X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

I layed the face brick up to a point where I could clear the fireplace. I intend to surround the firebrick chimney with facebrick. I will have an insulation space between the two. My intentions are to pour 5 to 1 vermicrete in all voids between the the fire brick and facebrick. To do this I would have to transfer the weight of the facebrick over the dome side of the chimney to the outside walls. This is what I came up with:

This drawing is by no means true to scale but should help explain the basic concept. Gray areas in the drawing are 6" X 3 and 1/2" reinforced concrete lintels. The ends of each will also serve as corbels for concrete shelves.

I poured the two that you see in the forgeround wrong. They are available for free to a good home. Just pay shipping and handling . I'll not even try to explain that brain fart .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
    Gulf,

I just saw your customed Fleur de lis Keystone on your Picasso Web Album. Awesome Job! Can you make one for me? LOL Just kidding.....well, not really...hehe
    It's not hard to do. With the skills that I recognize that you have, you can do better than that . Actually, I did not think that anyone would notice it on the web album. I was uploading pics and was going to explain later .

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Gulf,

I just saw your customed Fleur de lis Keystone on your Picasso Web Album. Awesome Job! Can you make one for me? LOL Just kidding.....well, not really...hehe

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

A pic of the finnished cladding under the roof over.

Still working over an open ditch. I guess that I am going to have buy a load of washed gravel.
    I managed to set up some speed poles, clean some brick, rework the arch template, and cut some arch bricks. The template was used for the fire place arches. I added 6 bands of thin masonite to create a 1" reveal for the outer door.

I cut and dry stacked as far as I could go. I have about 1 or maybe 3 to many arch bricks cut, but that will allow me to cull and sort.
    The arch bricks and the face bricks of the decorative face will be my last last heat break.

The arch bricks will have a 1/2" gap between them and the firebrick of the chimney. They are beveled back to 1". The face bricks are notched back 1". This should give room for about 1 and 1/2" of vermicrete between the two. As the chimney tapers in I indend to have at least a full 2" of insulation between the firebrick and the face brick as they go thru the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Completed the "roof over" the night before last, just in time for the rains, put the last screw in the ridge cap by feel. It was getting dark. Yesterday (raining) I bought 3 boxes of 1" ceramic fiber insulation (1"X24"X300"). I got them from Distribution International in Jackson, MS. $62.00 a box plus taxes.
    Today, I waisted 2 and 1/2 hours looking for washed gravel in a couple of other beats in my county. I spotted a pile which is not owned by the county, but I will have to get up early tomorrow and will take the 5th admendment from here on out . I finnished the cladding on the dome and cleaned enough brick to get me thru at least tomorrow. I'll be working on the decorative arch while the dome gets a little drying time. First thing though, I will try and get that washed gravel for the french drain .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Started out to do a roof over, ended up trying to install french drains around the stand. Note: Do not build into a retaining wall! It took one whole day to dig it out and install the felt, extra plastic, and drains. I also dug and poured a reinforced concrete pad in each corner for support posts.

The best way to drain this area is was to exit under the retaining wall on the left side of the oven stand. I will have to continue this ditch later and exit about 25 feet in a flower bed or under the deck.
    (had a pic for here but can't find it)
    Edit: here it is.

Any way, I went to the county barn to get a load of washed gravel in my pickup for the french drains, but they were out. I was going to set the posts for the roof over first anyway. I just wasn't expecting to have to build the "roof over" over an open ditch.
    Here is the beginnings of my roof over.

It will allow me to have a the head room to finnish the dome in an igloo for looks and bragging rights (not many pompei ovens in my area, just mine ) and still have a water tight build.
    Last edited by Gulf; 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Sharkey,
    On polished countertops, You have probably already done your research but, just in case: Nic The Landscaper, Neil2 and splatgirl come in to mind. From the work and postings of these (and probably others) I have been looking at YouTube. Search Buddy Rhodes and Fu Tung Chen.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thank's Metal Man and Laku,
    I need all the encouragement that I can get after a day like today. I started out to set post holes for a roof over the dome. (Not an inclosure, just a roof over) I started to dig a post hole and and I got couldn't stop. I decided to go ahead and install a french drain around the "thang". Not a real bad day just one whole day on a shovel.
    I took a couple of pics but, just figured out that the camera was bumped off of automatic focus. I'll try and get some more tomorrow.
    Sharkey,
    Thank's (and do I feel) . I even responded to that post. Or was that Al Z?
    Tu,
    Thank you very much, but I wouldn't go so ar as say'n "another level" (there are a lot of great builds on this site) just maybe a different tangent.
    Last edited by Gulf; 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Nice Job!! You are doing a lot of stuff that I have not seen before on forum. You are taking this project to another level. I just love what you are doing and keep it up. Great Vision!!
    Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I finally got to see how my monolithic arches turned out.

It probably want be used for wood storage. If it was, only the front could be used for this purpose. I have another idea for this space. Not my idea but one that I saw on this site. Someone (I have a double personality, my other self is called Al Zimers) I can't remember who, had a slide out drawer for their oven tools. The door for the "wood storage" was attached to the rolling drawer. It was impressive! Does someone know who did this? I would like to go back and look at it again.
    I will definately paint this area with the waterproof "concrete paint" that I used on top of my tornado shelter. The main reason for this is because "critters" will stand out better against the white back ground.
    Here is the link to Wood on Wheels: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tml#post125410

Your concrete landing is looking good. I'm thinking of doing some polished concrete with a suspended shelf so I will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

You're getting a really nice looking oven!

Leave a comment:

• Metal Man
    replied

Man thats looking really good!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I was looking for a weathered looking broken/rounded edge look for the corbels and the support for the landing/countertop.

If you pull the forms before 24 hours (like I did), that is exactly what you will get, broken edges. If you want to have a little more control over the final product, wait 24, not 12!

I actually rounded them a little more to sort of even things up.

I did not get the form exactly to the top of the center brick. That thin edged broke at the the weakest point, even with the flat edge of the brick. This makes the arch appear to flatten out in the middle. It will take a little strategic grouting or a sharpie to correct.

I plan on trying my hand at a polished concret landing/counterstop to top this off. But, that will probably be one the final touches.

Tomorrow, I will start a permanent shed over this "thang".

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I finally got to see how my monolithic arches turned out.

It probably want be used for wood storage. If it was, only the front could be used for this purpose. I have another idea for this space. Not my idea but one that I saw on this site. Someone (I have a double personality, my other self is called Al Zimers) I can't remember who, had a slide out drawer for their oven tools. The door for the "wood storage" was attached to the rolling drawer. It was impressive! Does someone know who did this? I would like to go back and look at it again.
    I will definately paint this area with the waterproof "concrete paint" that I used on top of my tornado shelter. The main reason for this is because "critters" will stand out better against the white back ground.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

It was raining most of saturday but I managed to get out there late between rains and pour the ledge which will hold up the landing/counter top. I wanted this (like the corbels) to be exposed aggregate. This morning I pulled the face of the forms and wire brushed the forward facing edges.

I spent a good part of the day wrecking the forms in the wood storage and then picking up the job site. It was starting to get a little difficult to walk around this thing. A 16 foot trailor is just about loaded and ready for the land fill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X