Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Boilermaking was my second apprenticeship that I took on at 25 years old, now Im back at it again as I hit the use by date in bricklaying.

Before you start to weld spray the entire surface down with diluted dish washing detergent from a spray bottle.

Then try
    Either turning the amps up or the wire speed down to reduce spatter .

Push the weld puddle away from the weld also helps a lot (the spatter flies off into space rather than landing on the work piece), if you pull the weld puddle the wire hits the weld and sprays everywhere.
    Thanks, I will try both of those for the work I need to do today.

Some of the fence around the pool rusted off at the concrete deck after 45 years and I am re-slieving the posts to give it new life. I have it cut off and the holes redrilled so today welding and priming again.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM.
    Chip

Comment

Brickie, Learn something new everyday. Will have to remember the dish soap trick to help with the splatter.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nice work with the railing Chip.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Stonecutter, I will post more photos of the area once welding and painting is done.
          Chip

Comment

:wow, did you cold twist all those posts too>
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              :wow, did you cold twist all those posts too>
              No, the twists were part if the existing old fence, I sliced and diced it to get the fence and gate at the top Of the stairs, and the verticals on the curved railing. The newel post at the start of the stairs was from an architectural salvage company here in Minnesota.

Still lots of work for me but much cheaper than hiring it done by a pro wrought iron shop. Just the stair rail was quoted at almost $1800.00 plus tax. So by doing it myself i saved quite a bit.

I was able to salvage most of the metal and am only out about $100 in steel and $50 in welding supplies, grinding disks and cutting wheels. The newel post cost $47.00. So about $200.00 total.

All the fence you see in this photo was either repositioned by slicing and dicing or built new from cutting up old fence and welding it into new positions, slopes and shapes. That stuff is really heavy to deal with but I think it turned out nice.
              Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Brickie, Learn something new everyday. Will have to remember the dish soap trick to help with the splatter.
                You can buy propriety anti spatter in a spray bottle from your weld shop, but the good old detergent works just as good.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thought I would post an after painting the new railing, Beauty Shot. Well except for the dead grass from the dog....

House is on the left, top of the stairs is the sunroom (party room) next to the pool and the second level to the garage, sauna is underground behind the oven at the deep end of the pool.
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 08-17-2013, 11:26 AM.
                  Chip

Comment

very nice

you should be cooking! That hot dog bun post still has me hungry.

texman
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Purdy..........
                      Russell

Comment

First red San Marzano came off the vine this evening. SWMBO took it off the vine and sliced it before I got an on the plant photo.
                        Chip

Comment

Mr. C, nothing like a vine ripen tomato. I am going to use my meager production tomorrow for a little pizza party with friends. Preparing for a big neighborhood one coming in a couple weeks. This is to pay back the all of my neighbors for the noise and dust I made while building the WFO. BTW, the final stair rail product is very nice.
                          Russell

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                            Thought I would post an after painting the new railing, Beauty Shot.
                            I think I preferred the white. It's a pity to camouflage the decorative effects.If you paint it black you lose all the subtle shadowing effects from the twists, but each to his own.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              I think I preferred the white. It's a pity to camouflage the decorative effects.If you paint it black you lose all the subtle shadowing effects from the twists, but each to his own.
                              It is actualy brown to match all of the trim on the oven and the house. But I see your point. The white primer did look nice.

Thanks for the complements on the beauty shots UB, DS,Tex
                              Chip

Comment

Again, looks good...since we all are giving our .02, I'll say I'm glad you painted it brown...IMO, the white jumps out too much and over powered the stairs.

But you know what they say about opinions.

Anyway, it really finished off the whole area.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X