• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    If its alloy use a circular saw with tungsten blade, you could always hunt down a laser cutting business and get one cut, the cost to get one cut would be minimal.
    Thanks brickie that's given me a start.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    If its alloy use a circular saw with tungsten blade, you could always hunt down a laser cutting business and get one cut, the cost to get one cut would be minimal.
    Not where I live, they charge top dollar, then multiply by two, but you have to support the local guys.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Not big in the metal dept any ideas how to cut slots into a plane metal peel to convert it?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I fought every type of peel, but when I bought the slotted one, all the problems went away. You can flour the crap out of it, then give it a few shakes on the way to the oven, and all the excess flour drops away and the pizza does not stick at all.
    Tscar
    I heard you talk about this peel before ....I would love one but forno Australia doesn't have any tools. Not big in the metal dept any ideas how to cut slots into a plane metal peel to convert it?
    Regards dave

Gulf
    Those are good looking peels I have a compressed bamboo peel as well ( store bought) and I find it better than a metal peel for getting a pizza into the oven. Aluminum for moving and getting them out. The handles on all my tools have been trimmed back over time. They ended up shorter than you would think

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Creative, going to watch if you slot or not.

Just fired up the oven tonight for the first time this year for a family party. Cook 24 pies and the cf and perlcrete is really keeping the heat in.
    Glad to hear you are unwrapped and back up and running.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I fought every type of peel, but when I bought the slotted one, all the problems went away. You can flour the crap out of it, then give it a few shakes on the way to the oven, and all the excess flour drops away and the pizza does not stick at all.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Creative, going to watch if you slot or not.

Just fired up the oven tonight for the first time this year for a family party. Cook 24 pies and the cf and perlcrete is really keeping the heat in.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.
    If it is made out of wood, I have the "capacity". Can you elaborate ? .........On second thought,I've seen the metal slotted peels.

I think ,that I could do that with the wooden peel, if you think that would work,

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I took a little time away from brick ,other than cutting the fire brick for the very last heat break. That being between the entry and the landing.

I had to spend a little time on the yard this weekend, but managed to work on some oven tools. I found these bamboo
    cutting boards at "Walley World".

I cut and notched them to fit the spacing sticks that I mentioned earlier. The oak sticks are used to space hardwood lumber in a kiln numerous times before they are discarded.

They ended up with a payload of 11" X 12 ".

The handles may be a little long but they will allow me to cut them down as I see fit, with some experience.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks ya'll, very much!

V-wiz, They are mostly face cut flooring splits from old brick . I got 3 cuts from each whole face brick.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Looks great. I may have missed it but what stone is that?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

. Really nice Gulf, a very unique look. I agree that there is always something else to do when the current version looks great to others but not perfect to the originator, or in your case ARTIST...

Chip

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

You got me green there, Gulf. Looks very good, professional even. Progress has stopped on mine, late work days and full weekends with no end in sight.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.
    Thank's Kurt,
    They are relatively easy to apply, if the surface that they are applied to is uniform. I took a few extra pains to get the dome fairly close to being a true sphere with the revolving vcrete form before applying the stucco base.
    Even then, I did notice where a few small humps and low spots in the stucco layer required a little adjusting with the amount of "butter" from the 3/8" notched trial. Some times it took a thicker or thinner brick to make up the difference.

I love the look of a brick finished pompeii oven. I'm looking forward to see your finished dome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X