jets clean (I ran a wire up into them periodically) since diminished water pressure shortens the life of your blades. Periodically running your pump for a few minutes in a sink full of warm water also helps flush it out and extends its life.

Keep going on your build. At the rate I'm going we may finish our builds at the same time.

Comment

In addition to the bucket, get a tupperware container a little bigger than the pump, put the pump in it, and wrap the tupperware in a small towel and tiewrap it around hose and cord. This keeps all the gunk out of the pump and your saw, and when you refill the 5 gallon bucket just wash off the towel.

Comment

Jim - your hearth looks pretty good to me. Certainly not what I was expecting from your comments! I think you've got all the skills you need.

I can't believe how clean that tile saw is. Give it a couple weeks, it'll look like it's been in the sahara for 100 years. The bucket trick works for the pump, but worst case - they sell replacments for about $10 at HF. I used mine in the tray and never had a problem. My only trouble with the saw was that I think the tray was invented by satan. Impossible to clean with all those nooks and crannies. Meh.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yikes! Never knew there was so much to know about a saw pump. That's why this forum is so awesome. When I read these posts, I was sure the pump was still in the water since Sunday, and was worried, as I didn't get home until 9PM tonight. Went to the saw when I got home, and I'm proud to say I had taken it out after working yesterday.
            Here's mine:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Comment

I finally found affordable LOCAL cal sil!!! IIG Super Caltemp? Gold 1700. I can put 4" under my dome. Shout out to Gianni for helping/encouraging me with that.

Only question is if I put it under the vent, which will require purchasing another box. Maybe I'll use insulating fire bricks for that. Not sure. I'll punt that decision down the road for a while.

Can't wait to cut some more bricks this weekend. Horrible thing about this obsession is that I kinda wish my bro and his family weren't visiting this weekend so I'd have more build time. (Bro, if you see this, I swear I love you and your kids dearly, and love it when you stay with us. Build a WFO and you'll understand.)
              Here's mine:

Comment

Bro, I had a great time with you, my sis-in-law, and your awesome kids this weekend. But I still couldn't wait to get back to the bricks. To make it worse, I had to visit with friends of my in-laws today. They're also great people, but I was daydreaming about the bricks with them, too. This WFO building disease makes you antisocial. But I'll make it up with great pizza parties and delivered gifts of bread and 'za.

Got my floor cut! Wasn't as hard as I thought to cut it somewhat accurately for a nice curve. Love my new HF saw! Thanks to Les for talking (or rather, replying) me into it.

I think I'll make a thermal break between the oven floor and entry landing. So I'll cut 20" straight across the bottom, pull the entry floor bricks back about 1/2". When I figure out the flared vent (later), I'll put down the vent floor. I want to continue the herringbone all the way out.

-What can I use to insulate b/w the dome floor and entry landing floor for the 1/2" thermal break? I'm sure I saw the answer on other threads, but of course didn't take notes.

Next I'll pick up my cal sil, cut it, then lay down the floor. But I just thought of something to worry about: problem with putting the dome around the floor, is there's more lb/sq inch on the cal sil under the dome bricks. If the dome were on top of the floor, the weight would be more spread out.

-Anyone have problems with settling of cal sil and dome cracking? I plan to use 4".

Not too long I'll get my dome on! (I'm going to copyright that. I can picture 'Get your dome on' t-shirts.)
                Here's mine:

Comment

Nice job on cutting the floor. I used 1.5" of Casi over 2" od FoamGlas and have had no issues so far with settling.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
                    Bro, I had a great time with you, my sis-in-law, and your awesome kids this weekend. But I still couldn't wait to get back to the bricks. To make it worse, I had to visit with friends of my in-laws today. They're also great people, but I was daydreaming about the bricks with them, too. This WFO building disease makes you antisocial. But I'll make it up with great pizza parties and delivered gifts of bread and 'za.

Got my floor cut! Wasn't as hard as I thought to cut it somewhat accurately for a nice curve. Love my new HF saw! Thanks to Les for talking (or rather, replying) me into it.

I think I'll make a thermal break between the oven floor and entry landing. So I'll cut 20" straight across the bottom, pull the entry floor bricks back about 1/2". When I figure out the flared vent (later), I'll put down the vent floor. I want to continue the herringbone all the way out.

-What can I use to insulate b/w the dome floor and entry landing floor for the 1/2" thermal break? I'm sure I saw the answer on other threads, but of course didn't take notes.

Next I'll pick up my cal sil, cut it, then lay down the floor. But I just thought of something to worry about: problem with putting the dome around the floor, is there's more lb/sq inch on the cal sil under the dome bricks. If the dome were on top of the floor, the weight would be more spread out.

-Anyone have problems with settling of cal sil and dome cracking? I plan to use 4".

Not too long I'll get my dome on! (I'm going to copyright that. I can picture 'Get your dome on' t-shirts.)
                    You got "brick dust fever" enjoy your build!
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Nooooo!!!

I called to place my order for IIG Super Caltemp Gold 1700cal sil, which was rated at 1700deg F, and they said they had given me the wrong product info. They only have IIG Thermo 12 Gold, rated at 1200 deg F. It also has lower density - 14.5 lb/ft3. Would this still be useable?
                      Here's mine:

Comment

Great forum all, I've learned a _lot_ here in the past 2 weeks. My oven has moved well beyond a vague concept.....FB Late Nights!

I'm close to excavation, planning a 42" pompeii here in Maryland. Those of you who are mid project or enjoying delicious pizza, bread and chicken have been here. Anticipation, excitement, questions.....

[QUOTE=Cheesehead;113827] I've spent as much time trying to figure out why my ancient table saw isn't working as time cutting bricks. ...

..Lightbulb here!! Cheesehead, are you cutting firebrick with a table saw? You mean I can save $250 and not buy a brick saw at HF?

I suppose a good 10" masonry blade on my 'ancient table saw' and a 'sled' will do the trick?

Tomweb
                        Tweb

Comment

Jim, I wish you were closer to Michigan, I would help ya.

Comment

Okay. After a couple hours of being severely bummed, I found equally cheap IIG super caltemp gold 1700, including delivery. I'm getting 36sq ft of 1.5" thick. So I can put 2 layers to make 3" under the dome. Anyone think it's worth getting a second box? I could then add another 1.5" to make it 4.5" or even still have enough to make it 6" thick. Is this question a sign that I'm too far deep into this?
                            Last edited by jimkramer; 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM. Reason: typos
                            Here's mine:

Comment

Jim,
                              Based on specs, either board will work, since the outside of a fully loaded oven won't get to even 1000F. 4.5" with enough left over for a door sounds really practical.
                              John

Comment

Nice work on the floor! Real clean cuts. The HF saw makes life so much easier. Totally get the obsession, I worked every waking hour, my wife thinks I am nuts, although she cheered when I finished (maybe a sigh of relief. Have fun!
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Working...
                                X