Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Started tapering the bricks wider at the bottom and slimmer at the top to minimize the joints on the inside. Using the cut offs as fillers for the outside joints to use less mortar.

Comment

Nice lookin oven. Be careful of your vertical joints an the inside so they don't line up. And I would say yes you need to use gloves and Glasses when using the grinder, you never know what it is going to do (especially us guys that don't know how to use them).

Keep it up.

Mike

Comment

I was staggering the joint at the beginning of a chain but since each chain gets smaller in diameter the joints tend to line up towards the middle and then stagger again around the bend. Since tapering it does get a bit easier to stagger. Speaking of googles, got a tiny piece of firebrick in my eye yesterday from the wet saw. Had to flush it and remove it by hand as it got inside the eye lid. Will try to keep the goggles by the saw on the next run.

Comment

Yea I know, when the joints start to get too close you have to put a smaller brick in there to prevent that problem. It will only get more complicated from here, sorry. It is very important to keep the joints from lining up (that is where your oven can crack, with the joints lining up). Good Luck

Mike

Comment

Had a full house renovation to do for someone and it took 10 days so had no time to touch the oven. Will get back on it this week.

Comment

Got in a few hours today and got some more chains done. Thinking of going with a sand form to continue from here. Takes too long with waiting for a brick to set instead of moving right along.

Comment

I would avoid the sand method if your already this far.
                It's hard to keep the inside clean and flush if you can't see
                It. Grab some bits of wood and cut to length. Prop up the bricks temporarily?

Comment

You mean use the indispensible tool just to measure for the right distance and then use a wood shim to hold it? That's how I've been doing it thus far but such a pain moving them around without knocking others out by accident. It is only getting harder and taking longer to set as they get more vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC View Post
                    You mean use the indispensible tool just to measure for the right distance and then use a wood shim to hold it? That's how I've been doing it thus far but such a pain moving them around without knocking others out by accident. It is only getting harder and taking longer to set as they get more vertical.
                    I always started at the back and put in four bricks to the right and then (since I am really slow) went to the other side and put in four more to the left. I used 1x1 10" sticks to hold up the bricks while they set. To get them taller as I went up I used some loose bricks under the sticks. Back and forth like that allowed the mortar to set enough so I wasn't repositioning bricks more than I was putting them on. I got to the last chain and keystone(top plug) and then used a ball inside to hold them all in place at once. Let them set and took the ball out and had my wife go in to clean off the mortar. What a woman!
                    Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                    Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                    Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

• Re: May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Getting tougher to set now.

Comment

Haven't had time to touch it but today I decided to spend some time and close the dome. Next is interior grouting and chimney.

Comment

A man after my own heart, just getting it done without being too fussy about appearances...
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Just yesterday I was wondering how your project was faring.....You are going to like it! I do too
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Did some grouting and grinding today. One problem. I was inside and ran out of heatstop and yelled to my brother to mix a batch and pass it in and he mixed me portland with water and I didn't know and grouted half the inside with it.

Will I have issues?

Comment

Portland and water will simply crumble and fall out over time.. portland wont withstand the heat and fails/falls apart.

Sorry

looking good though! how much did you use?

Comment

Working...
                                X