• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Nice score, I am looking forward to seeing it. I am heading to Biloxi in the morning to visit the family, I don't get to MS enough.

Edit, re Stucco: Neither is going to bond well if at all to the copper.
    Welcome back to God's country . (263 Fox Drive, Richton, MS 39476) I wish that I could be at home. I am working 12 hour + days through friday and will be heading back to Gulf Shores friday evening. I was thinking that Russell was going to attach the copper to the dome with screws.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Nice score, I am looking forward to seeing it. I am heading to Biloxi in the morning to visit the family, I don't get to MS enough.

Edit, re Stucco: Neither is going to bond well if at all to the copper.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Thanks Gulf,

Stucco/vcrete under advisement now. Pretty much shut down until spring with the temps and snow. I think your idea is the way to go but won't have to be quite as uniform, pretty, perfect as yours since it will be cladded. Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Gulf,

Have not heard from you in awhile. On your 1/2" wire mesh, were you able to get enough bite with the 1 1/2" roofing screws into the v-crete? I am now going to clad my oven with copper and looking to put a vcrete cover over my insulation but not sure if the vcrete is strong enough to accept a screw. Maybe if I reduce the ratio of vermiculite to cement I could get more structural strength but lose some insulation properties. I would still have 3" of ceramic fiber insulation underneath. What you think?
    It is deer season in Mississippi. ( a lot of vacation time is scheduled for this time of year down here ) I have been trying to juggle my share of the overtime to "fill in" with installing some ceramic tile floors in a condo in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Not much time for the oven .

I was able to get enough bite with these course screws, but I found that each one had to be torqued by hand with a screw driver. One turn to much caused them to pull out. Cutting the mesh in "isoceles trapezoid" shapes, makes it all work just fine. This keeps the tension off of the screws until the stucco can dry, and then (if they are left exposed) the screws can be removed. But this, like me, is an antique practice . I think that David S. has a better idea by using fibers to reinforce the stucco. Either way, I think that It would be best to put a layer of stucco between the vcrete and and the Copper Dome. The stuccu would allow for a stronger attacment layer for the copper than naked vcrete.
    I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!
    Last edited by Gulf; 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Have not heard from you in awhile. On your 1/2" wire mesh, were you able to get enough bite with the 1 1/2" roofing screws into the v-crete? I am now going to clad my oven with copper and looking to put a vcrete cover over my insulation but not sure if the vcrete is strong enough to accept a screw. Maybe if I reduce the ratio of vermiculite to cement I could get more structural strength but lose some insulation properties. I would still have 3" of ceramic fiber insulation underneath. What you think?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thank's Ya'll,
    Especially, for the kick in the buttocks to get'er fired up . I really thought that I could handle both the "bead curing" and pouring the rest of my landing, mantle, and shelves this weekend. Keeping the oven at temp took a little more attention than I had figured. I was able to get everything ready for my next day off at home. It won't be this next weekened, though. I am going to the "Redneck Riviera" to install some tile floors in a friend's condo.
    Origionally posted by Tu
    Just want to warn you that when you start to continuous cooking boudin and cracklin' in your WFO, you are going to have a lot of "coonasses" (including myself) migrating from south central Louisiana to your neck of woods.
    Tu,
    Thank's for the welcomed warning, and let's hope that the rest of the country doesn't find out that boudin ain't 'exactly" a sausage or just how good it really is. If they did, it might really get really crowded down here .

Orgionally posted by deejayoh
    I love the roller method. I found when I put my landing on my oven, even 3 more inches of reach really changed the cooking experience. Wait till you start trying to place logs on banked coals...
    Dennis,
    I have actually had that thought in my mind (thank's to KD's warning) for months. I think that I can use the roller to my advantage in doing just that... and a few other things .

Origianally posted by Laurentius
    No problem, roller already installed.
    My roller is not actually installed, It is attached to an adjustable tripod that I can set in place when needed. I have a couple of ideas of making the roller itself a quick connect to the landing. I don't think that I would want it "in the way" all of the time, but time will tell .

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Look like you find a perfect way to celebrate Saints second victories and first fire by enjoying your WFO boudin. WFO boudin tastes a lot better than steamed boudin. Just want to warn you that when you start to continuous cooking boudin and cracklin' in your WFO, you are going to have a lot of "coonasses" (including myself) migrating from south central Louisiana to your neck of woods.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

No problem, roller already installed.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Nice work Gulf. I love the roller method. I found when I put my landing on my oven, even 3 more inches of reach really changed the cooking experience. Wait till you start trying to place logs on banked coals...

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Way to go, beer and sausages!! Congrats on start of curing.
    Did someone say beer and sausages. How come I was not invited....

Chip

PS: ditto on the congrats..

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Way to go, beer and sausages!! Congrats on start of curing.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I'm still working on the curing. It did not take near as much charcoal to keep the temp up last night and even less today. Less charcoal and less loadings. I was beginning to think that 8 bags was not going to be enough. I think that 8 bags will be a plenty.
    I couldn't let all that heat go to waste. I through in a couple of scupanine vine wood cuttings and a couple of hickory nuts for smoke. I placed one of my favorite snacks in the oven high on my make shift tuscan to heat up and soak up a little of that smoke.

Boudin

Here it is served with the recomended wine .

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

"Antique Back", got that! Creaky knees, that's a breeze and a friend of Arthr, just like brother. So I should be thinking like Albert Einstein? Not.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Origionally posted by Laurentius
    Cool. One thing about us Americans, we know how to innovate. Now I must find a way to incorporate a roller, I will make mine's brass.
    I'll probably have to settle for brass colored paint unless I win the lottery, and an antique back also helps spur innovation .

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Cool. One thing about us Americans, we know how to innovate. Now I must find a way to incorporate a roller, I will make mine's brass.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X