X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Hey, the structure is plumb and level, the coursing is a bit, well, not.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Yeah, story poles are a bit overkill for that, levels, my man, levels.

I really do like the design of your enclosure, I just could not resist that shot .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    ........how do you anchor them to the floor/slab?
    That's easy . The trick is a what they are anchored to at the top . These, I anchored to the A frame ceiling joists. When I was attaching them with deck screws I pushed down on them to help place them under a load. A couple of them were still a little loose so I cut some thin shims and drove them underneath the pole to wedge it tight. A little brick mortar set againt them at the bottom also keeps them secure.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yeah, story poles are a bit overkill for that, levels, my man, levels.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Thanks gulf - I will use that system if - as seems likely now - I build an enclosure. They look OK to me how do you anchor them to the floor/slab?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    Hey Gulf ...........what exactly are speed poles and how do you use them?
    Thanks Amac,
    Speed poles are what story poles are mostly referred to around here. They may be called something totally different in your area. They are temporary guides for laying brick. They are set vetically level at the corners of the project. The leveling is all done and each course is layed out prior to starting. A string is pulled from corner to corner around the perimeter of the project and moved upward with each course. If my dad and uncles were still around they would get a kick out of some one "string laying" brick on a project less than six feet wide .

There are normally just one pole per corner. Here you see two because I had stepped in a brick as the chimney narrowed on the sides. The one on the outside was still true with the front so I just left it there.
    Mine are just "make do" speed poles. Someone who does this for a living would get a real kick out of seeing these .

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Hey Gulf - The Queen is, as usual looking - well - majestic
    Got some speed poles set before it started raining
    Pardon a stupid question - but what exactly are speed poles and how do you use them?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I think the compressive strength of the vcrete is fine without the addition of the angle.
    Thank's, I'll save the angle iron for the Cajun Microwave .
    I will however, use a slightly beveled hole brick for that run just to give it a bigger foot print.

Thank's again.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I think the compressive strength of the vcrete is fine without the addition of the angle.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I had a 48" of piece of 2" angle iron which I cut to fit the depth of the chimney minus 3/4".

I can set the 2"X2" facebrick like shown or slightly bevel cut a full brick to set mortar over the V-Crete or both.

Anyone's ideas are welcomed, but I have a question for Tscarborough.
    I have used angle iron in fireplaces, BBQ pitts, and windows. I have never had a problem with them. I was thinking about adding them to help give strength until the V-Crete cured. It will be a week before I lay any brick on top of this course. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Had a change of plan. I decided to step in on each side 1/2 brick to 25 and 1/4" before entering into the underside of the A-Frame.

That will leave a little more ventilation area for the moisture from the V-Crete to escape and will also use a heck of a lot less of it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    Wow, is that an illusion or am I seeing 4 arches in your oven?
    Yep, If you count the facebrick arch. It is structural so I guess it does count. If you go back to page 5 of this thread it will explain a little .

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Wow, is that an illusion or am I seeing 4 arches in your oven?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Got some speed poles set before it started raining. This will be the visible width (34"X24") of the facebrick until it clears the underside of the A-Frame. It will then be inset to the final width to continue through the roof.

Went back into the shed, layed and cut some more face brick for what will enclose the chimney.

The OD of the firebrick liner of the chimney is about 12"X12". The 20"X20" face brick shell will enclose about 2" of V-Crete for insulation.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Did not get much done due to the weather. I did wreck the vertical form on the back of the oven.

That SS tube sticking up on the right is a conduit for the control for the damper. If you look real close to the bottom right of the right hand corbel you can see where (what I call) the choke will be.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

Working...
X