• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Jack lines. What is the difference between the string used for them and that used for horizontal stringlines? (Not for you, Gulf, other readers)
    Tscar, you may have underestimated me . It has been a few days and no bites. Back in the day we always cut ours off the same roll of thin nylon twine as we did for the course lines. That was also the same roll which we made the staging for out trot lines, but I digress.
    What is the difference?
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Jack lines. What is the difference between the string used for them and that used for horizontal stringlines? (Not for you, Gulf, other readers)

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

... just not usually used on columns/chimneys.
    I agree with that. For columns I usually set four vertical strings for the corners and use a level for the individual courses. In a shady dark place, with these old eyes of mine, I find it a little easier to see that bright orange string than that damn near invisible bubble .

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yeah, they are not for novices, just not usually used on columns/chimneys.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Removed those unsightly novice speed poles
    Every bricklayer I know uses them, makes more money that way, so why not...

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Removed those unsightly novice speed poles and I am now into the ceiling of the A frame.

The next step-in will be the 20" X 20" OD. 8 rows will clear the roof .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I forgot to add this expanded pic of the damper control tunnel. The short piece of pipe sandwiched between the washers places the ceramic fiber rope in a little bit of compression. That seems to expand it nearest the outside of the sheath. Not sure if that is important but, I hope it seals off a very small route for the flu gasses and or fire . Damn, I said the F word .

Packed this whole cavity with 6 to 1 vcrete.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Someone who does this for a living would get a real kick out of seeing these .
    No shit?.....

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
    Gulf,

Are you building a castle in Mississippi? Everything looks fantastic by the way!
    Thanks Tu,
    No, just the most difficult 8' X 10' covered that I have ever attempted .
    Wouldn't change a thing though. This is the best therapy I have had since getting out of the nervous hospital .

Just kiddin' ( I mean about the nervous hospital)

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

What is the purpose of a damper on the flue stack? It is either firing or it is not, but I see no advantage either way?
    Hoping to use the oven, extra large vent/fire place area for multipurpose. The damper will help when using the oven as a smoker .

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Gulf,

Are you building a castle in Mississippi? Everything looks fantastic by the way!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

What is the purpose of a damper on the flue stack? It is either firing or it is not, but I see no advantage either way?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Yesterday, I worked on preparing the damper control for brick. I started out by forming a ceramic fiber gasket to fit against the firebrick liner.

Added a ss washer against that and slipped a piece of 3/4" cearmic fiber rope over the whole thing.

Cut a piece of top galvanized fence top rail which I had laying a round and made a sheath to sheild it from the vcrete, mortar and brick.

Ready for brick.

May be a little over kill but, I would not have access or an adjustment for the damper without it.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Not to mention that the black brick are Endicotts and cutting them was like cutting brick made of tungsten.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Hey, the structure is plumb and level, the coursing is a bit, well, not.
    Just kiddin T,
    The wave looks great and had to been a pain in the as to marry with the level courses. I like working a little outside of the box myself .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X