• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
    Hi Joe,
    Joe, can I ask what is the material that you are using and what are the tints used to get those colors and how does the dark slurry stick?
    Doug,
    I am very sorry for not catching this question in your post . I was going over the last couple of pages on my thread and evidently just read your post all the way through.

I am using white portland cement and all purpose sand for the pour. 1 part portland and 2 parts sand. The few rocks that are in this sand go up to only about 1/8" in size.

The Yellow color comes from a dry tint that I bought about 10 years ago from a salvage store. It was made by Bonsal Cement Colors.

All of the other tints that I used are liquid tints from Quikrete. The darker reddish brown is called terra cotta, the lighter is called buff, and the dark tint is called charcoal.

As for what makes the dark slurry stick: I am using a concrete bonding adhesive & acrylic fortifier made by Sika. I am using it per it's manufactures directions in place of water in the pour. It is a liquid and comes in 1 gallon containers and of course, I am sure that it is mostly water. It is supposed to help out with bonding and water proofing.

I did a real pour today on some some of the less obvious shelves at the top and back of the oven. In this pour, I added a few prefilled sea shell splilts and also a few pieces of glass. I hope it turns out OK . Either way, it will be a learning experience for the more obvious mantle and landing counters.

Joe
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    If you are mixing your own, try and find some marble dust. It adds a nice luster and waterproofs the concrete. You can sub up to 1/2 the sand aggregate with it. It is used for pool plaster as a rule, but most pre-mix countertop mixes include it (as does Thoroseal).
    Thank's TScarborough,
    I'm not sure where localy that I can find it. There are a couple of monument places near by. I've got at least another week before I can do another trial pour. I will see if I can locate some.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you are mixing your own, try and find some marble dust. It adds a nice luster and waterproofs the concrete. You can sub up to 1/2 the sand aggregate with it. It is used for pool plaster as a rule, but most pre-mix countertop mixes include it (as does Thoroseal).

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Me too, as a rule, but for concrete counter tops, I like a more natural look, like these:
    That is just what my wife wants for her kitchen counters . For the Queen (not my wife) I am trying to tie her into my overall back yard theme "Margaritaville" . A gulf of mexico/carribean look .

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you are making it yourself, then use grey portland, not white (unless you want bright, pure colors).

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Me too, as a rule, but for concrete counter tops, I like a more natural look, like these:

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

You can put the fibers in your countertops too, they help a lot. They do not get all furry like they used to when they were glass. I assume you are using a Buddy Rhodes white pre-mix? Most pigments are formulated for grey cement, so using them in white makes them very bright. You can either reduce the quantity of pigment (which goes pastel) or add a brown, either reddish or green as a toner.

Those samples look great, but I will disagree with David and say that the slurry mix should be lighter and closer in color to one of the field colors.
    Thank's TScar,
    I am incorporating a couple of styles. But, I am using a "home brew" of white portland and all purpose sand. I just don't want to pay shipping on something that I haven't tried for myself. I intend to play with the colors, seams, and the slurry pore filler on a couple of more trial pours. I already have the ladder wire for my counters. My hearth and mantle pieces probably wont need much more help due to their size. But I will definately keep the fibers in mind for the outdoor and her kitchen counter pours .

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

You can put the fibers in your countertops too, they help a lot. They do not get all furry like they used to when they were glass. I assume you are using a Buddy Rhodes white pre-mix? Most pigments are formulated for grey cement, so using them in white makes them very bright. You can either reduce the quantity of pigment (which goes pastel) or add a brown, either reddish or green as a toner.

Those samples look great, but I will disagree with David and say that the slurry mix should be lighter and closer in color to one of the field colors.
    Each to his own, Tom. I live in the tropics and we like strong colours and contrast. When I go "home" to my birthplace, Melbourne, some 2500 Km south, I'm struck with how dull everything is, grey buildings, grey suits, grey skies and very little colour in the clothing or the homes in which people live. I think taste in these matters has a lot to do with climate. Hawaiian shirts for me.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
    Hi Joe,

I really like where your heading with those samples they look great, also like the leaves they look like fossils.
    Joe, can I ask what is the material that you are using and what are the tints used to get those colors and how does the dark slurry stick?
    Thank's Doug,
    I was looking for the fossil look. I have the shells and leaves figured out, I'm still working on the fish .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Gulf,
    Liking the fern imprints, attractive is what they say, "eye of the beholder". Interested in what follows on the fibers in stucco.
    Thank's Russell,

The fibers in stucco will have to wait for someone else to try, it is too late for me . Though, we may have to wait a little longer until it meets the "best practices" coefficient .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,
    Liking the fern imprints, attractive is what they say, "eye of the beholder". Interested in what follows on the fibers in stucco.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.
    Thank's David,
    Sorry about the double post. I have tried three times to delete that second sob.
    I plan to make two more sample pours. I am hoping to get a little more believable earth tone colors, a little better job on the veining, and also a darker slurry fill. I hope .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.
    Very good point David,
    Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers. But, I already had my wire in place .

Last edited by Gulf; 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM. Reason: multiple post

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X