Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I transitioned the to an 8" 1/8" SS round just in case I may have misfigured Brickies allowances for nearby structures. I also have a tree line due South of the oven. I am allowing the possibility of adding a double wall section 8" SS vent and cap which I picked up at a local salvage dealer for a good price.

I did not shell out for an anchor plate. This 4 and 1/2" piece of SS was scrap and I think that that once it is surounded by Vcrete and brick, it will be anchored just fine.

Tomorrow I hope to begin the MQ's crown .

Gulf,

That SS sleeve is quite thick at 1/8" it will have enormous power when it heats up faster than its surrounding brickwork and could fracture your brick courses. Or is that ceramic blanket you have surrounded it with, pre-empting the problem? I cracked castable refractory on two ovens a few years ago using SS at 1.2 mm thick and casting directly up to it. They both cracked in the same place.The vermicrete is ok because it has some elasticity.

Dave
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks' ya'll,

Brickie,
      I believe that was the illustration that you used. When I find the thread, I will link it back to the whole discussion.

Amac,
      In the lower sections, I used vcrete to have something substantial to support the brick where I stepped in. I also was hoping that the vcrete would add a little strength for the knotched face brick.

David,
      At the base of the sleeve I used flat ceramic fiber rope insulation to seperate it from the brick at the rough little transition. It's a little hard to see in the pic. I'm going up 2 more rows and will fill that void with vcrete also.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I finished those 2 rows and cut some brick to encapsulate the sleeve

I had (and still have) every intention of completing this build as a WFO brick oven. However, summer heat, the approaching dog days, and my need to get on with this build have led me to take what I call a short cut.
        In my mind I see the Mississippi Queen with an arched brick cap (crown).
        I decided for at least for the time being to install the the cap from the 8" section that I bought in order to get off of this damn roof for a while .
        Last edited by Gulf; 06-06-2012, 02:00 AM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I layed about 1/2" of mortar around the opening and leveled it as best as I could and the set the cap in sort of like a cookie cutter and removed the rest of the mortar.

A large candle holder (complete with a fluer de lis), some black grill spray paint and good portion of budweiser produced this.

The Queen has at least a temporary crown >

Comment

Dude! The crown is the bomb - excellent touch!
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gulf,
              Your flair for creativity is fantastic. Neat finale.

Russell
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Wow, Thanks' Ya'll,
                I wasn't sure how that would be accepted, but thanks' a bunch.
                I think that this "creativity" as Utah describes just might be a reflection me liking my women just a tad on the trashy side.
                Last edited by Gulf; 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nice job on the coronation Gulf - at least your lady is not as trashy as this one
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                    Nice job on the coronation Gulf - at least your lady is not as trashy as this one
                    Damn Amac,
                    You need to give a little viewer discretion warning or something. I have my beer goggles on right now. I don't know what would have happened if I had of logged in before breakfast .

Comment

It was raining this morning so I did not get to finnish flashing the chimney. I got under the dry A frame and worked on a project that I had planned since I decided to go with a wood roof over.

Installing some 5/8" Fire Core Gypsum.

It covers all wood adjacent to the chimney.

I'm not sure that it is necesary but, It makes me more confident that I have bought a little time in the event of a worse case scenario.

I intend to cover it with used corugated tin. (I like the looks of it)
                      The gables, soffits, eaves and facias will be covered with 1/2" water and mildew resistant gypsum before the metal is applied.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

So, there is a new Mississippi Queen....?
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                          So, there is a new Mississippi Queen....?
                          Well, maybe by the 4th of July. She should be belching smoke by then. Well, at least some curing fires .

Comment

Gulf my friend, you are not only building a super WFO, it is becoming more like a temple. When I light my WFO this Saturday for my daughter's birthday, I will make sure the smoke will head toward your direction to honor the Miss. Queen. I'm bowing toward your direction.

I am looking forward to go to Ms to pay homage to the Queen, for her beauty and grace! And you are not even done dressing her yet!

BTW, congratulation on being add to Lburou's list! Well deserve!
                            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Tu,

Great description.........temple it is. By the way, I have followed your build closely and going to use your innovation of chafing dish fuel for curing. I see your build made to Lburou's top ten builds.

Russell
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks' ya'll,
                                I had hoped the temple theme would go away when I got the Mayan Ruins covered up .
                                Tu,
                                I would love for you and your family to visit us in the piney woods. I don't know if I can compete with your cooking but, I think that once this thing is finished that I can whoop sump'm up .

Comment

Working...
                                X