X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

It will be a few weeks before I can actually work on The Mississippi Queen again. Work calls . I was able to get off early enough the last two arternoons though to hatchet clean 148 more old brick. I hauled them this evening from under the hill to dry in the shed near the build. Probably about 3 and a half hours work total.

I don't know what old brick go for nowadays. I haven't had the need to do so in about 30+ years, but it feels good to reclaim and save a buck or two .

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

I'm honoured Gulf - I like Emmy Lou but i wouldn't say a big fan. I just loved that on The Last Waltz. Didn't realize until i looked it up that it is a Robbie Rodertson song.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Lord knows I have heard that song by dozens of singers, but EL does it well.
    I heard that T,
    And I also heard her version about 100 times today in my head. So much so that I will have to Welch on the name. Mississippi Queen it is. I figure that since it is not finished, it is technically not born so I can still change its name .
    Thank's Amac,
    I'll credit you with naming my oven from the "Old Country"
    I'll leave The Crescent Lady for who ever is from the "real deal" .
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-07-2012, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Lord knows I have heard that song by dozens of singers, but EL does it well.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    Nice work Gulf - I would have gone for "The Mississipi Queen"
    Emmylou Harris - Evangeline (Audio) - YouTube
    That was definately my second choice and it was very close. It is just that even before I broke dirt I knew that it was going to be a "New Orleans" theme for this build . If I had of chosen Mississippi Queen I would have used this one by Mountain.

Edit: I should have added this.

Amac,
    I haven't heard Evangeline in a long time. It was great to listen to it again. Thank's.
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

The Crescent Lady.
    Nice work Gulf - I would have gone for "The Mississipi Queen"
    Emmylou Harris - Evangeline (Audio) - YouTube
    Last edited by Amac; 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thank's ya'll very much,
    With that encouragement, which I really needed after what has turned into being a little more "time" investment than I thought it would be, I hope to get back to work on The Crescent Lady.

I have given Tu long enough to name his "mistress"

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Whoa.. that's just gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

This build has turned into an epic main feature.....well done with the build.....

Leave a comment:

• Gary Mots
    replied

Gulf, what a great job you have done, looking beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    6 to 1 perlcrete has enough compressive strength to support the chimney, plus it insulates. That is how I carried the load. I like yours though, I appreciate intricacy.
    Thank's T,
    Since I think that I have addressed most of the load bearing I will will consider lightening up on the V-Crete to increase the insuation factor.
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM. Reason: grammer

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I saw this basic concept on this forum somewhere but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again.

The vermicrete guage is not set to height in this pic that I took while trial fitting. It is cut for a 7" clearance. 3" for the Ceramic Fiber and 4" of V-Crete.
    I made a cradle for the support pipe to set in on top of the dome out of mortar.

The socket in the pic is the same diameter of the 5/8" support rod which also anchors to the roof over. I removed it just before the mortar completely set.
    I will take the guage down to place the ceramic fiber. There will be a small hole in the fiber to patch and a little more cladding at the very apex to be left in place.
    Where I work will start it's anual "outage" this week and I will not be able to work on the dome for about a month. There goes the "spring" deadline .

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

6 to 1 perlcrete has enough compressive strength to support the chimney, plus it insulates. That is how I carried the load. I like yours though, I appreciate intricacy.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

This is view of the back and how I intend to transfer the weight.

It is hard to tell from this pic but there is 7/8" of clearance between the lintel and the firebrick. I am thinking about setting up the tablesaw outside and ripping some CalSil to put between the two.

I will cut and place a form from the brick to the edge of heatbreak ring. The void will be poured with vermicrete. It will then tie in to the 4" of vermicrete which will be poured on top of the 3" of ceramic fiber for the dome.
    This area will be faced with the same treatment as the dome. That to be revealed later .
    Also, the piss poor bond at the bottom will be hidden by an outside row of brick and a concrete ledge .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Here are the correct ones:

A loss of a week and 2 sacks of sakcrete .
    This is the how it turned out:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X