Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Glad to see your enjoying your oven. I've been enjoying mine also.

Did you finish your stucco yet? Hope to start my stucco process soon. I been doing some research on the process. Attached is article on best practices if you are interested it was quite a eye opener for me glad I read it before I attempted anything. I hope your still in the planning process.

Too big to post the pdf file here's a link http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nibs.or..._011_WB4-2.pdf
    Great info, thanks
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

I got the metal roofing started last month with the help from a friend who is a roofer by trade. Still need to get the coil and break to bend a custom fascia, but i no longer need to tarp this thing (minus the drop cloth i use to weatherproof where the fascia should be)! MAJOR milestone in my book.

I've added the storm collar and caulking since these pictures were taken. Got the temporary concrete board door built as well.

To do list:
      fascia
      decorative brick arch
      stucco
      a real door

Sooooo close now!
      Last edited by cloita; 12-09-2013, 11:48 AM.
      - Jonathan

Comment

What was your decision on the stucco? I hemmed and hawed about doing it myself but finally went ahead - and I was surprised at how easy it was. I definitely would say you have the skills. Just use a tar paper + lath over your cement board. Goes on really easily and you probably have all the tools you need except maybe a rubber float. I did mine in 3 days - just to give dry time for each coat. I probably only spent 60-90 minutes for each coat.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Extremely temporary door:

- Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            What was your decision on the stucco? I hemmed and hawed about doing it myself but finally went ahead - and I was surprised at how easy it was. I definitely would say you have the skills. Just use a tar paper + lath over your cement board. Goes on really easily and you probably have all the tools you need except maybe a rubber float. I did mine in 3 days - just to give dry time for each coat. I probably only spent 60-90 minutes for each coat.
            i did some reading along with the info from this thread and just decided to give it a shot in the spring when we're out of the midwest freeze. Good to know it is only 60-90 minutes per coat.
            - Jonathan

Comment

What you are seeing is effouresence. Try to keep the dome dry, salt and minerals coming out of the brick. I am a bricklayer , for 40 years. This happens with walls that are not covered before completion.

Comment

Thanks. I have a roof over it this winter instead of a few tarps!
                - Jonathan

Comment

Wondering where you purchased your firebrick and insulation, board and batt, And the most important , price. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Those supplies came from VJ Mattson in Mokena, IL. I'll see if I can dig up the receipts, can't remember off the top of my head.

V J Mattson Co

http://goo.gl/maps/Mh8zV
                    - Jonathan

Comment

Thanks you

Comment

Got the roof fascia finished a few weekends ago, still need to get up there with some caulk to seal it up proper:

- Jonathan

Comment

Started on my landing and decorative arch, got a "slight" boo-boo (beware, link is a little gory) from a falling piece of granite but I got patched up pretty painlessly. Worst part was not being able to hit the trails on my bike for 10 days!

I bought a slab of granite and plan to use it as the initial landing in my opening along with some brown brick to frame out the decorative arch. I'm extremely satisfied with the color matches between the brick, granite, and firebrick.

Mock up of the landing, need to get a brown brick picture to show the plan still:

Stacked two studs/channels then added cement board, this plus mortar and the slab is at the exact right height:

I'd like to have the granite slab go from metal stud to metal stud as shown in the first picture then have the decorative brick arch rest directly on it. The question I've been unable to find an answer for is: Can I mortar brick directly to a granite surface? Do I rough up the granite surface and risk breaking the slab? Do I drop the brick down to the cement board and fit the granite slab in between the brick? I'd like to shy away from dropping the brick down to the cement board because it would help hold the granite slab in nicely. Any input would be appreciated!
                          - Jonathan

Comment

Maybe an adhesive?
                            - Jonathan

Comment

Perhaps hi-temp caulk...that and gravity ought to hold it.

Comment

Going with the adhesive route for the granite-to-brick bonding it looks like.

Got the granite slab cut and the floor squared up (my oven is about 2? off centered so the front isn't quite square). Right edge was a near perfect cut, left has a bit of a gap. Time to figure out how to route the edge and polish granite...

- Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X