• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Double thanks' Lburou:
    For clarifying your heat break and for those compliments .
    Also scissor truss, I am working off of several years old termanology and a bit of AZ and you are correct. I have been calling my roof over an A frame. That is a little bit ambiguous and the wrong term for this purpose.
    I also chose the scissor truss to get the over hangs low enough to help keep the oven dry and to leave enough head room for me to work on the dome. I also feel that it will help me show case the finished dome.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Thanks' deejayoh,
    I'm glad that I sealed mine from the back also before it was covered up. If I remember correctly Lburou packed his from the inside and left it unsealed. I haven't heard of any adverse reactions....snip....
    I put some rigid insulation around the gap between the inner arch and the entry, then put mortar over that. Your method shows how to take that to the next level. I didn't want anyone t know, but I had some vermiculite seeping through at the bottom of that air space and I solved that by packing glass insulation in the crack to stop it.

BTW, I sure like your scissor trusses, it gives you a lot of latitude in surrounding the chimney.
    Last edited by Lburou; 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

One final note to the blanket. To leave access for the template to be remounted, I cut through the insulation on each pass. I started out with about a 1" square and as each pass went on I cut a larger square. I did not want one hole all the way through to the apex so I hope that cutting them in ever increasing sizes will give enough overlap to help save some heat.

I plan to apply the vcrete up to just short of this cut down and let the vcrete set up a little. Then I willl cut the chicken wire, replace each one from the layer it came, and tie a wire patch over the area.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks' deejayoh,
    I'm glad that I sealed mine from the back also before it was coverd up. If I remember corectly Lburou packed his from the inside and left it unsealed. I haven't heard of any adverse reactions:>

I removed one piece of metal from each side for what I hope is the last time. I had taken the vent cap off placed it all under the tarp that I had been using since day 1. I layed out and precut all the flashing.

Now the roof is complete and the cap back in place, and I am off of that dadgum roof:>

It has had a couple of good rains with no problems.

I got the blanket on and the MQ is getting a little hefty. By the time I get the brick on the dome she will have one heck of a badonkadonk back there .

To get the lapping and coverage the blanket added a little more than the 3" that I had allowed. To still get as close to the 4" of vcrete that I need I cut 2" out of the inside of the template. That puts the dome hanging over the hearth (sides and back) 2 and 1/2". I used the template to lay out a form to cantelever out over the edges. I placed a piece of flashing I had laying around temporarily beween the concrete and the blanket. It should be fairly easy to remove once the concrete cures.
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM. Reason: Forgot pic

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Yeah, its funny - when I was educating myself on all of this, I read back through some of the builds from couple of years ago. There were a number of comments about heat breaks being totally unnecessary. Now they seem to be becoming more the norm - although I think the community consensus on design is evolving. Personally, it didn't make sense to me why, after spending hundreds of dollars on insulation to help retain heat, I would want to leave a giant exposed heat sink on the front of my oven.

As for the caulk - I had to order online, so I don't have it yet. I had initially planned to push the rope in from the back, and caulk the gap from the inside of the arch. But after re-reading your thread - I am thinking about using the caulk behind the rope on the outside of the arch to seal it in that way. That would leave the gap inside empty. I guess over time it will collect a lot of smoke particles, but I wouldn't have to worry about the caulk wearing out.

I'll report back on color and consistency once it arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks' deejayoh,
    A lot of builders are including heat breaks now. Lburou's build was my go to for ideas. Yes,I used Rutland Black rated for 2000 degrees. I think that it is ok for sealing from the rope from the back. But that I will probably end up cleaning that mess out where I sealed the rope from the inside. I did a quick search on the Kaowool caulk that you used. Sounds intersting. Did you seal rope in the break or just use the putty for the gap? What color is it?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I get serious oven envy every time I read this thread. Feels like I built a junior model oven compared to the queen

I have 100% borrowed the way you sealed your heat break. CF rope + putty. It looks like you maybe used rutland gasket cement for the putty? or was it something else? I looked at that stuff, but then ended up ordering Kaowool CF caulk instead. Supposed to work to 2300 degrees and it's also supposed to be insulating. I haven't seen where it has been used by anyone else on the forum, so maybe it will add a new option -especially since more people seem to be adding heatbreaks.

Anyway, great job.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks' ya'll,
    I had hoped the temple theme would go away when I got the Mayan Ruins covered up .
    Tu,
    I would love for you and your family to visit us in the piney woods. I don't know if I can compete with your cooking but, I think that once this thing is finished that I can whoop sump'm up .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tu,

Great description.........temple it is. By the way, I have followed your build closely and going to use your innovation of chafing dish fuel for curing. I see your build made to Lburou's top ten builds.

Russell

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Gulf my friend, you are not only building a super WFO, it is becoming more like a temple. When I light my WFO this Saturday for my daughter's birthday, I will make sure the smoke will head toward your direction to honor the Miss. Queen. I'm bowing toward your direction.

I am looking forward to go to Ms to pay homage to the Queen, for her beauty and grace! And you are not even done dressing her yet!

BTW, congratulation on being add to Lburou's list! Well deserve!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    So, there is a new Mississippi Queen....?
    Well, maybe by the 4th of July. She should be belching smoke by then. Well, at least some curing fires .

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

So, there is a new Mississippi Queen....?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

It was raining this morning so I did not get to finnish flashing the chimney. I got under the dry A frame and worked on a project that I had planned since I decided to go with a wood roof over.

Installing some 5/8" Fire Core Gypsum.

It covers all wood adjacent to the chimney.

I'm not sure that it is necesary but, It makes me more confident that I have bought a little time in the event of a worse case scenario.

I intend to cover it with used corugated tin. (I like the looks of it)
    The gables, soffits, eaves and facias will be covered with 1/2" water and mildew resistant gypsum before the metal is applied.
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    Nice job on the coronation Gulf - at least your lady is not as trashy as this one
    Damn Amac,
    You need to give a little viewer discretion warning or something. I have my beer goggles on right now. I don't know what would have happened if I had of logged in before breakfast .

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Nice job on the coronation Gulf - at least your lady is not as trashy as this one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X