• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Gudday Gulf
    I am continually amazed by your patience......I had to flash mine up before the insulation went on . and I was worried that the thing would crumble and break
    I am pretty sure you'll have no such worries and that first pizza will taste sooo.....good

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Who Dey? Are we going back to the aints days?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

and the vcrete..........I'm guess about R50 rating

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

You won't have any heat getting past 3" of CF blanket. the surface will be ambient temperature.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Those seashells will be cool. Umm the maiden voyage of the Mississippi Queen............

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    A fine looking dome! I am curious as to whether the metal in the fabric will heat up and expand such that it might cause cracks rather than prevent them...though since your wire fabric is outside of the insulation the heat reaching it will probably be minimal. Have you fired your dome to pizza temp and measured the exterior temperature?

gene
    You are right about the metal being outside the insulation, There is a minimum of 3" of fibre blanket under the vcrete. I hope that heat radiating to the wire is not a factor. I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't fired it yet. I was waiting on a long weekend with cool weather. I plan to use Karangi Dude's method of (heat beads) "charcoal brickettes". I plan to set up with it or at least set the alarm clock to keep it going that whole weekend. I believe this coming weekend is the one

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks Russell,
    It takes patience, but it is was a heck of a lot of fun . After setting the forms to the side, I cut some seashells for the counters. I've see them on some of the youtube videos, but did not know how to do it. I clamped a taller guide to my tile saw and started cutting these 3/8" cross sections.

It might work on larger shells with the HF saw, but I would be afraid , (very afraid) .
    I am still planning on using some colored glass.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Holy @$$&*, your form work is so detailed and complex. Gonna be nice..........BTW nice wire work on dome for stucco.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

With Aidan, Tracey, and Russell completing there polished concrete counters, I just had to spend a little time on mine today. This is what I came up with for my counter.

It is not what I origionally envisioned, but I think that it will look ok.
    Here is the whole "mess" of counters, mantles, and ledges almost ready for concrete.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

A fine looking dome! I am curious as to whether the metal in the fabric will heat up and expand such that it might cause cracks rather than prevent them...though since your wire fabric is outside of the insulation the heat reaching it will probably be minimal. Have you fired your dome to pizza temp and measured the exterior temperature?

gene

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I painted the stand with DryLock. I'm still wating on a cheap source of washed gravel for the french drain.

I also painted the inside of the wood (tool) storage with one coat of this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

It's been kind of "hit and miss" lately, working on the oven. Weather, Work, and other resposibilities have limited my time. In the last few weeks, I have installed a layer of 1/2" construction cloth over the vcrete layer of the dome.

I installed it with 3/8" spacers to help it "ride" in the middle of the stucco layer. That is what I have see done on the flat walls of houses, to reduce cracking, and hope that it works on this complex curve as well. Spacers are usually nailed in on flat surfaces. I had to resort to 1 and 1/2" roofing screws. Nails don't hold very well in vcrete. To releive the pressure on fitting the dome I started out by wrapping one pass of wire (24") high around the the full circumfrance at the base of the dome. I used the natural curve of the wire to my advantage. Using the spacers and the screws, I attached it securely at the base. I then slit the wire @ about 1 foot centers down to the where the curve flattend out on my dome. That is about 4 to 6 inches. This worked great to fit the wire. On the splices of this run, I added a 2" piece of wire to overlap splices.
    For the next two runs I cut the wire into wedge shapes.

The wedges were 12" at the bottom and 8" at the top. I just overlapped the wire about 2" for the next two runs, with a small cap of wire for the top (slit where needed).
    I intend to work the stucco around the screws, remove them after the first layer is simi set and then fill in the areas where the screws were. I will wait until after curing to add this layer of cladding. The low humidity of this fall weather should help also.
    I will be attaching brick spilts to this layer of cladding later.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Good to hear that you and yours in New Orleans made it through. The surrounding region sounds like it was battered. Our prayers are with them as well.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    well thats great news!

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
    I am all good. Thanks for the prayer.
    Who DAT?
    That is great! news ! Maybe, "Bounty Season" will take the edge off again .
    You Dat! .........I Dat! .......... We Dat! .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X