Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    I do find that I make Pizza much less than bread, roasts and other cooked items, Pizza is about #6 on the list in terms of frequency. Making Cornbread and egg bake for tomorrow.
    Chip,
    I had to look up egg bake. Sounds great! I found out sort of late in life that there are northern recipees for cornbread. I liked the one that I was served, but it was a lot different than the course yellow cornbread that I grew up with. I would like to try some southern style cornbread later in the WFO. Maybe even some cracklin bread.

Between storms this morning I, removed the brisket from the oven. It had been in there about 12 hours.

I added a little more BBQ basting and covered it back up to be reheated for a little soiree tonight .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The brisket turned out pretty good. Not like what I was raised with, but still good .
      I'm glad that I got all the cooking done yesterday. Today started with rain and looks like it will end with storms. We are currently under a tornado warning and everyone is in the saferoom for a while. I got the french drain finished today between rains. Two good sized pickup truck loads of gravel, by shovel .
      Christmas is supposed to be at least cool weather in MS. Short sleeves and tornadoes are usually a spring thing .

Merry Christmas.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf. Happy new year. We have a smoked turkey from a local barbecue place over the holidays that was delicious. I'm thinking about replicating the same in my oven. I don't have an amazing ante chamber with the flu like you do just the standard 42 inch dome and chimney. I was thinking about putting the bird on raised rack with a pan underneath to catch drips starting when the oven is down to 275. I was going to see if I can get my thermometer probe in the bird and out the door. So how can I get good smoke in there? I am afraid that wet chips on the coals will dry out and ignite. Thoughts?
        dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
        sigpic

Comment

Put a layer of ash on the coals, once it starts smoking close the door and it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dvm View Post
            Hi Gulf. Happy new year. We have a smoked turkey from a local barbecue place over the holidays that was delicious. I'm thinking about replicating the same in my oven. I don't have an amazing ante chamber with the flu like you do just the standard 42 inch dome and chimney. I was thinking about putting the bird on raised rack with a pan underneath to catch drips starting when the oven is down to 275. I was going to see if I can get my thermometer probe in the bird and out the door. So how can I get good smoke in there? I am afraid that wet chips on the coals will dry out and ignite. Thoughts?
            I intend to try every suggestion that I read about on this site. Laurentius' technique should work. The hardwood should not flame up if it is starved for oxygen (closing the door).

I don't have a problem with building multiple doors in order to make the most of what I am sure will be a multiple purpose oven. It is just in the idea stages, but I was thinking about a portable sidesmoker type of arangement. Ducting the sidesmoker to the bottom of a specialy made door and venting it near the top. The inlet may have to extend into the oven a few inches to a foot inside the oven in order to permeate the oven with smoke instead of it escaping right back out the vent.

Comment

275 is not hot enough for a bird, birds like medium heat like 325-350, as it get the skin nice and crispy, ofcourse you have to manage it so you dont burn the bird and give a good distance from the fire. As far as smoking goes, i would just gather small amounts of ambers from your wood and put a nice chunk of fruit wood over it, dont bother with chips, they will go out in no time. Put a nice chunk in there and enjoy the aroma. Chew on this while you think of more ideas, its no bird but you will like it, i did this a few months ago.
              12 HR Smoked Pork Butt. (Pron Galore) -.
              Last edited by V-wiz; 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM.
              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Great pics V-wiz!. I got a little hungry before I could scroll all the way to the bottom. Smokin' and BBQ'n is getting more high tech every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  Great pics V-wiz!. I got a little hungry before I could scroll all the way to the bottom. Smokin' and BBQ'n is getting more high tech every day.
                  Haha, thanks, it could get all fancy and shmancy, but keeping it simple and true is the way to go.

Comment

Great conversation an excellent ideas as usual gentleman. Golf when you make that door why not put the smoke in at the top and vent from the bottom? For now I'm going to keep it simple lighting a fire now I'll let you know how it turns out
                    dvm

sigpic

Comment

.......why not put the smoke in at the top and vent from the bottom?......
                      That's a good point. It should keep the smoke in and retain the heat longer with that arangement.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Great conversation an excellent ideas as usual gentleman. Golf when you make that door why not put the smoke in at the top and vent from the bottom?
                        Because heat rises? I think I'm missing something
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I am thinking that in some cases the oven would be used for smoking on the decline. The temperature would be from the retained heat in the brick. The smoke would have some heat also which should initially rise filling the oven from the top down. Venting at the bottom should retain more smoke and heat in the oven. After thinking about DVM's question/suggestion, I think that venting it at the top would make it a little too easy for the rising smoke and retained heat from the oven to escape.

It is just a theory .

Comment

V-wiz,
                            it doesn't matter if the temp is 250 or 350, the bird couldn't care less as long as you get the internal temp up to where its safe to eat. Many modern chefs are browning their birds with blow torches, these days. There are some (true smokers) on this forum, but those of us the relish the subtle flavor of our favorite wood or spices in our food, can accomplish this in our ovens with only a heat saturated oven, and a welled sealed insulated door. Mind you it is not what the purist would call smoked, by any means, but for us novices, it makes every meat eater in our neighborhood Drools.

Comment

The reason why i suggested the higher temp for birds was because of the skin, or else any temp given the right amount of time will work. You definetly can smoke in an oven, all it takes is wood heat and a enclosed chamber

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Fist meat from (my) oven was moist and smokey.
                                dvm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X