Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Finally got around to my favorite brick related task tuckpointing I guess I have been putting it off. I rolled out the air compresser and cleaned the joints before starting.

After that fun was over I then set the CalSil collar.

I cut three small bands of 1/4" galvanized construction cloth and shaped them to fit around chimney side of the collar. The Dome side was just cladded in the 1/2" to 3/4" thickness that I am cladding the dome. Here is the first 1/4".
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looking really good Gulf.

Comment

Thank's Jerry,
        I plan on getting this build to at least cooking stage, if not finnished by spring. My wife says we will be riding by then. She's the boss We've done the lower Natchez Trace (Kosciusco to Natchez). I have been informed that we will ride from Kosciusco to Nashville then. Looking forward to seeing Tupelo.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looking great! Which took longer, the dome or the chimney?
          Jeff
          My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
            Looking great! Which took longer, the dome or the chimney?
            I am not really sure, but I would have to say it was the chimney. since I had a real direction from plenty of great builds out there to imulate for the dome. As for as the chimney, it is a work in progress. It is by far not finnished. When you try to match what others have done with cutting chimney liners to make a smooth transition, the heatbreak pioneers out there, and an attempt to add a little of your own life experince, there is a tiny little bit of possibility to overbuild

Comment

You have come a long way with the oven so far.But spring is just around the corner haha

I need to get off my butt and start mine.Just seams like life keeps getting in the way.

The Natchez Trace rocks...just watch out for the wild life lol.All though i don't have a bike i have made the trip from tupelo to Natchez on the Trace a few times. And I've made it across the Tenn/Miss line on the Trace before but have not made it to as far as Nashville yet.The trace is defiantly one of the most scenic roads to ride in this part of the county. I actualy live just a few miles off the Trace so i drive it daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Man View Post

I need to get off my butt and start mine.Just seams like life keeps getting in the way.
                Get started, Next to riding it is one of the best therapies out there. In the words of another of the world's greatest living phylosophers (larry the cable guy)
                "Get-R-Done"

Comment

It was raining most of saturday but I managed to get out there late between rains and pour the ledge which will hold up the landing/counter top. I wanted this (like the corbels) to be exposed aggregate. This morning I pulled the face of the forms and wire brushed the forward facing edges.

I spent a good part of the day wrecking the forms in the wood storage and then picking up the job site. It was starting to get a little difficult to walk around this thing. A 16 foot trailor is just about loaded and ready for the land fill.

Comment

I finally got to see how my monolithic arches turned out.

It probably want be used for wood storage. If it was, only the front could be used for this purpose. I have another idea for this space. Not my idea but one that I saw on this site. Someone (I have a double personality, my other self is called Al Zimers) I can't remember who, had a slide out drawer for their oven tools. The door for the "wood storage" was attached to the rolling drawer. It was impressive! Does someone know who did this? I would like to go back and look at it again.
                    I will definately paint this area with the waterproof "concrete paint" that I used on top of my tornado shelter. The main reason for this is because "critters" will stand out better against the white back ground.

Comment

I was looking for a weathered looking broken/rounded edge look for the corbels and the support for the landing/countertop.

If you pull the forms before 24 hours (like I did), that is exactly what you will get, broken edges. If you want to have a little more control over the final product, wait 24, not 12!

I actually rounded them a little more to sort of even things up.

I did not get the form exactly to the top of the center brick. That thin edged broke at the the weakest point, even with the flat edge of the brick. This makes the arch appear to flatten out in the middle. It will take a little strategic grouting or a sharpie to correct.

I plan on trying my hand at a polished concret landing/counterstop to top this off. But, that will probably be one the final touches.

Tomorrow, I will start a permanent shed over this "thang".

Comment

Man thats looking really good!

Comment

You're getting a really nice looking oven!

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            I finally got to see how my monolithic arches turned out.

It probably want be used for wood storage. If it was, only the front could be used for this purpose. I have another idea for this space. Not my idea but one that I saw on this site. Someone (I have a double personality, my other self is called Al Zimers) I can't remember who, had a slide out drawer for their oven tools. The door for the "wood storage" was attached to the rolling drawer. It was impressive! Does someone know who did this? I would like to go back and look at it again.
                            I will definately paint this area with the waterproof "concrete paint" that I used on top of my tornado shelter. The main reason for this is because "critters" will stand out better against the white back ground.
                            Here is the link to Wood on Wheels: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tml#post125410

Your concrete landing is looking good. I'm thinking of doing some polished concrete with a suspended shelf so I will be keeping an eye on your progress.
                            Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Nice Job!! You are doing a lot of stuff that I have not seen before on forum. You are taking this project to another level. I just love what you are doing and keep it up. Great Vision!!
                              Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM.
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Thank's Metal Man and Laku,
                                I need all the encouragement that I can get after a day like today. I started out to set post holes for a roof over the dome. (Not an inclosure, just a roof over) I started to dig a post hole and and I got couldn't stop. I decided to go ahead and install a french drain around the "thang". Not a real bad day just one whole day on a shovel.
                                I took a couple of pics but, just figured out that the camera was bumped off of automatic focus. I'll try and get some more tomorrow.
                                Sharkey,
                                Thank's (and do I feel) . I even responded to that post. Or was that Al Z?
                                Tu,
                                Thank you very much, but I wouldn't go so ar as say'n "another level" (there are a lot of great builds on this site) just maybe a different tangent.
                                Last edited by Gulf; 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X